how my new build went sideways

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
first thing i'll admit to, is although i am happy to spend the money on new hardware i'm rather cheap. i'll be waiting for stuff to go on sale, i don't care if my system looks pretty. if i can keep something going you can bet i will.

please excuse the blurry pics, my phone wasn't cooperating so much. the camera on the htc m8 is kinda crappy.

so here's my tale of woe with my new build. first, my old system:
core2 e8400
4gb ddr2-800
ati radeon HD6850

and some other crap we don't care about. as you can see, it's about had it. still works but it flat out cannot run new games...i've been aching to play witcher 3, fallout 4 and this POS can't do it. it's water cooled, heavily overclocked and done me well. never said she was pretty:

IMAG0888.jpg

i figured it was about high time to give this old antec 900 case a cleaning and to clean out my water loop. doesn't look THAT bad in the pic, right?? well i started to tear it down and here's what i found:

IMAG0893.jpg

i had two like this....the two front fans. in my defense, they haven't worked in years. i managed to break the wires around 5 years ago and i was too lazy to repair them until now. so i've had gentile airflow coming in from back fans and those not turning....gross!

i ended up using my air compressor to blast all this garbage off outside. worked well. hope the neighbours didn't mind since that was at midnight-1am.

so now i'm feeling pretty good about myself! cleaned up, wires repaired, time to start dumping the new hardware in! here's what i got:

i5 6600k (skylake)
16GB g.skill 3200 DDR4
asus strix GTX970
gigabyte Z170MX gaming 5

IMAG0887.jpg

my old hardware i kept:
psu: corsair 650HX (should be plenty, no SLI plans)
LG blu-ray
1x samsung evo 850 250GB SSD
1x WD green 3TB
1x WD 250GB drive...its about8 years old!

now this is when shit starts going sideways...in a bad way. i figured my old apogee GT water block will fit just fine with my new cpu. S775 -> LGA 1151. about the same phsyical size, sure why not? appeared to fit...until i tried to fit them up. turns out the S775 mounting holes are 72mm square spacing.....LGA1151 is 75mm!!

obviously this won't fit. i don't even want to know why intel decided that this was a good idea. maybe just for shits and giggles? i hope someone got a good laugh out of this! the worst part was that this is about 2am now. i want my new parts running! the CPU doesn't come with a heatsink either...well i'll be damned if i'm going to let this old me back! time for a bit of ghetto modding.

searching around the garage, here's the first thing i came across to cannibalize for my insane purposes:

IMAG0898.jpg

yes, it's an old rusty steel ruler! hello my new friend:)

IMAG0903.jpg

cut a bit of clearance on the original plate...

IMAG0906.jpg

here's the old bottom plate. obviously won't fit....but tinsnips help!

IMAG0909.jpg

IMAG0912.jpg

and the final product in all it's glory! F you intel. F you very much.

IMAG0916.jpg

now with a video card, i like to put them on water but i don't normally do so immediately - i like to stress test them first to see if its functioning correctly or if i have to RMA the card. this leads me to problem #2: THE CARD WON'T FIT INTO MY CASE!!! guess water is the only option since its the length of the heatsink that is the problem.

IMAG0917.jpg

after all this, yes it works. i was having some problems with the old 250GB drive stalling, but i think i got it working now. i believe that it was the LG optical drive causing this...and a firmware update seems to have solved it. WHAT?!?!? i don't know...it makes no sense but i'll take it. if it comes back i'll try a windows reinstall or some other crap.

needless to say, my wiring is a complete donkey. this case really doesn't have the room for all these parts. not that i tried very hard...maybe one day i'll get a new case with more room in it.....maybe.

so now there's only one thing left to do: load up one of the hottest new games that'll push my new system to its max!

image.jpg

bench.jpg

SHABOOM!!!!

Good job improvising to get it running with what you had.

I certainly know what it's like to be almost completed with an upgrade project at 2am and need a part.
Most of us have probably had that, "I want it now!" instant gratification thing going on.

I have to say that you guys who pump water through an expensive box of electronics are completely nuts though. :)

eh its not so risky as you'd think. good tubing, gear clamps on everything and i use nothing but deionized water with a couple drops of good 'ol PT nuke. deionized water doesn't conduct electricity so well...

glad you liked my half-assed solution :) might try to improve it...one day....maybe...did i mention that i'm lazy?

Hey, nice vaporiser, looks like a pretty beefy mod. What flavours you vaping?

I like how you say "im lazy" right after spending the better part of the night fabricating parts for CPU block lol

Did pretty much the same thing to get an old AquaComputer CPU block on an 8800GTX years ago, but I used steel bracketing from Lowes and pieces of an orange yoga mat I cut up to help better distribute the pressure. In fact, since someone at Intel thought it would be a great idea to put surface mount components in the socket area on the back of the DZ77GA-70K, I had to use some of the trusty old yoga mat again recently to avoid shorts.

Hey, nice vaporiser, looks like a pretty beefy mod. What flavours you vaping?

Thanks. It's an aspire Pegasus, magma dripper. Dual 27 ga coils, comes out around the 0.8 ohm mark.

I think I was vaping one of the flavours from my local store... I think it was 'just right' which is supposed to be oatmeal and brown sugar.

Either way, it's kept me off the smokes completely for 2 years now :)

Thanks. It's an aspire Pegasus, magma dripper. Dual 27 ga coils, comes out around the 0.8 ohm mark.

I think I was vaping one of the flavours from my local store... I think it was 'just right' which is supposed to be oatmeal and brown sugar.

Either way, it's kept me off the smokes completely for 2 years now :)

Nice job man! I'm suggesting Nicotine vapours to all my mates who want to kick cigarettes. I'm a fan of Kanger equipment myself, but the range available in Australia is limited. I'm running the Subtank Nano with some generic battery mod.

By the way, The DIY on your rig makes it look awesome, WAY cooler than typical stock. You've got something to be proud of there, then again: I'm a huge fan of the industrial look.

Nice job man! I'm suggesting Nicotine vapours to all my mates who want to kick cigarettes. I'm a fan of Kanger equipment myself, but the range available in Australia is limited. I'm running the Subtank Nano with some generic battery mod.

By the way, The DIY on your rig makes it look awesome, WAY cooler than typical stock. You've got something to be proud of there, then again: I'm a huge fan of the industrial look.

thanks for the kind words, glad you like my ghetto build :p i just don't care what my computers look like - i want them to be functional. beyond that, it doesn't matter to me. maybe i'm a little nuts but i'm OK with that.

how do you like the subtank? i used to swear by kanger when i started. my first was an old protank 2 mini...later got an aerotank mini and a genitank. both were ok, but i had problems with dry hits from the newer atomizers which made me give them up. i've rebuilt them with cotton but its such a pain in the ass it wasn't worth it.

i'm in canada so its not as limited, but still not as great as the US. certain juices i can't get so easily. for work i use a very simple nautilus mini and a dead simple 1300mAh ego style battery with the votlage knob on the end. i work at a nuclear plant so i have some additional restrictions in my job that most don't have to deal with. refilling and recharging is just too much hassle - and i need it to last for 12 hours. this does the trick even if it is unexciting.

In Canada at a nuclear plant... hmm. I live in Canada and work next to one. How odd.

thanks for the kind words, glad you like my ghetto build :p i just don't care what my computers look like - i want them to be functional. beyond that, it doesn't matter to me. maybe i'm a little nuts but i'm OK with that.

how do you like the subtank? i used to swear by kanger when i started. my first was an old protank 2 mini...later got an aerotank mini and a genitank. both were ok, but i had problems with dry hits from the newer atomizers which made me give them up. i've rebuilt them with cotton but its such a pain in the ass it wasn't worth it.

i'm in canada so its not as limited, but still not as great as the US. certain juices i can't get so easily. for work i use a very simple nautilus mini and a dead simple 1300mAh ego style battery with the votlage knob on the end. i work at a nuclear plant so i have some additional restrictions in my job that most don't have to deal with. refilling and recharging is just too much hassle - and i need it to last for 12 hours. this does the trick even if it is unexciting.

sometimes the best looking equipment is the equipment designed first-and-foremost for function. Some of the most iconic jets and cars are amazing to look at without ever having been intended to be beautiful: but our brains see that every inch of them is engineered and functional. So hey, to each their own. My system has a whole bunch of lights, colour coordination, etc and in the end I probably wasted money on all of it because it does nothing to give me more performance. So who's the crazy one?

Yeah, I've actually increased my actual smoking amount (I didn't smoke much before vaping, 1 or 2 a day, now I'm pretty much chain-vaping whenever I'm outside of a building!) so I find that the subtank nano only lasts 3 hours of my chain-vaping before I have to fill it. That works out perfectly for a work day, where I only have 3 or so hours outside; but on days off it gets a bit tedious. I hate the look of the big, bulky tanks, and I love the quality of the vapour that the kanger produces, so I don't want to give it up. I'm a bit picky like that.

Back