How much would you pay over MSRP for a 3080/3090?

How much over MSRP would you spend on a 3080/3090?

• Total voters
MSRP on these things is already highway robbery. Supporting scalpers is straight up immoral.

fine fine fine. I'll add extra value by painting it yellow and writing cyberpunk 2077 on the side

Considering past events with previous generation, and issues with current ones. Nary a bit above MSRP

I'll gladly pay $100 more for a cooler that's more efficient and, most importantly for me, quieter.

I already replaced the default cooler on my 1080Ti with an arctic accelerro 3 due to fan noise annoyance and, frankly, I'd rather just have a super quiet and competent cooler installed from the factory than do that again.

Not giving scalpers a damned cent though.

Last edited:
Paying for value isn't called scalping

This is you paying more for the same thing.

There's no shortage of cards. Scalpers are creating an artificial shortage and artificially inflating prices. It should be illegal.

Well i mean there is a shortage of cards. If supply wasn't a problem, I could go to Amazon and get one tomorrow. Not to mention all these returns due to capacitors I've been hearing about. Scalpers can make a situation worse, yes, but they can't make a bad situation by themselves.

As a side note, I do not understand the people hating on 3080 scalpers yet having no qualms about buying the 3090 - a product that is 2x the cost but only 10-15% the improvement. I guess it isn't scalping if Nvidia does it.
What's not to understand? The 3090 has 2.4x more RAM, 10-15% speed improvement and more cores. That is not Nvidia scalping, you are trying to be overly dramatic at what you believe is a poor value for the money based only on performance. If they released the 3090 w/ 10-15% improvement with the same number of cores and the same amount of ram for 2x the price then your "side note" would have more weight.

I would mind spending extra 50 bucks in an AIB that has better cooling and factor overclock. Assuming it does not suffer from crashes like the current models.

I paid Just over $100 more than retail at a retail store. I got the MSI Ventus 3x. I must admit its a sweet card. I have done nothing to it and ive seen it as high as 1985. No throttling.

Nothing. I'll wait until the idiocy dies down. I'm the guy that stocks up on candy the day after Valentines Day and Easter. :D

Same here,wife and I have always been the types to stock up a year or two on all food items.
Covid-1984 has had us triple down on all of this. Two 7.2 foot freezers and a 15 foot freezer full of meat,cheese,fish,etc,with a small back up generator. Years worth of Rice,beans,Barley,Oats,peanut butter,organic honey,Vitamins,ground coffee,teas,and yes lots of candy :)
We just pickled over 590 free range eggs using a Ninja Foodi 8Qrt. Back on topic: As for this launch,I broke that rule and paid a hair over MSRP,but just a tiny bit. I did a pre order offered by CanadaComputes,in person only at the time, on launch day. Cash up front ,100% and initially we were given NO ETA at all. Days later an email said 2 to 3 weeks. 14 days later they emailed me to pick up the card and bring my ID and receipt. I got it,installed it,oc'd it,and then had to leave on business. Wont be back home until the 15th of November. Stock will normalize in the next 3+ months ,but shipping and customs is a logistics nightmare with the cough and the fear mongering going on over it.

Love your name Manny. Grim fandango was a great game

Thanks! :)
Its in my top 7 all time favorite games played,along with PlaneScape:Torment from 1998,Sanitarium(1997),Disco Elysium,Deus Ex (2000),Vampire The Masquerade Redemption(2000),Mass Effect(2008),Pathologic.
What made you use Rev. Night ?

Nobody likes scalpers, I don't know why you are trying to convince us otherwise. Paying over MSRP for something that depreciates is stupid.

After a few days of checking the urge and desire wore off. Now, frankly I've just got a resentment and a bad taste over this whole affair. Under NO circumstances will I buy one off eBay. I want those who sucked up all available cards to hang on to them for a very very VERY long time. Rot in hell scalpers. I don't NEED one that badly and have control of my urges. I will not be part of the problem buy buying a scalped card.

Same here,wife and I have always been the types to stock up a year or two on all food items.
Covid-1984 has had us triple down on all of this. Two 7.2 foot freezers and a 15 foot freezer full of meat,cheese,fish,etc,with a small back up generator. Years worth of Rice,beans,Barley,Oats,peanut butter,organic honey,Vitamins,ground coffee,teas,and yes lots of candy :)
We just pickled over 590 free range eggs using a Ninja Foodi 8Qrt. Back on topic: As for this launch,I broke that rule and paid a hair over MSRP,but just a tiny bit. I did a pre order offered by CanadaComputes,in person only at the time, on launch day. Cash up front ,100% and initially we were given NO ETA at all. Days later an email said 2 to 3 weeks. 14 days later they emailed me to pick up the card and bring my ID and receipt. I got it,installed it,oc'd it,and then had to leave on business. Wont be back home until the 15th of November. Stock will normalize in the next 3+ months ,but shipping and customs is a logistics nightmare with the cough and the fear mongering going on over it.

I hope you have friends and lots of ammo to defend that stuff when SHTF.

Anyway, good to hear you got your card.

I'm signed up very early on the EVGA Auto Notify list. I already have one card and expect to get notified as soon as all the other models come in stock. I'm thinking about just buying all of them and selling them on HardForum for just what I have in them. No upcharge except what I paid in tax and shipping. Give back to HardForum.

Nothing, I hate when they do this with vehicles and refuse to pay ADM.

I'm signed up very early on the EVGA Auto Notify list. I already have one card and expect to get notified as soon as all the other models come in stock. I'm thinking about just buying all of them and selling them on HardForum for just what I have in them. No upcharge except what I paid in tax and shipping. Give back to HardForum.
Do it in raffle style and limit it to users who have at least 300+ posts and have had an account for at least a few years. Just to make sure a solid established user gets it.

If I could pay an extra $200 to avoid the headache I think I but only after another month of this. I have some notifications on the 18 from EVGA so I'm much less stressed about it now.

At this point, I'm considering just not buying one period. All this BS for a videocard? lol. My FOMO has run its course...

Reactions: noko
like this
Why anyone would buy a graphics card now with amd right around the corner is beyond me. Holiday season upcoming too

AMD cards will be just as hard to get, the mid/lower tier models will only launch early next year and the holiday season rush will make something that is already extremely hard to get even harder to get.

AMD cards will be just as hard to get, the mid/lower tier models will only launch early next year and the holiday season rush will make something that is already extremely hard to get even harder to get.
One would think for high priced items, Christmas would make it harder to afford a new high end GPU due to all the other stuff that gets bought during that period of time. Oops, credit, folks just go into debt. I attempted to purchase a 3080 several times, no go, Nvidia does not want to sell me a card. Now knowing 20gb version is coming, performance of RNDA2 is looking good -> Not interested in a 10gb 3080.

The fact that AMD previewed results that are sub 3080 means that we are mainly looking at price and any surprise features. Gsync, DLSS and superior RT would clinch a small Nvidia price premium for me.

Given that TSMC 7nm is significantly more expensive than Sammy “8nm” and chip production is the primary “hard cost” factor here - I suspect that AMD will have limited options to severely undercut Nvidia on price if they are going to release a 16gb card (with a 256 bit bus, that’s a pretty good guess). AMD are much more profitable now and could live with smaller margins on a low volume product for halo reasons, I suppose, which would be a huge win for consumers. Look at Zen3 prices though - not counting on cheap AMD cards if the performance is close.

I don’t expect to be surprised by AMD but hope they can pull one out of the hat.

About $50 to $100 or so.

My logic: paying over the common retail price for a card is equivalent to a short term rental of the card for the duration that I otherwise would be unlikely to get it. Now if someone were to let me use their RTX 3080 for a 3 month period, and ask me how much I was willing to pay, I'd say about $20 a month. You may be willing to pay more... or less... $20 is my number based on how much I game, and the card I have today. So, I figure I'm willing to pay $60 or so premium to get it three months in advance. of course, I have no idea whether these things will remain scarce through January, or be common as dirt next week.

Other considerations:
- time is money; my time spent reading forums like these to figure out how to get a card--or even understand when I'm likely to--probably eats that cost.
- the sooner I got a card, the sooner I could offload the one that I have.... that also could be the difference between $60 in pocket vs. lost.

So overall I don't mind a small premium.

About $50 to $100 or so.

My logic: paying over the common retail price for a card is equivalent to a short term rental of the card for the duration that I otherwise would be unlikely to get it. Now if someone were to let me use their RTX 3080 for a 3 month period, and ask me how much I was willing to pay, I'd say about $20 a month. You may be willing to pay more... or less... $20 is my number based on how much I game, and the card I have today. So, I figure I'm willing to pay $60 or so premium to get it three months in advance. of course, I have no idea whether these things will remain scarce through January, or be common as dirt next week.

Other considerations:
- time is money; my time spent reading forums like these to figure out how to get a card--or even understand when I'm likely to--probably eats that cost.
- the sooner I got a card, the sooner I could offload the one that I have.... that also could be the difference between $60 in pocket vs. lost.

So overall I don't mind a small premium.
While I am skeptical of overpaying (and vehemently opposed to scalping) I guess this is a decent way of justifying a small premium when delays run into months. If we are talking about a few days or even weeks then the cost runs more like $20/week or whatever, so either way it’s a good metric to use for evaluating a “get it early” premium.

Either I am getting it at Nvidias stated MSRP or I am not buying at all.

I wont stand for either scalpers, or board partners abusing the shortage to sell at an inflated price.

I wouldn't buy a card from anywhere but Microcenter or directly from NVIDIA/EVGA, so I wouldn't pay anything over MSRP.

Depends how the card compares to an FE card. I’ll pay more for a better card as I’ve always done But won’t pay more for the same or inferior card.

It is sad for me to see people nowadays have zero patience to wait for something. The 30 seconds commercials really did us in. People buying from scalpers only rewards the behavior. The vicious cycle will continue.

Seriously its fucking bullshit prices are so outrageous due to the fact that the manufacturors are so inadequately prepared for their customers.

Its like announcing we have the cure for cancer but you can only buy it online, at 9:00am est tomorrow, with less than 1000 units available globally. After that it wont be available again for 6-9 months, in limited quantities.

However if you check ebay, the richest entitled members of society can pick it up no sweat.

Back