How much will the prices drop for the 9800XT in the next month

vanquished

Limp Gawd
Hi all, I've saved up for a HIS 9800pro with the sweet IceQ technology. But now, the X800 has been released and will be in stock soon. So I was wondering how much will the 9800pro drop in price. The extra money could then be used to buy me an extra stick of RAM. But if the price drop isn't too significant (10 to 20 percent) then should I save up for a X800?

In the next month, the card will probably drop 5-10% and that is only if the GF6800 comes out. I will wait a few months at least before I buy one.

The price should drop a bit with the X800's hitting store shelves, but you should watch out as sometimes the old high-end cards disappear off store shelves entirely instead of dropping in price.

I wouldn't expect them to drop down to anything close to what a 9800pro goes for these days. Personally, I looking to upgrade to a nice cheap pro.

If you don't mind a used card you'll be able to get a 9800XT for around $250, maybe less. I'll eventually sell mine and I've already seen ads for not much more than that price. Check out the For Sale forum periodically.

yeah, the 9800 xt won't be near what the pro is at today. The $200 (or less) pros that you can find on hot deals sites are a steal IMO. Besides, why pay $50+ for a slight speed bump with the XT? I'd rather OC a pro and buy a game.

Does the HIS card go for around $300ish? Why not just get a 9800Pro for $200ish and an Artic cooler for at the most $25?

--edit--
Oh, newegg has it for $240 so you'd only save something like ~$10, sorry for looking like an ass :D

I have a question to throw into this mix, I'm looking at a budge of 200 flat but I'm already to throw that away and put an extra 70 on it and get an ATI 9800pro 256MB from newegg. Should I just get go for a 128 model and come in about 30 nunder budge and get something a M-audio based audio card too?

I'm upgrading from a GF2 GTS 64MB (don't laugh too hard) and if this is like my other purchases, my dreams of buying bleading edge will be dead and this card will have to stay with me another 3 to 5 years as well.

EDIT: Just thought about this forgot to mention this. I saw the news blup a few days ago about ATI releasing the x600 (or going to talk about releasing it)to go into the 200 dollar market this week, Should I just wait till next week for buying? I was trying to get this all setup for so I could have it this week (1st is my birthday)but I guess I can wait.

Thanks for the tip, I've been crossing my names, I was talking about the card that had the via audio chip, I'll have to look for the name and look it up, of couse I would have done this before ordering, (I think I sent a buddy though down the wrong path :eek: ) Well things are getting weird around here so I'm going to have to wait another week regardless to order but I just hope that these x600 cards turn out to be the stuff, basically kill off the 9xxx market and are nowhere to be found for weeks.

Darn it people lets get some reviews, secrete info, overseas intel something!!!

Can you tell I'm anxious to leave ths GF2 GTS behind... ahhhh pixel shaders.

RANT:
Whats happening to video card companies? these cards cost alot, even if you do shop around online they still cost a small fortune, and this particualr card is only 2 models now away from the top of ATI's chain and yet if you buy the ATI card what do you get... cables and a driver CD, oh and possibly a screen saver. At least throw in some game or even DEMO. Its almost like a hunt to find the great card at a good price with a HL cupon. Its getting almost like: Ok here is your new shiny card, but you'll need time, or a broadband connection to download some demos to show you what it can do or a PC game mag demo cd, have fun. I remeber when HD (retail) used to come with programs, al be it crappy, unwanted and old, it was something. Now there is not too much of a difference from buying a retial box item and the OEM, its just a difference in the box and the warrenty sometimes.
END RANT:

Well, the X600 seems like a souped up 9600XT so i think im going to wait until the end of june and see what's available at around 200 to 250 US

Well i just Pre-Bought a 800XT to replace my 9800XT, which i will put in my pther gaming compouter to replace the 9800Pro, so it ;looks like ill have a 9800Pro to sell, i cant see the 9800XT going for less then $250 until a couple months down the road, i bet $299 will be a sweet spot at the beginning.

I think you guys are being too conservative, in this card series (both companies) the new cards are nearly twice as fast as the previous generation so I think something new will happen.

The 9800XT and the 5950U should both be at or less than $200 on July first. If they are not, they will be taken entirely off the market, you will not be able to find one because they will be recalled, they will not be able to sell either of them when 6800GT's are $300 and the x800Pro is the same, the 9800XT and the 5950U will both have to be at least $100 less or nobody will buy them at all.

I just placed my order and got a 9800pro 256 with HL2 coupon :) for 275, might be modable to an xt but at this point it will smoke my old card with pride even if it was under clocked by half, my now old card a GF2 GTS. I also got a digital cam for 129 not including shipping. The total was $418.95 with shipping, I should have everything by Saturday or Monday if they get lazy.

All of that last part with the money was to say this (and I hope the [H] crew can forgive me and not kill me) my buddy which I had order all this (being out of work I canceled my credit cards long ago)and he said to me point blank when I handed over the cash: "you're giving me $419, if you forget the Camera I'll give you 20 bucks and get a x800pro" I'm totally serious MY BUDDY SAID THAT :eek: You've gotta love good friends. Well, I turned it down and got the lesser card and camera. Hopefully it will work for the best, a term I've been saying lately, When I become employed again, I could say save (projected budget of ~2400 with monitor) and get say an x800PE (or just pro depending on prices) and a A64 ~3700 or FX. (yeah I know budget better grow some more!)

Anyway my birthday has been great although my service men/women friends weren't here, please forgive my decision [H] crew and I hope I don't regret my hastiness ;)
Later

Back