How much will I regret bringing a 19" crt to college...

and if you think it'll a lot, can you make me a recommendation for a decent, yet still affordable lcd? (15 or 17" I suppose)

Thanks. :)

workingnonstop said:
and if you think it'll a lot, can you make me a recommendation for a decent, yet still affordable lcd? (15 or 17" I suppose)

Thanks. :)

That depends if you are moving into a dorm/suite or whatever that has:

a) Elevator
b) Stairs

If it has a) Elevators; there should be no regret. And don't be buying a sub $300 LCD just "cuz its lightweight". Chances are that it will ghost like hell.

b) Stairs.

Remember you only move it twice. When you first move in, and when you move out. Its not that bad really (I've seen guys hauling 21" Sony CRTs up 4 flights of stairs). I, myself have only done 17" up 2 flights, and that's not bad at all.

And if you lift at all (weight training) the 19" is nothing.

LOL!! Give me a break. Put down the Mountain Dew, turn off the Nintendo, and go outside and get some exercise. LOL!

As far as getting the monitor in and out of the building, you shouldn't have problems. Just be sure you have an idea of how much desk space you're going to have, because some older colleges filled their rooms with desks/tables when personal computers were not common (you may not have enough space).

slacK said:
As far as getting the monitor in and out of the building, you shouldn't have problems. Just be sure you have an idea of how much desk space you're going to have, because some older colleges filled their rooms with desks/tables when personal computers were not common (you may not have enough space).

This is more what I meant. I'm not worried about hauling it in or out of the room, I'm not that weak. I just mean do people think I'm going to regret bringing such a space-hog to school with me?

workingnonstop said:
This is more what I meant. I'm not worried about hauling it in or out of the room, I'm not that weak. I just mean do people think I'm going to regret bringing such a space-hog to school with me?
I had a desk with a depth of about 2.5ft and my 19" was never a problem. I used my keyboard tray to set my textbooks on while I was doing homework, and used the rest of the desk to write on. You'll see many people, usually people not too bound to electronics, with laptops and/or prebuilt systems with the sub-par 15" LCD specifically for college, but you certainly will not be an oddball for bringing your entire system; it is definately not uncommon. Is it more convenient to have an LCD? Of course, but you won't regret bringing your CRT.

I took my 21" to school last year and didnt have any problems with it, I live in a dorm and the worst part was goin up all the stairs and an all. As far as deskspace you should be ok. I know I didnt have any problems and what I did was move my desk about a foot off the wall and set the monitor half on the desk and up on the wall, it gave me enough room to put my keyboard in front of it and have a lil extra space too.

Have a great year btw (as I assume it is your first), college is a blast!

Wow, y'all lucky.

When I was in college the staircase was narrow, and my desk space was small and limitted (too small for a kb tray)

Oh, how I regretted hauling my Sony 19".....
Man, if I had to redo it back then, I would've went for a 15"LCD. Looking back, I'd forfeit screen size for ease of transport.

slacK said:
Have a great year btw (as I assume it is your first), college is a blast!

Remember to do your hw....I know this sounds dorky, but you'd be suprised how many people just conveniently "forget" to do it.

Hang out and have fun, but don't flunk out the first semester. The first semester is like the only time you'll even have a chance to get an easy 4.0 (my bro got 3.8, while I got 3.5). That 3.8 helps anchor your GPA thru sophmore/junior year...if you're in engineering you already know how EASY it is for your GPA to plummet -_-

Mav451 said:
if you're in engineering you already know how EASY it is for your GPA to plummet -_-
rofl, SO true.

Other quicktips:
-Exercise - freshman 15 is no myth. Do a few laps in the pool or run a few miles every week.
-GET TO CLASS. It's very tempting to stay in bed instead of crawling half-asleep to your 9am class, but once you start it's pretty damn hard to stop doing it. I skipped an entire 2 months straight of my chemistry lecture and it nearly came back to bite me in the ass (12 hours of continuous cramming the night before for each test to manage a B). Knowing when to skip class becomes an art ;)
-Um, those are the only blaring negative sides to college. Otherwise, party.. drink.. get laid, just don't get caught/diseased :p

I have a ass huge 21" Trinitron and a small desk but no problem. You just draw your table out a bit and let that huge back hang out. Saves a lot of space on your table that way :) I don´t even have a keyboard tray don´t need it.

Absolutely not man. Save your money on the LCD crap because they still cost a fair bit more than a CRT. Plus CRT is nice if you want to game a bit etc.

Personally I moved into an appartment that is fairly near the college i'll be attending for an IT program. I am visually impaired and the 21" CRT (mind you mine is like 11 years old) is way the heck better than using the 14" LCD laptop screen. It's easier on my eyes. I run 1024x768. I'm on a 3rd floor appartment and I have no regrets.

I have also heard that some text books also come with a CD that has the whole text book on it so... You could read the book from your monitor which for some might be nicer because you can get the text a bit bigger and sit back and relax while you read through all of the material. Don't skimp on the monitor size. Get what you can.

That said for reading text on monitor modern TFT does a very good job at that :). So in that sense they aren´t inferior to CRT:s in anyway. If you aren´t buying those 22" 600$ monitors they are most often better actually for text.

I regret having gotten a 19" for a few reasons. It was a pain to carry even with an elevator. I needed to use my lifting gloves to keep it from slipping. Don't forget that you can't always just park in front of a dorm and take your stuff up. Once out of the dorm I still had to walk maybe a quarter mile to my car with all the other people moving out. Sometimes I would trick friends into taking it down. Hey man you want to grab that monitor... "if you can handle it." Never worked on any guy twice. Anyway I'd say get like a 17 right now and save for a nice LCD. Also, I moved it like several times cause I wasn't trying to go back to the 250 MHz mac at home during the breaks.

Freshman 15? Try freshman 30. My school had lots of unhealthy food. I think I must've had pizza hut on campus like 4 times a week at least. I went from 166 - probably 190. Thankfully I'm back to 170 or so. With more muscle mass :D but stretch marks to remind me :(. Watch the beer too. I think all of us had a nice beer belly going that we spent sophomore year getting rid of.

thats nothing compared to carrying a 27 inch tv up 3 floors with 2 flights of stairs per every floor, ya know the kind that change directions once before you get to the next floor. Moving out is is even worse. Gotta do it all again soon on friday. Stupid school with no elevators in the lowrises. damn them

27" tv? non Trinitron not an issue. 29" Trinitron forget about doing it yourself :p

oqvist said:
27" tv? non Trinitron not an issue. 29" Trinitron forget about doing it yourself :p

I did a 27 trinitron byyself

Up a flight of stairs

Dear god I dont want to move

That sure was an accomphlishment I have to say. Maybe wise to try to sell it to the one who would eventually want to move in? Old big Trinitron TV:s eventually cave in since they aren´t built to sustain the sheer weight of the tube. I had my Trinitron sent in to service (thus has to move it :p) and they had to solder in like 500 places actually. And not only that every time you move them you do damage them some it´s really dangerous to move those.

I would like to point out that you could get a ceiling or wall mount for a computer monitor cheaper than you could get a halfway decent LCD. Colleges don't allow it? Screw them =P

My wonder is whether or not I will want to buy a 2.1 speaker system instead of this 5.1. I'm guessing yes.

A lot of times the walls are made of concrete, the ceilings are those like styrofoam type tiles. Sometimes You'll have a wall but good luck finding the board where you'd want to mount the monitor. Go VT dorms... not that the apartments are much better... :rolleyes:

Trinz said:
I regret having gotten a 19" for a few reasons. It was a pain to carry even with an elevator. I needed to use my lifting gloves to keep it from slipping. Don't forget that you can't always just park in front of a dorm and take your stuff up.

I have to agree, looking back at my college years I regret not having an LCD. It would have made life much easier not just because of the weight but the space saving I would have achieved in a small dorm room and the decreased eyestrain from looking at the computer screen hours on end.

Back