How much weight and coolant for a full loop?

x509

2[H]4U
So I'm trying to make a basic go-no go decision on straight air cooling, an AIO water cooler for just the CPU, or a full loop. Maybe also cool the VRMs. About 7-8 years ago, I thought that I would do a full loop, but then "time passed." I know that this is a n00b question, but that's what I am for water-cooling. I have been building systems for at least 20 years now.,

Given some health issues, I'm a bit concerned about how much heavier a full loop would be, compared with a nice fan/heatink like the CoolerMaster 212. https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI

How much does a full loop with a typical D5 pump, CPU and GPU blocks, reservoir all weigh empty? Assume soft tubing if that makes a difference. Did I leave anything out? How many gallons (or liters) of coolant, assuming a full-tower case with the components arranged so that everything can be drained out with a drain port at the bottom of the loop?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
For component weights, you could always look up specs. If there aren't exact weights for the products you might be able to find shipping weights, which will be pretty close for larger items like reservoirs and rads.

My machine has two large rads, CPU and GPU block and a large reservoir, and drinks about 1.5l of coolant.

So I'm trying to make a basic go-no go decision on straight air cooling, an AIO water cooler for just the CPU, or a full loop. Maybe also cool the VRMs. About 7-8 years ago, I thought that I would do a full loop, but then "time passed." I know that this is a n00b question, but that's what I am for water-cooling. I have been building systems for at least 20 years now.,

Given some health issues, I'm a bit concerned about how much heavier a full loop would be, compared with a nice fan/heatink like the CoolerMaster 212. https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Direct-Contact/dp/B005O65JXI

How much does a full loop with a typical D5 pump, CPU and GPU blocks, reservoir all weigh empty? Assume soft tubing if that makes a difference. Did I leave anything out? How many gallons (or liters) of coolant, assuming a full-tower case with the components arranged so that everything can be drained out with a drain port at the bottom of the loop?

You might wanna get a really good or top end AIO, maybe something upgradeable likek the Eisbaer or similar because a full loop is heavy. No two ways about it. My rig below is by my guess at least 50lbs. Phanteks Primo with cpu/vrm/2xgpu blocks and 2 480mm rads.

3Q9e3Lfl.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have similar problems and changed back to air about 10 years ago. Not just becuase of weight or cost (was doing test/reviews so had access to whatever I needed free) but also because of time it takes to service H2O loops. I have 11 year old air cooled [email protected] still going strong. With TRUE Spirit 140 Power at 100% load stress testing it hits 70c in 21c room @ 1200rpm, but @ 2500rpm it's 59c. Both cooler and case has TY-143 2500rpm fans, but rarely goes above 1100rpm (almost silent) unless it extremely hot, extreme hi-load, dirty filters, etc. At a quick glance I don't know if your 800D can be setup with good airflow. Looks like it might be problematic.

Just tally up the weights of the individual components and then make an educated guess on how much liquid it'll be containing. 1L of water = 1kg = ~2.205 lbs, so going by VanGogh's example, his system is loaded with about 3.3lbs of water.

I have similar problems and changed back to air about 10 years ago. Not just becuase of weight or cost (was doing test/reviews so had access to whatever I needed free) but also because of time it takes to service H2O loops. I have 11 year old air cooled [email protected] still going strong. With TRUE Spirit 140 Power at 100% load stress testing it hits 70c in 21c room @ 1200rpm, but @ 2500rpm it's 59c. Both cooler and case has TY-143 2500rpm fans, but rarely goes above 1100rpm (almost silent) unless it extremely hot, extreme hi-load, dirty filters, etc. At a quick glance I don't know if your 800D can be setup with good airflow. Looks like it might be problematic.
The last few days I've been reading various threads about cases, and I'm about 95% decided that it's time to replace the 800D with something more modern. :coffee: I recently discovered (or someone in another thread turned me on to this) a nice Lian Li case. I don't plan to turn on the RGB lighting, but otherwise this case seems very good for me, including the 4 hot-swap drive bays.:) http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11d-rog/. It even comes with an EK "distribution plate" which may or may not be what I need. :woot: I've started a separate thread about this.

The last few days I've been reading various threads about cases, and I'm about 95% decided that it's time to replace the 800D with something more modern. :coffee: I recently discovered (or someone in another thread turned me on to this) a nice Lian Li case. I don't plan to turn on the RGB lighting, but otherwise this case seems very good for me, including the 4 hot-swap drive bays.:) http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11d-rog/. It even comes with an EK "distribution plate" which may or may not be what I need. :woot: I've started a separate thread about this.
Lian Li make good cases for water cooling, but not easy to setup with air cooling. I'm assume choosing PC 011D XL means you plan to stay water cooled? PC 011D XL has lots of nice features and with 167mm CPU clearance all but maybe the tallest air coolers (tallests is 171mm). I've never checked Lian Li cases but most give conservative CPU clearance measurement .. meaning 167 is likely 169-170mm. If case sets on floor I think a caster base would make it easier to move around.

Back