How much$$ to install a hard drive?

OK, so I'm at school and I saw in one of the emails that everyone gets an ad about some girl here wanting to upgrade the "memory" in her computer. Come to find out, she really wants to buy a bigger hard drive (her current one is ~2.5 gigs), and wants to know how much I would charge her.

So I ask you, what's a reasonable price to charge to buy and install a hard drive for someone?

30 bucks? i dont know...if shes hot maybe you can work something else out ;)

takes 20 min to find one online, then maybe another 40 min for installation (with a badly designed case and a little cable management) that would be an hour... so what's your time worth... Best Buy would charge $15 - $50 not sure so I would say ask for 15 - 20 on top of the purchase price, and then give a "two week installation guarentee" say you're willing to repair your installation and ifn need be do an RMA within like two weeks, outside of that "it's not your problem" unless you feel bad doing that.

I built a friends computer and didn't charge her a thing and I have been servicing it for three years no charge, but she is a close friend, so I guess it's different.

One thing I might think about is that is a small drive... 2.5gigs, most hard drive sizes now might not work with that board without a new BIOs. Stuff you need to take into consideration when considering work like this on-site. I would probablly charge like 20 bucks or something as long as it wasnt too difficult

Eject!!!

2.5GB HDD means the machine is, what a ~P1-133?

Let her deal with BB.

My old packard bell had a 2gig drive in it. It was top of the line. 3000 at the time.

Depends on who it is ;)

But normally I would say $20-30 is fair...if you have to research and order the drive yourself, you could probably charge a bit more.

workingnonstop said:
OK, so I'm at school and I saw in one of the emails that everyone gets an ad about some girl here wanting to upgrade the "memory" in her computer. Come to find out, she really wants to buy a bigger hard drive (her current one is ~2.5 gigs), and wants to know how much I would charge her.

So I ask you, what's a reasonable price to charge to buy and install a hard drive for someone?

Do like the other peeps in here say. Get a drive with a PCI controller card for her, make her pay for the parts, and tell her "it's no charge for my labor". You'll get some action or at least a date, guaranteed :D
If she's ugly then charge her $100 and get yourself a couple new games....

if she is at college with a 2.5 gig hard drive, and obvoisly using a p1-2 or so.... no

more like she looked at the "memory" wrong and its a 25gb hard drive (or 2.5 gb left) or something... 2.5 gigs would be gone in seconds with a college netwrok of spyware to get on it

Back