How much to charge?

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Occasionally I do some side work, but not much as my family/free time/hobbies are more important than a few extra bucks.

A former work client same called me the other day and stated their SBS 2008 server was running slow, etc. I also handle any of their other little issues like cable runs, viruses, etc. Nothing too difficult and they have paid well is the past. I've spent about 8-9 hours so far and have about 1-2 more to complete out the current body of work before I start on a new security camera project for them.

I really have no idea what to charge. A typical network consultant in my market area (in Hampton Roads, VA) might make anywhere from $100+/hr for pc tech work let alone server admin work. The work has been all after hours and weekend time with travel round trip to be about 45-60 minutes. I was thinking of asking for $75-100/hr. Is this reasonable? Thanks.
Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

My boss does all friends and family work for free, he told me he spend a whole day at a friends house and ran cable through the entire house on a saturday, I know for the hourly clients he charges them 75 and hour, its a hard to make the decision for you, just though I would let you know what he does.

You could ask them what they honestly think it's worth to them, I mean if you have that kind of relationship anyway. Otherwise, I think your idea sounds reasonable, maybe high side, but reasonable.

Thanks to all. The only reason the prices are higher is that it was server work, after hours and I am not charging them travel. I tried asking them what they think they work is worth and I just keep hearing back name your price. Translation: I am willing to pay you and pay you well. This will also be the price we go forward with too since there is so much work on the books to be done.

100hr on site is cheap.

If you are comfortable with that, and so are they then you both are getting a deal in my opinion.

Around here you are talking 100/hr just for on-site in-home PC repair, home network setup, etc...

100hr on site is cheap.

If you are comfortable with that, and so are they then you both are getting a deal in my opinion.

Around here you are talking 100/hr just for on-site in-home PC repair, home network setup, etc...

I think it's a good rate myself. The rate estimate I gave for other techs in the area is an older value I found out years ago.

If you are good and qualified then charge well. If you are on the backyard style and not really up to speed on things then don't be cheeky and demand top dollar.

Charging high rates doesn't really see long-term returns.

Gentleman, I didn't want to start a new thread for the exact same question, so I hope the OP doesn't mind if I ask a similar question. I'm a Sr. Network Engineer with 7 years of experiencing doing sys admin and networking work. I'm looking to start doing networking (wired & wireless) as well as some Windows server admin work on the side. There are two clients in particular that I have already been doing work for, but haven't been getting paid (Long story...don't ask :) I have a good rapport with them and therefore need to come up with a rate going forward. I'm open to recommendations, but I'm thinking a minimum of $100/hr. Much of the work will be nights and weekends. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Before returning to consulting full time, I did a bit of side work myself. When I set my rate I looked at the average service rate in my area, took 70% of that and adjusted it according to the client's demands of my time. Depending on where you are can make a big impact on that rate.

I ended up charging $50 an hour because: 1.) they pay me more than that anyway, 2.) the work I ended up doing for them didn't justify that higher level rate, 3.) I wanted a happy customer that keeps coming back versus a one time deal, 4.) they call about once a month, so they are not high maintenance.

You also have to consider if you're not an insured business, you can't expect the same rates as a professional business (regardless of your qualifications). Doing stuff at night or on the weekend after hours can turn into a nightmare for both parties if you're not careful. I think Nate's 70% (with adjustments) is a good plan.

I ended up charging $50 an hour because: 1.) they pay me more than that anyway, 2.) the work I ended up doing for them didn't justify that higher level rate, 3.) I wanted a happy customer that keeps coming back versus a one time deal, 4.) they call about once a month, so they are not high maintenance.

sounds fair. We charge $75/hr for similar tasks, and it seems to be a good sweet spot for now.

If they need a higher level service then the rate may be more. (i.e. - after hours, holiday weekend, total network overhaul, etc.)

Doing stuff at night or on the weekend after hours can turn into a nightmare for both parties if you're not careful.

That's exactly what I was going after. The client absolutely has to under stand that your day job comes first and that you fit them in around that, otherwise you run the risk of losing both your day gig and the client for a paltry sum. The way I've phrased it in the past is that I'm cutting them a significant break on rate in exchange for their patience for support. It's a balancing game.

That's exactly what I was going after. The client absolutely has to under stand that your day job comes first and that you fit them in around that, otherwise you run the risk of losing both your day gig and the client for a paltry sum. The way I've phrased it in the past is that I'm cutting them a significant break on rate in exchange for their patience for support. It's a balancing game.

You also have to take liabilities into consideration, especially in this day and age.

Anyone ever do work on a retainer basis? I'm looking at that as an option for a client. Thoughts?

Back