How Much Should Xbox Project Scorpio Cost?

The SoC die is bigger than the one used for the GTX 1080 + 12GB of GDDR5 + all the other components for a SFF computer.

Breaking even at $399 seems like a stretch.

If it ran standard Windows it would be a steal at $499 IMO.

You also have to factor in Microsoft Messaging on the this. When ever asked about pricing Microsoft repeats two things:

It's Premium, or it's High End.

That implies definitely higher than $399 pricing.

It will be more than that, and lots of people will whine, and lots of people will buy one so they can have the "best" console.

All this, huge SOC, 12GB GDDR5, beefier GPU than an RX480, 1TB HDD, and a UHD Blu-Ray player...

$ 599 all day with the specs theyre throwing around.

You guys saying 299 and 399 are delusional

The SoC die is bigger than the one used for the GTX 1080 + 12GB of GDDR5 + all the other components for a SFF computer.

Breaking even at $399 seems like a stretch.

If it ran standard Windows it would be a steal at $499 IMO.

You also have to factor in Microsoft Messaging on the this. When ever asked about pricing Microsoft repeats two things:

It's Premium, or it's High End.

That implies definitely higher than $399 pricing.

It will be more than that, and lots of people will whine, and lots of people will buy one so they can have the "best" console.
They can say best console all they like, all Sony has to do is whisper "more TFLOPS coming soon (R)" and that crowd's interest in the Scorpio will dwindle rapidly.

Reactions: DPI
like this
600-700 not a shot its less
After the whole 3DO fiasco, no one will repeat that mistake again...Sony came close with the original PS3 release cost, but still.

One thing to remember is that Sony and Microsoft sell at a loss (loss leading) at least for a while after release while they attempt to bring the BoM costs down for themselves, and make it up with license fees and direct game sales. With that in mind, I'd say Microsoft probably won't go more than $449 for a non-bundle package and up to $100 more for a bundle package if they really want to try to outsell the PS4 Pro. They'll also need some more exclusives and actual games (not that shovelware/tech demo crap) that will take advantage of the refreshed hardware to entice new owners and those willing to trade up to a Scorpio.

All this, huge SOC, 12GB GDDR5, beefier GPU than an RX480, 1TB HDD, and a UHD Blu-Ray player...

You know, the more I think about it, I'm really not a huge Microsoft fan. They just seem to fuck everything up and or copy everyone else, coming to the race late only to fail.

I would be more interested in you telling me about who is going to spend $800+ dollars all in, console, game, tax, extra controller more so than anything else. Now that would be a good read.

Anyways, I hope you're right. I would love to see Microsoft yet again create something no one will buy. lol.

$800 dollars? Seriously? ....................................... wow, but ... ok.

The answer is it doesn't matter what they sell it for because this gen is lost - Sony ran away with it. And Xbox One has no library. Forza, Halo, GoW - all stale. The only announcements you ever hear are about Xbox 360 titles added to backward compat - but that crutch is worn out.

To make matters worse, if you have a PC and PS4 Pro, you have all the exclusives bases covered - no need for an Xbone.

It's actually fitting how far Xbox has sunken, given MS pissed on PC gamers for 17 years keeping titles Xbox exclusive and off of Windows. They're trying to crawl back now with Windows store play anywhere but too late, PC gamers are staying put on Steam which saved PC gaming during the decades Microsoft left it to rot.

Last edited:
I agree with you, this gen is lost to MSFT.

However, I disagree with you on how bad MSFT is fucked for this gen. Gears is no longer Xbox exclusive in any sense of the word, so all MSFT has is really Halo and Forza - both of which have seen smaller, limited releases on PC as well.

Of course, MSFT needs to push those onto PC for the time being, since Xbox alone cannot sustain those franchises in this day and age. So those franchises making it onto the PC is not due to any PC gaming push from MSFT, so much as making sure their last three franchises don't run losses while their Xbox division still has their collective heads up their asses.

If you follow the pattern, the generation losses happen on threes. Sega lost out on their third gen hardware (Saturn) - only to die out on the hardware side with the Dreamcast, Sony lost out on their third gen hardware (PS3) - was fortunate enough to recover later on somewhat and be able to release the PS4, and now it's Microsoft's turn with the Xbox One. Nintendo is the only oddball one since they haven't really bothered to go head-to-head with these two for some time.

If you follow the pattern, the generation losses happen on threes. Sega lost out on their third gen hardware (Saturn) - only to die out on the hardware side with the Dreamcast, Sony lost out on their third gen hardware (PS3) - was fortunate enough to recover later on somewhat and be able to release the PS4, and now it's Microsoft's turn with the Xbox One. Nintendo is the only oddball one since they haven't really bothered to go head-to-head with these two for some time.
nintendo is out of the console race anyway, ppl will be lucky if they have 3-5 games on switch catalogue by 2020.
i see some ppl put scorpio for 600-700$, that's way too much, compoenents certainly doesn't justify it, it's jaguar and pitcairn a 2012 tech shrunk to 16nm and overclocked.

FREE!.. but you have to sign up for a 3 year gold subscription. After 3 years... you will probably keep the sub... win win.

It's the same fkn console with an upgraded gpu they are buying in massive quantity. Not sure why people think this is going to be so expensive.

399 if they want to regain market share, 499 if they wan to make money per console sold. Who cares when you have a PC. Damn thing could be free I wouldn't use it.

They could sell them for a buck and I wouldnt get one, done with consoles and specially with anything from microsoft.

Sadly, I still need their damn OS on my gaming PC, but who knows when they can be dumped there also.

I'll almost certainly bite at $499. $599's right around the point where I'll have to think about it. Even if it is a powerhouse, MS's lineup is still lackluster and how much this will affect older games is also still up in the air.

The days of losing 200 dollars per console sold are freaking OVER. The new CEO won't allow it. I agree with you.

$399 if they want it to sell at least reasonably well. $499 or less if they want it to sell at all.

PS4 Pro will likely drop to $349 around Scorpio release so it may be hard to justify a $150 increase over the PS4 Pro regardless of power.

$399 max. And I better see some games / reason to buy.... otherwise not chunking the PS4 any time soon. Hell I barley use my PS4 as is, since I got a Roku for wife friendly media streaming.

Sony is/was STUPID for not putting a 4k/UHD BR drive in the PS4 Pro. They could have put some real hurt on Scorpio's pre-launch numbers.

Sony is/was STUPID for not putting a 4k/UHD BR drive in the PS4 Pro. They could have put some real hurt on Scorpio's pre-launch numbers.
I don't think so. Majority of people stream these days. Physical media is dead, despite the exceptions that always pop up in these threads to proclaim otherwise. There's so little content available on 4K UHD disc as well.

Last edited:
They can say best console all they like, all Sony has to do is whisper "more TFLOPS coming soon (R)" and that crowd's interest in the Scorpio will dwindle rapidly.
You really think Sony will split its market again?? A new system 5-8 years has been the cadence since I have been born. Xbox one S was not a new system. Sony fans will be stuck with subpar 4k for a while.

If it costs more than ~$300 dollars, it will be a tough sell, and the Xbox One S isn't a temping fallback, either.
The XBOX 360 sold well at $400 12 years ago. That was with only DVD when PS3 had bluray.

If it is more than $400, it won't be just Scorpio that is DOA, the entire xbox brand will be toast.
Hungry trolls on this forum.

---------

Believe it or not, people actually like gaming on a console better. If this can bring better 4k optimization, all the better for everyone. I would still like to see what Raven Ridge (Vega APU) can do with games, but it will not release until after Scorpio.

I don't think so. Majority of people stream these days. Physical media is dead, despite the exceptions that always pop up in these threads to proclaim otherwise. There's so little content available on 4K UHD disc as well.
The hell it is. Not everyone has access to good high speed internet. There is no streaming service that can rival UHD Blu-rays picture and sound. Almost all ISP are going towards caps all around the country also.

Last edited:
4k and 60 fps. Was this a trick question?

Explanation: List 3, Pick 2 scenarios occur when three things are desired of a scenario - but only two can realistically be met with the criteria given.

If you want 60FPS and 4K - the RX480 is not the beefy card you require. (2 of 3 items met)
If you want 60FPS and RX480 - then you drop the resolution. (or details settings) (2 of 3 items met)
If you want 4K and RX480 then you drop the FPS. (more like 30FPS) (2 of 3 items met)

It's a no win situation --- the RX480 cannot play even current generation games at 4K at 60FPS at full detail ---- much less games that will be produced in the future (over this consoles lifespan - say into 2021).

We already know the AMD RX480 is listed at 5.8 TF card. AMD will also be making the Scorpio card and it's already promoted as being a RX480 derivative capable of 6 TF processing power capability. That's a miniscule difference. The Scorpio is said to have 10% more computer units running at 10% less speed than the RX480 -- so basically it's about the same performance GPU. So let's go with the data out there on the RX480 to see how truly capable of 4K the Scorpio will be.

RX480 - 4k Benchmarks:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-480-review/1100-6441354/

Review summary:

The RX 480 was not a card designed for 4K, and it shows. While it can run some moderately demanding games above 30 average FPS, it often does so by the skin of its teeth. At that point, you’re better of playing at a lower resolution or turning down graphical settings to get a smoother experience.

I agree with you for 1080p content. BR is better, but not massively so (audio is a different story). But with 4K UHD discs coming in at 50GB+ I don't see a great streaming replacement. Also, a lot more people than you would think really like physical media or have "meh" internet or data caps. Personally I could live with "just ok" 4k streaming for the most part, but I would probably buy my favorties (AGAIN!) on 4k disc.

The hell it is. Not everyone has access to good high speed internet. There is no streaming service that can rival UHD Blu-rays picture and sound. Almost all ISP are going towards caps all around the country also.

And this popped up right after I saw your reply.

That never ends though. There is always something better coming. Live your life today, not next year! :D

You really think Sony will split its market again?? A new system 5-8 years has been the cadence since I have been born. Xbox one S was not a new system. Sony fans will be stuck with subpar 4k for a while.

Hungry trolls on this forum.

---------

Believe it or not, people actually like gaming on a console better. If this can bring better 4k optimization, all the better for everyone. I would still like to see what Raven Ridge (Vega APU) can do with games, but it will not release until after Scorpio.
I see your modification of my post. To respond to your edit: the Xbox 360 sold well 12 years ago simply because it was the only option on the market. PS3 had just launched at a higher price with limited availability and the Wii was about to clean house on both of them (but with poor to nonexistent availability during its launch period).

See the issue yet? Higher price? Even with more power ("Supercomputer in a console!"), the higher price of the PS3 doomed its launch (even though it was only $500 vs the Xbox 360's $400... sounds familiar). Sure, it was the best bluray player out there, just like it was about to be a great airforce supercomputer. In other words, a pointless distraction from reality. The PS3 was mauled by the Xbox 360 all the way until RROD hit its peak, after which, the PS3 started cutting features, and keenly, price. Ultimately, due more to MSFT's incompetence, the PS3 would ultimately outsell the Xbox 360.

In the end, Scorpio cannot be overpriced. Not a penny more than the PS4 pro (not MSRP, the actual street price). Microsoft better not forget the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One, was cheaper at launch, and has absolutely shredded the Xbox One in sales. This is in spite of never reaching feature parity with the Xbox One at any point (you know, those distractions).

In the end, no matter what happens, Sony has too many effective responses to neuter Scorpio (and Xbox One S) sales. The best Microsoft can do is not shoot itself in the face, again. It's already taken two hits to the head, and it is a miracle that they are still in the console business.

That never ends though. There is always something better coming. Live your life today, not next year! :D

Very true. I'm waiting on Cannonlake, after all :p

worthless article is worthless

Why are we even worrying about this?

MS should just make the Scorpio a full fledged gaming focused PC. Have it play nice with all Windows games, digital distribution platforms (Steam, Origin, etc), remove Gold multiplayer requirement, and kb&m support.

In the end, no matter what happens, Sony has too many effective responses to neuter Scorpio (and Xbox One S) sales. The best Microsoft can do is not shoot itself in the face, again. It's already taken two hits to the head, and it is a miracle that they are still in the console business.

Last I checked they were still making a profit. :p (Despite the botched launches)

Pricing wouldn't be an issue, if MSFT actually had some damn exclusives on the horizon. A $499 hit is much easier to take when you can get your hands on a couple of reasonably decent exclusive games.

I was actually planning on picking up one of these, but not anymore. Yeah, good job on the horsepower, but if there's nothing to play, what's the point? They dropped that news of no exclusives so casually too. MSFT proved with the Xbox One launch that they have no idea what the general public wants.

I suppose there is still time to get some news out there, but we'll still follow the same process of MSFT giving the proverbial finger to the devs when they ask for some resources. EA gets a lot of stick for buying out studios and stripping them bare, but MSFT is just as guilty of this. The way they mucked up all the MechWarrior IPs still pisses me off.

I bought the S because it was decent value with the blu ray player. There are a few decent games, but the MSFT franchises are stale. The PS has it beat in what matters - gaming.

Last edited:
$399 max. And I better see some games / reason to buy.... otherwise not chunking the PS4 any time soon. Hell I barley use my PS4 as is, since I got a Roku for wife friendly media streaming.

By not including the 4k UHD Blu drive they did hurt MS.

The people that always buy these things as Blu/Streaming boxes don't make Sony or MS any money at all. At best they break even on hardware after taking shipping and marketing into account. If the 10% of hardware sales that go to people who never purchase a game buy the other guys machine instead of yours.... that is actually a win for you. Let them loose that money... its why Nintendo makes so much more profit with half the hardware sales... no one is using their consoles for anything other then buying lots of games, where the actual profits are.

Explanation: List 3, Pick 2 scenarios occur when three things are desired of a scenario - but only two can realistically be met with the criteria given.

If you want 60FPS and 4K - the RX480 is not the beefy card you require. (2 of 3 items met)
If you want 60FPS and RX480 - then you drop the resolution. (or details settings) (2 of 3 items met)
If you want 4K and RX480 then you drop the FPS. (more like 30FPS) (2 of 3 items met)

It's a no win situation --- the RX480 cannot play even current generation games at 4K at 60FPS at full detail ---- much less games that will be produced in the future (over this consoles lifespan - say into 2021).....

Ok, I get it. You are good at reading Rx 480 benchmarks. You will not find a game optimized specifically for that gpu, vram, and cpu only. Most said Xbox 360 would not play games at 1080p based on the specs, but it did so well. Obviously those games were less demanding than today, but they still looked great compared to what the PC offered at the time (ATi x1800)

Ok, I get it. You are good at reading Rx 480 benchmarks. You will not find a game optimized specifically for that gpu, vram, and cpu only. Most said Xbox 360 would not play games at 1080p based on the specs, but it did so well. Obviously those games were less demanding than today, but they still looked great compared to what the PC offered at the time (ATi x1800)
Translation: get ready for more cinematic 30fps

If it's over $399 it's dead in the water. Doesn't matter how great it is. Just ask Sony how well THEY did at $599 and $499! They had GREAT hardware (flame away, console warriors!) but at that price, no one was buying it. Even their $399 PS4 "Pro" is not in Amazon's top 100 list...

Add to the equation the fact that XBox has NO EXCLUSIVES anymore, everything new coming out will be on PC as well. Who is this supposed to be for again? People wanting to game at 4k are going to be better off building a gaming PC.

The 360 played a HANDFUL of games at 1080p, and most were games like tennis, which weren't very demanding.

By not including the 4k UHD Blu drive they did hurt MS.

The people that always buy these things as Blu/Streaming boxes don't make Sony or MS any money at all. At best they break even on hardware after taking shipping and marketing into account. If the 10% of hardware sales that go to people who never purchase a game buy the other guys machine instead of yours.... that is actually a win for you. Let them loose that money... its why Nintendo makes so much more profit with half the hardware sales... no one is using their consoles for anything other then buying lots of games, where the actual profits are.

Ok sure, but MS doesn't care about making money. They care about MARKET SHARE. MS can afford to lose money all the live long day. Actually if you factor in the RROD fiasco, how much money they spent fixing it with the hardware revisions and replacement systems... and factor in the 360 console hardware itself (just the console, not the accessories) typically lost money on each console sale until around the Slim rolled around. Think MS was making a dime off those $199 360 Arcade (jasper and beyond) systems? Nah. But still they were considered the "winner" of last gen because of sheer numbers. The real money comes from software, licensing, and accessory add ons.

Yeah Nintendo makes a little profit on their console hardware (imagine that! what a novelty), but they make more on the software.

Back