Votes: 155 25.8%
  • 128GB+

Votes: 14 2.3%
  • 256GB+

Votes: 6 1.0%
  • 512GB+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Actually, if you look at the vote bar chart now, it looks like flipping the bird to '640K should be enough for anyone'.

Maybe it's just me :)
My interpretation of the current stats is 2.5% are short on cash and using older rigs (8GB) and 0.2% take advice from Geek Squad (12GB). I'm a wierdo for having no 32GB machines. I've got 2 64GB desktops, a 16GB Linux box/home file server and a 16GB reasonably priced "thin & light" laptop I bought just to have something portable. Years ago I had 32GB in my old desktop, but then I ran out of ram messing around with some programming stuff so I upgraded to 64GB. Obviously you can't go backwards, so 64GB is now minimum for my main rig.

I can't believe 16GB is in 3rd. I would have thought that would have been absolutely the run away majority.

My primary desktop at the moment (12700K/Z690) runs 64 GB (4x16 GB) of DDR4-3600 CL16, mostly because I got a sweet open-box deal at the local Micro Center and figured that DDR4 had just about bottomed out on the bell curve, so buy the decent stuff while it's cheap and still on the market before the market fully transitions to DDR5.

The next most recent desktop (7700K/Z270) runs 32 GB (4x8 GB) of spare DDR4-2666 from failed computers for the time being. It's probably going to get a faster kit later, though manually overclocking that stuff is also an option. (It used to have the aforementioned 64 GB kit, but I moved that forward to my 12700K build.)

My laptop runs 16 GB (2x8 GB), but I haven't upgraded it because the HP OMEN X 2S has a nasty thermal throttling problem under load and any money sunk into it would be wasted.

Next up: figuring out how I'm going to get another 64 to 128 GB of ECC unbuffered DDR4-3600 DIMMs for a forthcoming budget Threadripper build that I plan to homelab with. Can't use RDIMMs, and those are slower anyway.

I am surprised that there are so few 128 GB systems. That has been the maximum for unbuffered-RAM platforms for a very long time. You'd think by the end of DDR4 a lot of people stuffed their machines.

I am surprised that there are so few 128 GB systems. That has been the maximum for unbuffered-RAM platforms for a very long time. You'd think by the end of DDR4 a lot of people stuffed their machines.
Consumer AMD gets finicky at the max - even Zen 3. I stopped my consumer boxes at 64G for that reason. Zen 4 is even worse since you lose so much speed to 2DPC.

I’d do it on Intel though.

I'm planning 128GB on my next build sometime near or after the end of the year but with luck either newer stuff will be out or prices will go down more. Currently at 64GB on my system atm.

I just switched out 32GB of 3200 for 64GB of 3600 on my Ryzen system. I hadn’t looked at memory prices in a while and it was cheap enough to do so.

Consumer AMD gets finicky at the max - even Zen 3. I stopped my consumer boxes at 64G for that reason. Zen 4 is even worse since you lose so much speed to 2DPC.

I’d do it on Intel though.
The 5800X Crosshair Hero VIII I sold the other day wouldn't post with 4x16GB DDR4 3600 @ 3600Mhz. It will post set to Auto and it runs at 2666Mhz.
My friend didn't have much time so I couldn't mess with it. Is this the problem you are describing?

The 5800X Crosshair Hero VIII I sold the other day wouldn't post with 4x16GB DDR4 3600 @ 3600Mhz. It will post set to Auto and it runs at 2666Mhz.
My friend didn't have much time so I couldn't mess with it. Is this the problem you are describing?
Yes. With x470 and beyond when they moved everything to daisy-chained instead of T-top for memory trace layouts, it got stupid picky if you ran 4 sticks of any kind - getting XMP speeds was luck of the draw, or VERY careful parts selection (and often a couple of RMAs) to get ones that would play nice. Imagine AM5/Z690/Z790 on crack (those work, they just tell you you have to drop speeds - AM4 claimed you COULD get XMP, but "best of luck!"). Thus, you ended up with either full RAM but slow, or half ram and the right speed - couldn't get higher with DIMM density that existed at that time.

I can't believe 16GB is in 3rd. I would have thought that would have been absolutely the run away majority.
With 32-bit code being retired and 64-bit code ballooning over the last few years 16GB is definitely not enough for anything beyond casual.
I've run up against the wall with 16GB with everyday programs, and only AAA games from the 2010s would work well enough with such a low amount, which is pretty amazing.

Since Hogwarts: Legacy released, that game essentially is the 16GB killer and even pushes systems with 32GB to their limits.
The game can utilize upwards of 17-20GB of RAM by itself and 13GB VRAM with max settings at 4K, so 64GB is starting to look much more attractive for serious gaming systems.

For professional workstations 16GB is laughable and should be the bare minimum for basic office work in 2023.
The days of 4GB and 8GB have long since past for anything that isn't a small development platform, mobile platform, or embedded platform.

Thanks to me not knowing G.Skill has limited lifetime warranty I now have 64. Had 32 and it tested bad, order 32 more and opened it up and read that G.Skill has lifetime warranty sent in the r a and 3 days latter had new memory from G.Skill and now I have enough for my virtual machine
S and then some

On my SFF ASRock x300 setup (Athlon 3000g, X300 with bios support to 5000 series), I use 16gb x 2 sticks of Hynix AFR & MFR (dual rank kits):
52186fc7-ccb0-413d-9211-a218682f6c75.jpg

Running at default XMP 2666mhz c18 1.2v for now:
1677661735100.png

Ram bam, thank ya ma'am, hehehe :)

Go big, or go home.... (and play with yourself while you wait for your stuff to open)

If it aint full of ram, it's full of shiite....

Personal/home machine = 64GB
Workstation = 256GB

I have 8GB on my home laptop. This is not enough for many programs, so I plan to buy a new one.

I have 8GB on my home laptop. This is not enough for many programs, so I plan to buy a new one.
just curious but can't you just add moar ram to it, or is it an older model that it just makes moar sense to get a newer, faster, better equipped one ?

just curious but can't you just add moar ram to it, or is it an older model that it just makes moar sense to get a newer, faster, better equipped one ?
My computer is quite old. While I used it primarily for searching for information and watching YouTube videos, I now need to install some programs for work.
Therefore, I believe it is time for me to upgrade to a newer model.

My computer is quite old. While I used it primarily for searching for information and watching YouTube videos, I now need to install some programs for work.
Therefore, I believe it is time for me to upgrade to a newer model.
Yep for sure, if you're running work stuff, which hopefully are reasonably modern, it only makes sense to run them on a rig that is similarly modern, not only for compatibility reasons, but the all important SUPEEEED, hehehe :D

In my household I've upgraded the main PC to 32gb. My kid's pc is still at 16gb. My gaming laptop is at 32gb and my son's gaming laptop is also at 32gb.

MobaXTerm and a command line flag. But what do you want to x forward precisely?
I want to be able to have the equivalent of being able to rdp into a linux environment. I've looked for something out of the box on a live cd or whatnot for years, but it still doesn't exist. Someone in this thread mentioned all you have to do is ssh into the box and then do an 'x forward', hence the question.

I want to be able to have the equivalent of being able to rdp into a linux environment. I've looked for something out of the box on a live cd or whatnot for years, but it still doesn't exist. Someone in this thread mentioned all you have to do is ssh into the box and then do an 'x forward', hence the question.
https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...ver-ssh-to-run-graphics-applications-remotely

might help. Is your remote client a linux box, or windows? and you'll notice that you can't do it without a bit of prep on the server side, as it has to be set up to allow X forwarding.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...ver-ssh-to-run-graphics-applications-remotely

might help. Is your remote client a linux box, or windows? and you'll notice that you can't do it without a bit of prep on the server side, as it has to be set up to allow X forwarding.
Thank you for this link--definitely seems like it has all the details there to make it work, but it's still probably out of my league if one of those examples don't work right out of the box.

Thank you for this link--definitely seems like it has all the details there to make it work, but it's still probably out of my league if one of those examples don't work right out of the box.
The big question is why - as weird as it sounds anything on Linux tends to be a config file or command line utility, unless you’re actually using desktop apps (what x forwarding tends to be for). There’s not much you can do for configuration on a server with x windows (oracle installers aside, I guess - those are at least somewhat handy). I have linux desktops, but the servers are effectively headless. I can’t think of anything I’d want to do with x windows on a server. And if it’s a desktop machine or running desktop apps - that’s kinda different.

Fair point. Unfortunately, I couldn't really evaluate the need for all the extra stuff he went on about. I don't do X forwarding myself; one of the big reasons I have my own metal for development is so that I don't have to offer sacrifices to the corporate cluster gods, I just walk downstairs...

The big question is why - as weird as it sounds anything on Linux tends to be a config file or command line utility, unless you’re actually using desktop apps (what x forwarding tends to be for). There’s not much you can do for configuration on a server with x windows (oracle installers aside, I guess - those are at least somewhat handy). I have linux desktops, but the servers are effectively headless. I can’t think of anything I’d want to do with x windows on a server. And if it’s a desktop machine or running desktop apps - that’s kinda different.
Good question! Mainly to get away from windows when using a browser since a linux live OS could just be booted and then 'nuked from orbit' on any reboot. Even the embedded and IOT versions of windows are still trying to mess around and not be static while something like a TENS live cd is just open and close fire and forget. But you can't just boot it headless on something and rdp in like I do for windows machines.

I have servers, but haven't started messing with them yet where I can probably use some sort of ikvm/ipmi and a VM of a TENS iso and that might do the job, but at that point, I can VM a windows instance and nuke it each time and it's got rdp native.

I'm sure there's other ways to skin this cat, so would be interested in hearing thoughts, and feel free to PM to keep people from getting pissy about the 'thread topic'. :ROFLMAO: Imagine if people did this in real life group conversations, haha.

Fair point. Unfortunately, I couldn't really evaluate the need for all the extra stuff he went on about. I don't do X forwarding myself; one of the big reasons I have my own metal for development is so that I don't have to offer sacrifices to the corporate cluster gods, I just walk downstairs...
I wish all websites still worked great on lynx--then I wouldn't need any windowing stuff either. :) I just never found unix as intuitive to me as DOS so I missed the boat on being able to truly do anything with my systems.

Good question! Mainly to get away from windows when using a browser since a linux live OS could just be booted and then 'nuked from orbit' on any reboot. Even the embedded and IOT versions of windows are still trying to mess around and not be static while something like a TENS live cd is just open and close fire and forget. But you can't just boot it headless on something and rdp in like I do for windows machines.

I have servers, but haven't started messing with them yet where I can probably use some sort of ikvm/ipmi and a VM of a TENS iso and that might do the job, but at that point, I can VM a windows instance and nuke it each time and it's got rdp native.

I'm sure there's other ways to skin this cat, so would be interested in hearing thoughts, and feel free to PM to keep people from getting pissy about the 'thread topic'. :ROFLMAO: Imagine if people did this in real life group conversations, haha.
Ah, ok - well, you can do that - building in xforwarding configurations to a liveCD is possible, but since we're already talking about booting media, I'd think that means that:
1. You're in front of the machine to put a USB stick in, so you've got a monitor and don't need RDP.
2. You're connected over IPMI, which has a virtual monitor with it
3. You just left a LiveCD USB stick in a random box somewhere? (why?)

I use VMs for what you're trying to do - can stick them and VMware player / virtual box / etc on an external drive and boot those up all you need. Never had the need to forward X personally since the early 2000s - back then we needed a central server with xemacs/gvim so we were all compiling against the same architecture (SPARC). It's possible - but it's just not really used since either you're interactive (in front of a desktop or VM), or you're remote (which doesn't need RDP, you just use SSH and the CLI tools).

Ah, ok - well, you can do that - building in xforwarding configurations to a liveCD is possible, but since we're already talking about booting media, I'd think that means that:
1. You're in front of the machine to put a USB stick in, so you've got a monitor and don't need RDP.
2. You're connected over IPMI, which has a virtual monitor with it
3. You just left a LiveCD USB stick in a random box somewhere? (why?)

I use VMs for what you're trying to do - can stick them and VMware player / virtual box / etc on an external drive and boot those up all you need. Never had the need to forward X personally since the early 2000s - back then we needed a central server with xemacs/gvim so we were all compiling against the same architecture (SPARC). It's possible - but it's just not really used since either you're interactive (in front of a desktop or VM), or you're remote (which doesn't need RDP, you just use SSH and the CLI tools).
I try to keep configs uniform and pretty brainless, so if a machine croaks or I add another machine, I can just move the live cd over and boot it and let it be on its way. More of #3 since these systems are in different states and I've got ipsec tunnels to the different sites. Right now they have some form of windows, but these just over time can get 'crusty' and I have to re-image them. It would be nice to have a nice locked linux that I can get into remotely for gui use. At least that's the whole idea.

But this is more like a stopgap because VMs are the way to go since I have so many different pieces of server hardware that I could run HA setups and just put everything on the servers, running as many instances as I want that would greatly exceed the number of physical machines I use today (somewhere near 50--I keep different company's work on a differnet physical machine or two so I can swap companys easily as I frequently get interrupted for days or weeks at a time with one fire or another). I've read up on proxmox and that's what I've decided I want to use, but haven't played with it fully to be ready to start implementing it. Then I have to make virtual disks of all the physical machines and then get them all running--lotsa work.

I try to keep configs uniform and pretty brainless, so if a machine croaks or I add another machine, I can just move the live cd over and boot it and let it be on its way. More of #3 since these systems are in different states and I've got ipsec tunnels to the different sites. Right now they have some form of windows, but these just over time can get 'crusty' and I have to re-image them. It would be nice to have a nice locked linux that I can get into remotely for gui use. At least that's the whole idea.
Any machine like that I’d have running IPMI or ESX/Hyper-V and the machine as a VM (and probably IPMI anyway). I have a similar setup - if the box didn’t come with IPMI I buy a tiny pilot for it. If I don’t want it to be booting local I either PXE boot or iSCSI. USB sticks go walkabout and are a security risk.
But this is more like a stopgap because VMs are the way to go since I have so many different pieces of server hardware that I could run HA setups and just put everything on the servers, running as many instances as I want that would greatly exceed the number of physical machines I use today (somewhere near 50--I keep different company's work on a differnet physical machine or two so I can swap companys easily as I frequently get interrupted for days or weeks at a time with one fire or another). I've read up on proxmox and that's what I've decided I want to use, but haven't played with it fully to be ready to start implementing it. Then I have to make virtual disks of all the physical machines and then get them all running--lotsa work.
Heh. You’ll find once you start it goes fast. Very fast.

Any machine like that I’d have running IPMI or ESX/Hyper-V and the machine as a VM (and probably IPMI anyway). I have a similar setup - if the box didn’t come with IPMI I buy a tiny pilot for it. If I don’t want it to be booting local I either PXE boot or iSCSI. USB sticks go walkabout and are a security risk.

Heh. You’ll find once you start it goes fast. Very fast.
I typically have a hard drive installed with the 'image' I want on it, but then when things go wrong I have to move the machine to where it has a full kvm and then fix it before putting it back. I probably have almost a dozen systems that are in this state right now where 'something' went wrong and no time to work on it, so boot something else up in its place. I just realize that must have been what happened to a system earlier today that went off-line when others in the same lan didn't--I suspect it overheated and popped something. :(

Yeah, generally that's what happens when I get into something, but then adapting it to daily use takes forever. I still have a 42u rack at one site that has almost 10u of gear that hasn't even been switched on and just tested. That stuff alone could probably power enough VMs for me.

Tiny pilot is your friend. Go snag a few!
Yeah, I've have something like this at one site (a Black Box wizard model that does the same thing). The problem with something like Tiny Pilot that even if I hook it up to a 4-port kvm that I have, it's still costs more than the 4 systems it connects to. :D Plus, it seems like my favorite resolution of 2560x1600 is the real dealbreaker. :(

I've heard of the TinyPilot, but it loses to PiKVM because I need such a device to remotely utilize the power/reset switches like a proper IPMI implementation, and it also costs more to boot.

That said, I'm still waiting on my PiKVM v4 Plus to arrive in the coming months. I'm itching to integrate it into my Threadripper 1950X homelab-in-a-box so I can really complete the feel of "Dell EMC/HPE-level hardware but without the excruciating boot times, janky BIOS when UEFI should've been adopted and jet turbine fans" that I'm going for with it.

Still have to commit to buying unbuffered ECC at some point, though, and my wallet just hates me for it - but I have learned that there is at least one W680 board that utilizes DDR4 instead of DDR5, so putting it all into the Threadripper build and carrying it forward into a repurposed 12700K build when I toss a 13900K into my main Z690 board isn't out of the question.

Back