How much RAM is worth to have

Lucky75

Limp Gawd
Hello guys,
how much GB RAM is worth to have today ?
Did is relevant to have 128 GB or more ?

Depends entirely on what you're doing. email and a few trivial documents 8 GB is plenty. Large analytic databases you might want 1 or 2 TB of main memory. What usage did you have in mind?

I am working some small VMs with Linux, Streaming, Editing, Office work, Internet browsing and Gaming. So I am focused to 64 GB but prices are so low and wondering for 128 GB packs.

2x 32gb would be my recommendation and see how it does, if you run out you can always pickup a second kit (assuming you have 4 slots)

Assuming you have the workload on an existing computer, how much memory is it using now?

Always amazed at questions from people that appear to be pretty clued up on what they are currently doing and to have got there, have had to have made some technical thoughts and decisions already.

Like a Formula 1 driver asking "How fast do you think I should drive in the wet?":)

How many VM's would be running concurrently? Unless you have 3 or 4 (or more) active VM's going, I'm inclined to think that 32GB is enough. ochadd's question is certainly pertinent as well. I very much doubt that you need 128GB.

Home system, 32GB. You want to run vm's buy another dedicated system. "Home" is the key word here.

Personally and professionally I would not run vm's on a gaming system.

Personally and professionally I would not run vm's on a gaming system.

I guess it depends on the reason for running the VM. If it's to play with another OS, for instance experiment with a Linux VM on a Windows host, I see no problem with it. Likewise for an occasional thing, like where I have to run a Windows VM (ugh) on my laptop a couple times a year, no big deal.

Anything intensive, frequent, or production mode, agree completely.

I guess it depends on the reason for running the VM. If it's to play with another OS, for instance experiment with a Linux VM on a Windows host, I see no problem with it. Likewise for an occasional thing, like where I have to run a Windows VM (ugh) on my laptop a couple times a year, no big deal.

Anything intensive, frequent, or production mode, agree completely.

I do the same thing with testing out new Linux releases but alas we don't get too many details from OP.... 😁

I'm trying to aim for 32gig for my next gaming laptop, bare minimum is 16.
I'm a heavy browser tab user. I might go for a single 8gig stick config and get a 32gig kit later tho. Not to sure if I could get a good price for the 16gigs when I sell them.

Lets be real. 8GB for a working machine, 16GB for a gaming machine, 32GB or greater for a professional workstation or virtualization, etc

Lets be real. 8GB for a working machine, 16GB for a gaming machine, 32GB or greater for a professional workstation or virtualization, etc
I don't know .. my gaming "felt" ....noticeably smoother going from 16GB to 32GB ..

I don't know .. my gaming "felt" ....noticeably smoother going from 16GB to 32GB ..
I watch my memory consumption while I play. No matter the title, never gets anywhere near 16GB. Just facts and numbers for me.

I watch my memory consumption while I play. No matter the title, never gets anywhere near 16GB. Just facts and numbers for me.
were you running only 16GB during these tests? ... I run 32gb and have seen memory usage push 20gb

Hell no. Most work computers have a ton of bullshit running on them even at "idle". Drive encryption software, Symantec antivirus or something similar, etc. Not to mention, whatever logging software my be there to monitor employees. That said, I agree with you on the gaming machines and other recommendations although, it depends on what you are doing specifically. More RAM for a RAM drive is fine if you want to do that and there are many cases where a workstation or a machine running tons of VM's could need more.

were you running only 16GB during these tests? ... I run 32gb and have seen memory usage push 20gb
Only 16GB. I actually have 32GB of ddr3 on the shelf I haven't installed yet, lol. But I have rarely seen over 12GB of consumption.

Gaming machines don't generally need 16GB of RAM. The issue is that there are cases where more than 8GB is needed. Not so much because of games, but because of the game, OS and whatever else may be running. The fact is, 10 or 12GB is probably enough for most games, but unless you are on X58, you won't typically see RAM installed in increments other than 8GB since most machines are still only using two memory channels.

Back