how much performance will improve if...

bennetvu

Limp Gawd
if you have ram runs at 888mhz and oc'd it to 1ghz, how much performance will you see? can you even tell? thanks

or does overclocking your rams even increase your performance much?

Read a members benchmark on the eVGA forum not too long ago using a 800 mhz memory, and comparing it with a 1066 mhz stick. Another benchmark was run as well by overclocking his ram. Each benchmark showed a slight improvement in frame rates, but not noticable in everyday task. His final remark was, that unless you run benchmark programs for fun, its not all that important or noticeable.

Think it would apply to your question. Others will weigh in on this.

For me, its not worth the risk to overclock the memory, and stick with overclocking the cpu and video card instead. Wish I had not gotten the 1066 mhz corsair dominators now, and got the 800 mhz sticks instead.

VelocityMicro Gamers Edge

680i SLI
P-28 bios
4 gb Corsair DDR2-1066 mhz
8800 GTX
Vista 64 bit OS

Those who buy faster ram isn't necessarily just because they want the extra speed. Most will want the extra headroom for overclocking past the rated speed, especially with E63x0 and his low multiplier.

Personnally, I bought mine just because I wanted the room to play with the maximum overclock and it worked perfectly well :)

Some feel running at 1:1 is the way to go. If you buy 800 ram you may not get to run at 1:1 when you OC , so faster ram , 1066 , gives you room to run at 1:1 , my ram is 1066 but is running at 875 @ 4-4-3-10 nice and stable !

I forgot one thing while posting my comment... Some will also want to get faster RAM so it can run at lower speeds but at tighter timings. If you get a 1066 at cas 5, it may be able to run at 800 at cas 4 or even cas 3.

There are lots of valid reasons to buy better stuff.

Back