How Much Performance Is Lost Using A 4x AGP vs 8x AGP?

Krazy_Joe

Limp Gawd
I was just wondering how much of a real world performance loss would there be if I used a 8x agp card in a 4x agp slot? The reason im asking is because if there is significant drop in performance due to 4x limits on my mobo then I wont spend the extra $$ for the fx5700 or 9800xt. I just want to upgrade till I purchase my new rig in January of next year.(waiting for AMD FX-55 :D )

here is my rig
AMD T-bird 1.1ghz
384MB Ram
Sound blaster Live platinum 5.1
video card to be changed is a Geforce2 Ultra 64MB AGP4x
300Watt Power Supply
Mobo Abit KT7-Raid

Im thinking of purchasing the following please post what you think would be best for my rig:
ATI powercolor Radeon 9550 256MB DDR
GeForce FX5700 256MB
ATI 9800 XT

Virtually none. AGP 8X is pretty much useless for games that have been released up to thise point.

Really? I would have thought that the extra bandwidth would improve performance

But I do have a slow 1.1ghz so what card would you get? Damnit I wish the Nfoce 4 w/ pci express SLI and my AMD FX-55 would hurry and get out!!! Foshizzle!

Extra bandwidth does not improve performance if the current level if bandwidth is not fully utilized. Games don't use up that much of the AGP bus.

Krazy_Joe said:
But I do have a slow 1.1ghz so what card would you get? Damnit I wish the Nfoce 4 w/ pci express SLI and my AMD FX-55 would hurry and get out!!! Foshizzle!
I don't think I'd even bother to upgrade my video card. You're going to get pretty horrible performance no matter what in modern games because of your CPU.

kick@ss said:
I don't think I'd even bother to upgrade my video card. You're going to get pretty horrible performance no matter what in modern games because of your CPU.

I wouldnt but I got a new monitor.... HP L2335 and want to use the DVI connector

Krazy_Joe said:
I wouldnt but I got a new monitor.... HP L2335 and want to use the DVI connector
Just get a cheaper video card then with a DVI out. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap. If a major upgrade is around the corner it wouldn't be such a good idea to spending the money for a 9800 XT (the Pro is a much, much better deal too).

Krazy_Joe said:
lol, yeah i bet. But I just want something to hold me for a 6 more months
You might be able to pick up a Ti 4x00 pretty cheap and one might come with a DVI out. Granted, you won't be able to play the latest and greatest games at a decent framerate but if you can manage to just play oder, less demanding games then when it comes time to upgrade in 6 months you can get a 6800 or X800. Kind of senseless to spend the cash on a 9800 XT when your CPU can't utilize its potential and the 6800 and X800 destroy it in terms of performance. In 6 months the 6800 and X800 will be easy to find, and cheaper.

kick@ss said:
You might be able to pick up a Ti 4x00 pretty cheap and one might come with a DVI out. Granted, you won't be able to play the latest and greatest games at a decent framerate but if you can manage to just play oder, less demanding games then when it comes time to upgrade in 6 months you can get a 6800 or X800. Kind of senseless to spend the cash on a 9800 XT when your CPU can't utilize its potential and the 6800 and X800 destroy it in terms of performance. In 6 months the 6800 and X800 will be easy to find, and cheaper.

Yeah what im hoping is that the 6800 GT or Ultra will go down in price w/ 2 in SLI on the nforce 4
... oh yeah :cool:

Krazy_Joe said:
Yeah what im hoping is that the 6800 GT or Ultra will go down in price w/ 2 in SLI on the nforce 4
... oh yeah :cool:
That's PROBABLY what will happen... (I'm hoping so too).

Back to the original thread topic...

Read this

The author tries everything from underclocked AGP 0.67x to AGP 8x and measures the performance. He finds that there is almost no gain moving from 4x to 8x.

Hope this helps.

daddybigwords said:
Back to the original thread topic...

Read this

The author tries everything from underclocked AGP 0.67x to AGP 8x and measures the performance. He finds that there is almost no gain moving from 4x to 8x.

Hope this helps.

Well, i guess now the question would be what video card for a 1.1ghz processor since agp is not an issue

Back