How much performance gain if upgrade to 2gig

xFuryofFivex

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 1gig(2x 512mb) of Geil value ram
here is link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144305

if i add another stick of 1gb... what kind of performance gain will i get...

i play doom 3,UT2004,BF2,Half-life

i know my BF2 doesnt run smooth even on Med...

here is my hardware

AMD 64 3200+ Stock Clawhammer
BFG 6800 GT OC @ 390/1180 AGP
1gb Geil value ram pc3200 DDR400 3-3-3-6
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
Aspire 520 Watt psu
Wester Digtal 7200rpm SATA drive 200gb=186gb after format

i didnt overclock the stuff because its hot where i am even with the AC... and my temps arent what i like to see... videocard gets into 80's when at 400/1100

BF2 is the only one you'll notice a postive difference with, the rest will slow down a bit due to switching the command rate to 2T and dropping to 166mhz to accomodate 4 sticks of ram

yes, because the mobo will force the ram speed to 166mhz and raise command rate to 2T. BF2 and WoW will probably be the only things you see a benefit in, everything else will drop a slight amount.. not a ton though

ick... i think ill not get another gig yet then......i thought this motherboard supported up to 3gig, why would 2 drag the speed down

xFuryofFivex said:
ick... i think ill not get another gig yet then......i thought this motherboard supported up to 3gig, why would 2 drag the speed down

You're not reading what was said. By adding another stick (or two) you are going to force your memory controller to address the sticks at 166MHz (or 333MHz effectively) instead of the 200MHz (or effective 400MHz) you should be seeing now. Also, if you are running at 1T, you will need to go to 2T in order for the memory controller to address all the sticks.

NOW THEN, if you wanted to get 2 Gigs (2x1 gig) sticks, you wouldn't have this problem. But that's going to cost you a whole lot more.

This much |---------------------------------------|

But seriously, unless you have 2x1gb it isn't worth it IMHO.

I gained 500+ pts in Aquamark, and thats the only one I tested before I got the 5.8 cats. After I put the drivers in and the ram I gained 500+ pts in 3d mrk2005. There is a gain sometimes.By the way, I'm still at 200MHz 2-2-2-6, 4 Dimms with 512 in each one. I love the 2gb and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm also a big BF2 fan and that is the reason for adding the extra gb.

im sorry that just sounds crazy....some motherboards come out and say that 3dimms will do that..i didnt read that about this one... o well thnx for the info

xFuryofFivex said:
im sorry that just sounds crazy....some motherboards come out and say that 3dimms will do that..i didnt read that about this one... o well thnx for the info
hmm? it's not a mobo specific thing, but a limitation of the a64's memory controller.

(cf)Eclipse said:
hmm? it's not a mobo specific thing, but a limitation of the a64's memory controller.
Isn't that fixed in the san dieagos? because I remember hearing something about that...

//Elimi'Xed

Elimi'Xed said:
Isn't that fixed in the san dieagos? because I remember hearing something about that...

//Elimi'Xed
I remember reading something like that too. 4 sticks would not work properly before the new core. Don't mark my words though.

Elimi'Xed said:
sorta. s939 revE cores are now 200mhz at 2T with 4 double sided sticks. before, it was 166mhz at 2T.. but this is a moot point, being a s754 rig with a clawhammer :p

assuming the new ram doesn't have issues with the old stuff, or vice versa, yes, that will work just fine :D

xFuryofFivex said:
itll be the same brand, same speed, jsut 1gb instead of 512mb
true, but if it's 1gb instead of 512mb, it'll use different ram chips.. and be a different density. this is my biggest concern.. but it should be ok

ok i used another 512mb stick out of someone elses computer.. figured same brand.. same size... i put it on auto settings.. and it defaulted to 133mhz... for some reason though it loaded real fast...

i think im just gonna lose the 2 512mb's and then get 2 1gb's... i just realized why bf2 performance sux....when i check windows i only have about 700mb of free memory.. where it all goes... i have no idea.. so i figure 2 gigs should be plenty right now 1024x768 runs realllll crappy.... with my rig i should have no problem with that resolution

should i get ram with heatspreaders... i plan on changing the timings hopefully
is that one better than the geil ram?

xFuryofFivex said:
should i get ram with heatspreaders... i plan on changing the timings hopefully
is that one better than the geil ram?
heatspreaders actually just make the ram itself a bit warmer.
and yes, it is better imo

xFuryofFivex said:
would u consider rosewill a good company?
it's newegg's brand iirc. i'd still go with the crucial, you should be able to do 240-250mhz with it.

does this also apply to pentium 4s with ram in dual channel
for example if i was to put 4 x 512mb of the same ram would i lose speed?

i dont know if im gonna overclock.... it gets hot where i have my pc...at full load
my
videocard gets to the low 70's, and CPU low 40's... im just gonna tweak the memory alittle

Is newegg the only supplier of 1gig Ballistix PC4000? crucial.com is too much, and I would rather not buy from newegg.

They charge tax to TN, which is a 9.25% rate. So it would be about $30 extra. Plus, they charge shipping now, which just annoys me.

xFuryofFivex said:
ok last question how about 1.5gigs i can drop 512mb and get a gig... will that work...

thats what I would do. My bud (DreamLAN Master) runs a s754 clawhammer, and his BF2 incressed greatly with 1.5gigs

AlexStenka said:
since BF2 came out this forum turned in to 2GB forum all of a sudden lol... :rolleyes:

Well, the games rox! and the game likes 2gb, and there is alot of confusion on how to run 2gb, and why just adding 2 more 512 stick hurts. But yea there is alot of 2gb talk now, but its better than talking Hl2?

Amount of RAM needed is directly dependant for most games on two things a) resolution b) eye candy.

If you play all games at 1600x1200 and as much AA/AF/quality you can throw at it, then yes you will needed 1.5GB - 2.0GB for many games. However, if you play at 1024x768 with little AA/AF/qulaity then 2GB will do nothing for you.

Everyone needs to reboot their machine then monitor their peak commit charge in the task manager. This will tell you much memory you REALLY need. If that number goes above your actual RAM value...then you need more RAM. It is that simple....

Playing WoW I would easily hit 1.3-1.4GB.

link

-tReP

Trepidati0n said:
Amount of RAM needed is directly dependant for most games on two things a) resolution b) eye candy.

If you play all games at 1600x1200 and as much AA/AF/quality you can throw at it, then yes you will needed 1.5GB - 2.0GB for many games. However, if you play at 1024x768 with little AA/AF/qulaity then 2GB will do nothing for you.

link

-tReP

not true, I benched the shit out of Bf2, even when leaving 1024x768, all on med.
adding 2gb incressed fps at least 10, at the smae settings over 1gb, and it incressed load times... (and alt-tabing abilitys)

Back