How much of a real world difference between EVGA 2080's?

Reaperkk

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to replace my ATI 290 (I just can't take how loud the card is anymore) with a 2080. I'm leaning towards getting a 2080 FTW3 but I wanted to know how much of a real world difference can I expect from a slightly faster clock rate and an additional fan over say the XC gaming. I don't plan on overclocking but the the quieter the card the better.

Not much. Slightly higher boost clocks, but it's not enough to make a big deal out of if you're not overclocking anyway - no real world difference. Best get the quietest version you can get.

Last edited:
^^^^ Pretty much this. It turns into an exercise of shaving gnat whiskers in the grand scheme of things.

The more fans the quieter the card. Ftw3 model is the one you should be looking for.

Makes hardly any difference maybe a bump of 5+ fps over the regular 2080s I have evga 2080 gaming have about 50 hours on the card.

More power a higher end card can provide usually the higher sustained clocks.. but eith thst said every chip is different. Do all ends up depending on the silicon lottery. But if the chip wants to fly its gona need more power to handle it. The ftw3 gives you the most power.

With all that said yeah.. a few frames per second more. Looks like a big deal if your into benching.

For me I'd spend a little more to be happy if your already spending that much.

So in the end cooling/power matters in the end to high sustainable clocks.

Without high power you'll have clocks dancing up and down quickly. At the same time high temps will also drop your clocks thanks to nvidia's boost 3.0 to keep the card from burning up.

The more fans the quieter the card. Ftw3 model is the one you should be looking for.

Bigger fans are often quieter than more small fans but it will also depend on the quality and RPM of the fans. If the 3 fans can be run lower RPM than two bigger ones it might make less noise. The character of the noise will also have a marked effect in perceived volume. High pitched fans will be more noticeable.

I had to send back a Gigabyte 980 Ti Windforce because it was loud as a jet engine with 3 fans but the MSI 980 Ti I got was very quiet with only two but slightly bigger ones. I was surprised because the Gigabyte 970 Windforce models (3 fans) I had were incredibly quiet.

Bigger fans are often quieter than more small fans but it will also depend on the quality and RPM of the fans. If the 3 fans can be run lower RPM than two bigger ones it might make less noise. The character of the noise will also have a marked effect in perceived volume. High pitched fans will be more noticeable.

I had to send back a Gigabyte 980 Ti Windforce because it was loud as a jet engine with 3 fans but the MSI 980 Ti I got was very quiet with only two but slightly bigger ones. I was surprised because the Gigabyte 970 Windforce models (3 fans) I had were incredibly quiet.
Yeah I have been happy with Gigabyte windforce cards, my 1070 was basically silent.

Back