How much of a FPS gain in games from overclocking my CPU?

Compddd

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Core i7 920 running stock 2.66GHz, GTX 580, 30" Dell LCD.

Would I see a decent FPS gain in games if I OCed my i7 to 3.5GHz?

Depends on the game. For games that are CPU bound, yes. For games that aren't, not so much.

you won't see a decrease so if yuo can get a couple extra MHZ or even another ghz out of it why not right...

just have adequate cooling and do it

What resolution are you running? I can bet you bottom dollar that a I7 at stock would bottleneck the card.

So to answer your question yes oc to 3.5 will remove any bottlenecks and improve your game play.

2560 x 1600 resolution, 30" monitor

oc it till 3.5. That's a mild oc for that cpu and even in the future when that 1 or 2 bad port comes along you'll be able to handle it without a problem.

Are you playing currently everything maxed out with vsync on?

Like I said, it is very game specific. If you're maxing all the games you're currently playing, then you don't need to bother overclocking. If/when you come across games that you can't max, then overclock your processor.

I meant, I set all the settings to max in games, I don't get 60 FPS very often in many games

yeah I max all settings in my games and use vsync

overclock your cpu.. See if you can get vsync off at 3.5. Vsync can cause your gpu to run half your refresh rate where its suppose to run under it. That's one of the problems with it.

Less than 60 fps, I OCed it to 3.6GHz but I'm still getting the same FPS in Homefront that I was before I OCed the CPU, which is 30 FPS lol

Wow turning off v-sync upped my FPS from 30 to 50, thanks for the tip!

Got any other tips? :)

BFBC2 is a game that will improve quite a bit with an OC.

When I had my E6420, the difference between stock and an OC of 3.2GHz was night and day.

Back