How much is the Q6400/Q6300... or wait to buy K8L since I got the board?

Serge84

Gawd
Wondering about the price and when they will come out. If they come out at the same time K8L does it would just be a waist of money to get a $300 board to support a Q Intel. But I do have the money. Id just want to get the cheapest solution in a reasonable time frame. What do you guys think?

Thanks

I have heard rumors that the Q6600 ought to be priced around $850 in 1k units. It would only make sense for the other two chips to be cheaper. Maybe you could estimate their prices by looking at the current dual-core pricing scheme?

I have no knowledge as to the performance, price or availability of K8L.

drizzt81 said:
I have heard rumors that the Q6400 ought to be priced around $850 in 1k units.

I have no knowledge as to the performance, price or availability of K8L.

No, that's the Q6600 (2.4GHz). I haven't seen any pricing info regarding Q6300 and Q6400.

Anyway, to OP, I'd probably just stick to what you've got and see what K8L dishes up, since you've already committed to AM2.

Thanks anyways. I'll just wait and deside then. See how they compare. I may even rethink my budget since i have a job that pays very well now I could end up getting anything the future has to offer.

My new motto might be performance regardless of company name.

Serge84 said:
Thanks anyways. I'll just wait and deside then. See how they compare. I may even rethink my budget since i have a job that pays very well now I could end up getting anything the future has to offer.

That's the smartest thing you could've said. ;)

Seriously though, the best option is just to wait and see. Compare when the reviews start popping up or at least some guys at XS get a hold of some.

There is a distinct possibilty according to Inq for K8L not to work in AM2 mobos.
Word has it it will require the future AM2+ socket which allows separate powerplanes for the cores and IMC.

savantu said:
There is a distinct possibilty according to Inq for K8L not to work in AM2 mobos.
Word has it it will require the future AM2+ socket which allows separate powerplanes for the cores and IMC.

Thats if you want the features. Daly digest said AM2+ and AM3 chips will work in AM2 mobos but have limited features. Thats why K8L has support for DDR2 and 3 for the later mobos. Also the hyper transport will just work at lower speeds. The Inq isn't the most reliable source of info out there, they can't make up there minds, they also said AM2+ and AM3 chips would work in AM2 mobos, they are just confused. They say something else then another the next day and then back to the other later.

Look at more reliable sources specially like AMD.

Back