How much hardware have you fried?

FX25 said:
i have built 4 systems and upgraded a few others and have never fried anything. this huge list makes me want to stop asking for help here.

I'll take that with a grain of salt coming from a noob. :rolleyes:

Seriously, if you don't break, melt, fry, zap or plain just screw up doing stuff with computers, then you arn't trying or working very hard with them.

FX25 said:
i have built 4 systems and upgraded a few others and have never fried anything. this huge list makes me want to stop asking for help here.
...got to echo the previous sentiments. Bad experiences can sometimes be the very best teacher there is. Wouldn't you rather hear "....I tried that and blew stuff up" than "...hmm. Dunno - try it and get back to me"...??.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Fried 11 AMD CPU's

Put my finger On core once also "ouch" (Pfft i was surely a newb back then)

i can see some trial and error stuff but if you fry 12 MoBo or 11 CPUs give up, computers are not your thing. really.

Let's see:
What it was/What killed it.

Atari 400/time
Atari 800xl (x2)/time
2400baud modem/lightening
14400modem/lightening
6.4GB HD/shorted control card to case ('caues i'm stooped)
socket 7 MoBo/shorted, smoked (c.i.s.)
300wattPSU(x2)/power surge.
A7V133 MoBo/power surge.
1333mhz AMD socket A/terminal overclocking.
Thrust Master flight stick/worn out (yes...I wore my joystick out)

Any other distruction of hardware was intentional (i.e. sledge hammer, throwing out window, etc)

CE

I haven't fried anything.

However, when building a new machine a couple years ago, I asked my dad to install the HSF because I couldn't get it to clip. Long story short, neither of us could get it on and I needed to see if it would post. This was when I was a noob to building stuff and I thought my dad was a genius at this stuff.

He told me that we could see if it would post w/o a HSF because of "thermal protection" and that cpu's won't get that hot while idle.

So, trusting him, turn on the comp, hi2u smoke from core of AMD XP 1800+ :)

That was a fun trip to Fry's returning it. "It just stopped working."

FX25 said:

If you're a tinkerer, or if you overclock, chances are youll kill stuff. How much stuff you kill is going to depend on how much you tinker. And how hardcore you're willing to get. And im not sure why you mention how many systems you built.

MrCodeDude said:
I haven't fried anything.

However, when building a new machine a couple years ago, I asked my dad to install the HSF because I couldn't get it to clip. Long story short, neither of us could get it on and I needed to see if it would post. This was when I was a noob to building stuff and I thought my dad was a genius at this stuff.

He told me that we could see if it would post w/o a HSF because of "thermal protection" and that cpu's won't get that hot while idle.

So, trusting him, turn on the comp, hi2u smoke from core of AMD XP 1800+ :)

That was a fun trip to Fry's returning it. "It just stopped working."

ahahjahahahha

i remember when i was setting up a dlink router since its not a unique power adapter, i accidently plugged in a diff one....well...5 seconds later it looked like someone took the biggest hit ever and blew it all out on top that thing. Same thing we did dude! We go back OD and say "It just stopped working"....and ya know what....thats the truth, it just stopped working, and they didnt ask anything more.

Relatively long list here, for the amount of computers I've built. :D

Recent computer, total fuck-up:
MSI KT4 Ultra NUMBER 2 :rolleyes:
Generic PSU, came with the case
AMD 2400+

^ That was as a prelude to the first version of that, where I b0rked the MSI KT4 Ultra number 1, and a AMD 1700+. The fucking fan header of the KT4 Ultra was fried, so the CPU fan wouldn't work.

HP Motherboard for a P4. Funny story: I was building the computer with my brother and dad, and one of the screws to attach the motherboard to the back was stripped. My dad had the excellent idea to use a chisel to cut the PCB around the screw. Surprise, Suprise: new motherboard. But, since we didn't want to screw around with HP, we just built a whole new AMD system that's been running since. :p

I'm starting to get these computor things. ;)

Well, now I screwed up bigtime this time. I got an Athlon 2600+ Mobile, but it wasn't overclocking worth crap with my cheapo heatsink (yeah, there's only so much you can get with air cooling, but it's more than I got with that 99% aluminum heatsink.) I tried sticking a Volcano 6 on there because it looked like it should be better. Well, long story short, if it feels to tight, it probably is! I didn't just break one CPU in learning this lesson. It messed up the part that holds the clip on on the MB, so when I put my older much safer hsf and the tbird 1.4 I had back in, about 5 hours later, bang, the part holding the hsf breaks free, the hsf comes loose, and sans yet another cpu as well as the mb now being effectively worthless. All this just because that stupid peice of crap was too darned tight. Arg! GOD I have the worst luck with these things.

EDIT: You know what I want to know? Why don't they have better protections on CPUs? You know, like a small built in heatsink made of copper so that people can add on later without loosing anything. Not enough to really even post, but, enough to make sure the CPU never fries to the point of uselessness... I mean, it would require that the HSFs that go on top be made a bit differently, but, it wouldn't take very long at all for those to appear in abundance. I don't think it's such a crazy idea...

EDIT2: You know, while I'm thinking of it, I also took out a Geforce2 GTS. I had put heatsinks on the memory chips with just the tiniest dab of superglue to hold them in place since I didn't have epoxy and couldn't afford to buy some of the special kind you have to use for that stuff. Well, I must have missed a spot somewhere, because once, in the middle of a game, I started noticing a ton of artifacts. After a while it crashed and I had to reboot, but the pc wouldn't boot up. I opened the case to find out what was wrong and what should I find, but a heatsink lying at the bottom of the case and not covering the ram chip it was supposed to be on. Guess I missed a spot. Oh well, it was past time to upgrade. That's when I got a GF4 Ti4200.

A really nice chaintech mobo
A 40gb wd hd 7200rpm
2 psu's (el cheapo)
A shuttle mobo
A gigabyte amd mobo (quite recently)
A cd-rom drive
A cd-rw drive (lite-on 12x)

Most are because of a 400w that literally exploded and took the mobo, cd-rom, hd with it. The others were becuase one of the cables out of a psu came loost out of the little plastic thing, it was the ground wire, so it fried the cd-rom connected to it.

Amazingly the cpu, ram, nic, sound card, and gfx card survived when that one 400w psu blew up

1 Crappy generic PS
1 Radeon 9800pro
1 MSI 875P Neo
2 Lucky Star motherboards
2 3.2gb SCSI drives for Sun workstation

I can't build a system without frying a few parts. My friend always tells me that I need to stay away from electronic components. He's right.

1x scsi card - plugged in while system was on
3x scanners.- broke the plug off 1, other 2 just quit working from mistreatment
2x hdd - nothing i did. just their time to go.
4x mobo's - one of those pressed too hard putting the ide cable in. it snapped.
2x cpu's - p3 500mhz, used wrong size heatsink but i thought that as long as the heatsink was near the cpu it would be cool enough. :eek: 1ghz thunderbird. OK arctic silver 1 conducts electricity, i learned not to spread the stuff all over the chip. $500 for that chip :eek:

countless keyboards - i had a iguana that loved to crap on my keyboards.
2x monitors
1x tron arcade machine power supply and possible boards and monitor - thanks to a monitor that wasn't properly ground.

4x cdrom drives at least.
1x mouse - brand new wireless ms mouse. dropped on the floor, no cord to stop the fall.

and most recently, a gigabyte GA-K8NS PRO. system was running stable and beautifully. then it locked up. I hit the reset button and the whole system shut down. Never worked again. Not sure what went wrong exactly. :confused:

I use to hang the blown parts on my wall. Looked pretty trashy after a while, so I quit doing that.

8x CDRW
52X CD-ROM
56k Modem
P4P800 Deluxe
Sound Blaster Live!
MSI TV @nywhere Master
2 Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 1.0

SO far, only an ancient gigabyte celeron mobo, but that was on purpose, in order to un-fry my ti4200 :D
Needed some of the capacitors off it to replace the blown ones on the geforce, so unsoldered them and sacrificed the mobo for the sake of being able to play bf veitnam on my second rig hehe. Also sacrificed an old washing machine for the cause too, but that didnt work anyway lol. Couldnt belive the card actually worked though . . .

Fried...hmmmm

3 - Soyo Black Dragon Kt400 ultra's
2 - FIC AU13's
1 - Abit KT7a
1 - Abit KG7
10 - WD 40gb drives (now I only use maxtor)
3 - ATI 9700 pro and one non-pro
2 - ATI 9800 pros
1 - Gforce 400mx
1 - Voodoo Banshee 16mb
1 - p2 400 mmx
infinite number of PC-133, DDR333, DDR400 dimms
3 - Trupower 550 power supplies
2 - Trupower 400 power supplies
1 - Trublue antec powersupply
1 - Swiftech Water block
2 - Switfech Water pumps
1 - Hydor L30 water pump
4 - floppy drives (nec, sony, mitsumi)
everything that I touch with an intel chip in it.
3 - Linksys etherfast version 5.x pci lan cards.
2 - Viewsonic A95+ moniters
1 - gateway e400 monitor
1 - TDK cd burner
3 - APC surge protectors

haha, I keep track of this stuff because it is funny. I had a long time that they were working on the power outside my neighborhood. the surges were unreal, and the brown-outs were too. I had to finally get a huge UPS to keep up. That stopped me from chewing threw all this stuff. Homeowner's insurance paid for most replacements and the construction company did too. I kept a log of when the surges occured and when they stopped....which was consistant with their work schedule. :mad:

1x 586 that was fun..

one day i was building a computer for a client (i was 15) and while i was installing their brand new sound card, my step dad put his hand on my shoulder and shocked the hell out of me. I felt the shock go through my right hand, hit the card and felt the shock on my left hand. Needless to say the card was toast. i tried using it anyways, not no go. It was weird.

i had this 2gb hard drive and i could hear a strange sound inside of it. i took it apart and found that a head had broke off. I let it run with the lid off so i could back it up. after i had backed it all up (except for the platter with the broken head) i took a screwdriver and made cool designs on the drive while it was spinning.

my first, and pretty much last AMD experience. i was building a 1ghz athlon system. when i finally finished the system and booted it up it lasted about 10 seconds and smoke started comming from the cpu and the system crashed. I called amd tech support and they said it was a defect. I sent it back and they sent me a 1.33. man it smelled like ass.

Anyone ever hear of RISE? When i was building pc's in new york while i was in high school, rise called my house and wanted to send me free samples of thier chips. they sent me 2 266mhz socket 7 chips (133x2). they claimed they did not need a heatsink in order to work correctly. I set the bad boy up on a asus p5ab (something like that) The chip got soo hot in the first 10 seconds that the die cracked. I still have the other one. never used. Rise claimed it was a defect, but...i just think they suck. :)

thats all i can remember at the moment....

Oh yeah....every single IBM drive i have ever used...but, i'm sure everyone has had that experience.
-danny

Only thing I've ever fried was my old Duron 1200 cpu.
After I replaced it with an XP, I put it back in old board with no heatsink just to watch it fry.
Turned the computer on and about 5 seonds later a poof of smoke and it was gone. :)

Back