How much force to pull hard line out of fitting ?

reaper7534!

Limp Gawd
Title says it all. I have petg tubing and compression fittings. I can feel the tube seat fully in the fitting, but I can remove it with little effort. This seems wrong to me, but may be their nature. Anything to worry about ? Using xspc tube and fittings the 10/14. Chamfer edges and sanded.

There's only two (or one depending on your fitting) o-rings holding the tube in place, so they're not going to be too difficult to pull out.

I have read in many places that hard tubing generally pulls out easier from compression fittings than soft tubing does.

I can't speak tot he extent of this, as I have never used hard tubing.

I'd imagine that the nature of hard tubing means this is less of a problem though. A hard tube is going to be sandwiched between two fittings in such a way that it is less likely to see any significant forces acting parallel to the fitting than a soft tube is.

As others have said, hard tubing is sealed using one or two o-rings that are compressed by the outer ring on the fitting, where as soft tubing is sealed by compressing the tube between the fitting and outer ring. The design allows for the tube to come out fairly easily (depending on how snugly your tube fits in the fittings and the specific friction between the tube and the o-rings).

If it still concerns you, you can seal the other end and blow into the tube to see if air comes out, or you can create a loop to test outside of your case. If you can't get any air out by blowing into the tube, it probably won't leak (assuming there's no horizontal forces on the connection from the tube being cocked and not going in straight, and as long as you don't deform the end of the tube--make it not round).

Thanks guys...I just rolled with it before reading responses and glad to say I worried for nothing, leak free !!

Back