how much faster is cable > DSL?

I'm in the process of trying to convince my brother to upgrade to comcast 6mb connection from DSL. I'm not positive on which type he has, but I'm thinking 768k, but MAYBE the 3mb. Any good info on showing him how much better cable is (numbers would be nice)? We're in indy so I believe these are the only 2 options..

It depends where you are in the DSL network, the stress on the system, and how close you are to the local hub.

dR

Cable and dsl quality varies wildly depending on the area; In short, what's true for me in Modesto CA may not be true for you ( or indeed, for the next town over, which has shitty cable service ).

There is crap service with both products.
personally, I don't think there is much difference other than the rated speeds.
All i know, is that in my area, for the price of 1.5Mb dsl, i can get 8Mb cable.
Nuf said.

There is crap service with both products.
personally, I don't think there is much difference other than the rated speeds.
All i know, is that in my area, for the price of 1.5Mb dsl, i can get 8Mb cable.
Nuf said.

Exact same thing in my area, only the cable is not only faster, it's at least $20 cheaper. Not to mention is actually works, I had SBC DSL for awhile and it never worked, tons of software to install and I was actually on the phone with a tech guy for more than 2 hours (no joke) and the issue never got resolved, it was then I decided to switch to cable and I never looked back.

At least you get the choice I get cable or dialup, the worst part is my upload is 20k on a bloody 20mb download. :mad:

If you have FiOS is your area, go with that and nothing else, otherwise, look at the advertised numbers for each company. Once you do that, research to see if people are having problems with connectivity for each service. Then purchase one of the services that suits you best.

DSL is more sensitive to the distance from the phone exchange where as cable isnt too bad, if your close to the exchange then you should be able to get good rates.

over here we can get up to 24Mb on adsl with ~ 2mb but thats only in select areas and within about 2 miles of the exchange, the vast majority over here is up to 8mb (depends on distance from exchange but they will run you as fast as the line will go) and 786kb or 1mb up depending on isp

Once you sign up for one, call them up and "threaten" (nicely!) to switch to the other, competing service. They might cut your monthly bill in a bid to retain you as a customer.

hmm, my cable downloads faster than dsl, but my pings in game were much more stable with dsl. To chicago i used to ping around 48-52 with dsl, with cable I get 32-36 but my ping will randomly jump to 100+ a couple times a week for the entire day. And as luck would have it, it ALWAYS happens when I have a match :<

In all total and complete honesty- Cable is a waste of money for home users. Used to have DSL at the old house- can only get cable out here... and I notice no difference.

Obviously it depends what you use your connection for- but for most home users- just a waste.

In all total and complete honesty- Cable is a waste of money for home users. Used to have DSL at the old house- can only get cable out here... and I notice no difference.

Obviously it depends what you use your connection for- but for most home users- just a waste.

Why is it a waste if you see no difference? Unless the DSL company offers much cheaper rates for the same type of service, they I would say cable is of less value, but not a waste.

Every area in every different state has different costs and speeds. I think cable is actually more the cheaper buy with the most bandwidth. Over the years ive had a few different cable services after moving a few times. I can tell you they vary by alot.

I dunno. I have had adelphia right now for the past like 4 years, and they have been fairly decent. Our speed was around 3mbit during that time. Which isnt all that fast. Recently, adelphia got taken over by time warner, so its time warner now.

On top of that verizon is now putting in lines for verizon fios, so that is just around the corner. It is kind of funny, because now Time Warner cable has upped our speed from 3mbit, to a whopping 13mbit. lol. For the past 4 months or so, we have had a 13mbit connection from the 3mbit. Its great. :) I love competition. :)

Every area in every different state has different costs and speeds. I think cable is actually more the cheaper buy with the most bandwidth. Over the years ive had a few different cable services after moving a few times. I can tell you they vary by alot.

I dunno. I have had adelphia right now for the past like 4 years, and they have been fairly decent. Our speed was around 3mbit during that time. Which isnt all that fast. Recently, adelphia got taken over by time warner, so its time warner now.

On top of that verizon is now putting in lines for verizon fios, so that is just around the corner. It is kind of funny, because now Time Warner cable has upped our speed from 3mbit, to a whopping 13mbit. lol. For the past 4 months or so, we have had a 13mbit connection from the 3mbit we used to. Its great. :) I love competition. :)

So my point was, for here, Cable is far better than DSL.

In my area you can get 3/256, 5/512, and 10/512 cable. On the DSL side you can get 1.5/512, 3/512, and 6/1. The DSL is a much better option due to the upload speeds. However since I already have cable TV and don't have a phone line, the cable bundle price ended up being $25 cheaper a month over DSL without a land line.

Back