How much faster is 1070 vs my old R290?

topslop1

2[H]4U
Contemplating the $400 upgrade. I run 1080p on my monitor, and I play Overwatch and possibly some BF1.. how much benefit from the 1070 over my old R290? Or should I hold out?

On Overwatch, you probably wont be able to tell the difference after the upgrade. I went from a GTX 970 to 1070, also at 1080P @ 144hz, and the only other thing I changed was dialing up DSR.

Here's a quick speed comparison in synthetic benchies.

I got mine for $370 so look around before upgrading you may be able to get a deal.

1070 in most current non-AAA games at 1080p is going to be overkill. If you're considering 1440/1440p then a 1070/1080 are worthwhile upgrades.

Contemplating the $400 upgrade. I run 1080p on my monitor, and I play Overwatch and possibly some BF1.. how much benefit from the 1070 over my old R290? Or should I hold out?

If you get one check out Jet.com | Prices Drop As You Shop . It is a website owned by Wal-Mart so it is very legitimate. They are a middleman sales company; I ordered some memory and it showed up in a Newegg parcel. There is a 15% off your first 3 orders deal and more deals when you checkout.

If you're trying to hit 120+ fps in a game you will need to really crank the OC on the 2500K. Got to be able to feed the card information really fast.

Yep, I'm on a 4ghz 2500k. Wondering how much life I'll be able to get out of it - I'm thinking one more card soon and then I'll probably be due for a new system in another 2-3 years?

Yep, I'm on a 4ghz 2500k. Wondering how much life I'll be able to get out of it - I'm thinking one more card soon and then I'll probably be due for a new system in another 2-3 years?

I hear from the rumor mill that the new Kaby Lake i5's will start at 4.0GHz+. Of course I'm going to wait for Zen since I waited 5 darn years already and it's right around the corner. But I hope and pray that those Kaby Lake processors will be an across the board 25% - 40% upgrade over what you and I have. Not a flash in the pan one game upgrade; an overall, every application upgrade.

/pray for performance!

I hear from the rumor mill that the new Kaby Lake i5's will start at 4.0GHz+. Of course I'm going to wait for Zen since I waited 5 darn years already and it's right around the corner. But I hope and pray that those Kaby Lake processors will be an across the board 25% - 40% upgrade over what you and I have. Not a flash in the pan one game upgrade; an overall, every application upgrade.

/pray for performance!

I5 7600K is 3.8Ghz base. i7 7700K is 4.2Ghz base.

If you talk about turbo clocks, then sure.

/pray for performance!
lol, same here. For main or power system I want a major upgrade. My I7 system performance is nice but not significantly better then the FX one.

1070 will be a (theoretically) large performance jump, as it performs the same/slightly better/slightly worse than CFX 290s, or SLI 970s, title-dependent. A 4.5ghz OC on your 2500K should be enough for most intents.

For Overwatch, it's overkill @ 1080p unless on 120/144hz monitors (and even then it's still a little overkill). For BF1, it's best paired with an i7 (8-thread) for heavy multiplayer matches, gains will be somewhat capped otherwise.

Be very VERY careful when people go talking about 'overkill' .. frankly, in nearly every case they don't know what the fk they are talking about.

Trust me, there are MANY games that will bring your 1070 to it's knees at 1080p with high, very high / ultra settings.

The best rule of thumb is, you want ample overhead / reserve power, not a baseline. That is very silly logic when people start yapping about 'overkill'. It means a difference of upgrading the following year or not having to upgrade for a few years +

There are many many games that the Titan X Pascal can't do 60fps @ 4k even with med settings. This applies to the 1070 and 1080 at 1080p. Another way to look at it is, the 1070 is a good mid-grade card. med to high settings @ 1080p. Will you overkill the new BIoshock remaster at 1080p? Absolutely.

I always tell my friends to out your main focus on the video card when building a system. An example of this, if you're a gamer, an i5 k version and a smaller ssd is a good trade-off to be able to afford a 1080.

Manage your expectations. If you get the 1070 and think your going to overkill games at 1080p ... your going to have your feelings hurt.

Good luck.

He mentions Overwatch and BF1 @ 1080p, where yes, it *is* overkill, especially if he's on a 60hz monitor. BF1 beta already performed anywhere from 70-100fps on my OC'd 970 maxed out, default resolution scale. Overwatch goes from 90-120fps. Both games at 1080p. Minimums are excellent, beyond 60fps.

But for other games, I stipulated that it will be a large jump (even at 1080p) as long as it can be fed properly - definitely not overkill. For example, Witcher 3 should stay mostly above 60fps @ 1080p even with HairWorks on, but still may not be locked.

He mentions Overwatch and BF1 @ 1080p, where yes, it *is* overkill, especially if he's on a 60hz monitor. BF1 beta already performed anywhere from 70-100fps on my OC'd 970 maxed out, default resolution scale. Overwatch goes from 90-120fps. Both games at 1080p. Minimums are excellent, beyond 60fps.

But for other games, I stipulated that it will be a large jump (even at 1080p) as long as it can be fed properly - definitely not overkill. For example, Witcher 3 should stay mostly above 60fps @ 1080p even with HairWorks on, but still may not be locked.
I have to run OW @ 1080p with my GTX780 (comparable, faster) on medium settings to get the frames needed for 144hz.....

I've never seen a video card that was overkill for what was considered "modern games" at the time of it's release. If there is a spare CUDA core or GCN CU scheduler slot idle, a developer will take eventually take advantage of it. Try running the new Mafia III game on the highest settings at 1080p.

The rule of thumb is to purchase the best video card that you can afford.

An high OC'd 970 performs extremely close to a stock 980, which is way faster than a 780. It will definitely reach 120fps, though I don't have any experience with 144hz.

Reference: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 Review (1060 due to it being +/- 10% of a 980 )

For comparison: a GTX 980ti already performs at 130-144fps (capped) at 1440p.

I would still recommend a 1070 if he plays anything other than those two games, though.

The OP has a 144Hz monitor in his sig rofl - there is nothing overkill at all about the 1070. It's the minimum performance-class card I'd be recommending anyway. However - and this is big, that 4GHz SB clock is definitely limiting your floor FPS.

topslop1 - See if you can get that clock closer to 5Ghz. Ditto with your RAM speeds/timings, if they are at stock.
And as others have said, look for deals. If you can find say a $320 or so 980Ti - that's not a bad option there. Otherwise, the 1070's improvements would be worth the extra bit of coin - but you shouldn't be paying $400 these days.

Just picked up a MSI Gaming X 1070 for $385 from NE with MP discount + GOW4 code (going for about $40 on the forums). Ill be in it for about $345-$350 for a 1070 in the end. Not bad I dont think.

There is also the EVGA that is I believe about 15-20 cheaper. I thought about a used 980Ti but most are selling for about $325 right now. Not work $30 savings to get a used 980Ti IMO.

4,5ghz?! I'd figure I'd be pumping a lot of voltage into this to get it there? Whats a decent voltage for a 4.5ghz clock?

bumped to 4.5ghz with 1.35v. Only seen 60C max while playing overwatch - I'll have to stability test and all that jazz a little later on.

What kind of ram settings should I be looking for aiming for? Are my ram settings / timings going to have any kind of effect worthwhile? Or only 3-4%?

Last edited:
Well with a 980ti I run BF1 @ 1080p maxed out with 160 resolution scale and I stay above 60fps. Usually around 65-75fps. This is on 64 man conquest maps too.

The 1070 will easily play BF1 @ 1080p. Overwatch I would assume would run even better as it is not graphically demanding like BF1.

I would recommend upping that 2500k to 4.5-4.6ghz territory. I know HT and more cores does benefit BF1 too.

I'd keep the r9 290. I'm using one myself and unless you need more than 60 fps, it seems to be great for 1080p gaming.

I do need more than 60fps.. I loves my 144fps monitor..

Curious as to what kind of frames people are getting on 1080p maxed out 'ultra' pre-sets on bf1 with 1070 sli. (even though I do not like SLI)

Just bit the bullet and ordered a Gigabyte G1 GTX1070 on Friday, going from a GTX780 and will use on a 144hz monitor @1080p monitor. Overkill for most games but it will be beneficial in some games, like Witcher3.

Back