How much faster from 100Mb to 1000Mb?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I want to change my switch from a 100Mb to a 1000Mb. How much faster should I expect this to be, and do I want a one that supports jumbo frames?

The devices on this switch are mixed 100Mb and 1000Mb. Will that matter? Will the switch compensate for this and allow 1000Mb devices to communicate at that speed while allowing the lower speed ones to communicate at their respective speeds?

Thanks!

you will go from a theoretical max transfer rate of 12.5 MBytes/sec to 125MBytes/sec.
Of course you won't see those numbers, since it is also dependent on the NICs, hdds, etc.

Regardless, should be a noticeable improvement.

As for jumbo frames; that depends on whether or not the NICs support jumbo frames.

It wouldn't hurt to get one that does support it, but I'm not sure how well that would work with NICs that don't support it, if it is enabled.

And yes, in a mixed environment, all gigabit devices will talk to each other at gigabit, even if 100base devices are on the same switch.

you will go from a theoretical max transfer rate of 12.5 MBytes/sec to 125MBytes/sec.
Of course you won't see those numbers, since it is also dependent on the NICs, hdds, etc.

Regardless, should be a noticeable improvement.

As for jumbo frames; that depends on whether or not the NICs support jumbo frames.

It wouldn't hurt to get one that does support it, but I'm not sure how well that would work with NICs that don't support it, if it is enabled.

And yes, in a mixed environment, all gigabit devices will talk to each other at gigabit, even if 100base devices are on the same switch.

Yeah, I read that it is indeed theoretical, I'd be seeing more like 35MB/s transfer rates as opposed to like 23MB/s for the 100Mb.

Also, it's good to hear about the mixed environment. Guess I'll go ahead and invest in a new 1000Mb switch.

you should actually see higher than 35 even. 125MBytes/sec is the theoretical max; add in regular overhead, possible limitation of NICs and hdds, you should still be seeing ~50MByte/sec+

But no matter how you look at it, it will be a vast improvement. And for the price on gigabit switches now-a-days, it's the only way to go

Interesting. I've a question then.

Why the hell do I get about 10MB per second while transferring files between two computers, both having 1Gbps network chips/cards? Takes forever to get anything done

That's a result while using a pc based on Maximus formula mobo with a Quad cpu and IBM Thinkpad T42 with 1,7Ghz Celeron cpu.

:confused:

That's a result while using a pc based on Maximus formula mobo with a Quad cpu and IBM Thinkpad T42 with 1,7Ghz Celeron cpu.

:confused:

There's your answer. Believe it or not, that laptop's CPU is probably maxed while trying to transfer large files.

For example, running a live TV app over a network interface will show exactly how good your connection is, as it maxes the bandwidth over the network. I can make a laptop with low specs but a 1000Mb NIC interface choke. That's why I was asking about the switch, since I have a good laptop and a good desktop that I think could be serving me better, since they are currently connected with a 100Mb switch.

There's your answer. Believe it or not, that laptop's CPU is probably maxed while trying to transfer large files.

For example, running a live TV app over a network interface will show exactly how good your connection is, as it maxes the bandwidth over the network. I can make a laptop with low specs but a 1000Mb NIC interface choke. That's why I was asking about the switch, since I have a good laptop and a good desktop that I think could be serving me better, since they are currently connected with a 100Mb switch.

Hmm. CPU usage on the laptop was at about 15% O_O

I've also checked the transfer rates between my old P4 2.53Ghz and my main machine, and transfers between P4 and the laptop and they all hover around 10-12 megs per second ... which is killing me :S

Could it be my cables? I'm making my own cables but the cable box says it's "Gigabit ethernet certified"

Yeah, I read that it is indeed theoretical, I'd be seeing more like 35MB/s transfer rates as opposed to like 23MB/s for the 100Mb.

Also, it's good to hear about the mixed environment. Guess I'll go ahead and invest in a new 1000Mb switch.

just fyi, 23MB/s isn't obtainable on a 100Mb network, the theoretical max (as stated above) is 12.5MB/s. Even then, the realistic numbers are closer to 11MB/s including network overhead.

Going to 1000Mb should show between 20-45MB/s realistically.

@ veldi: What switch/hub are you using? If it's a 10/100 switch, those are realistic speeds. If you're using a 1Gb switch though, it may be the that the laptop just can't keep up with the transfer rates.

@ veldi: What switch/hub are you using? If it's a 10/100 switch, those are realistic speeds. If you're using a 1Gb switch though, it may be the that the laptop just can't keep up with the transfer rates.

Ah sorry, I forgot to mention we're talking direct computer to computer connection.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here :confused:

just fyi, 23MB/s isn't obtainable on a 100Mb network, the theoretical max (as stated above) is 12.5MB/s. Even then, the realistic numbers are closer to 11MB/s including network overhead.

Going to 1000Mb should show between 20-45MB/s realistically.

I realized that. Article I was reading was incorrect, or my eyes crossed something up. :D

Wasn't meant to be sarcastic or anything, sometimes connection speed in a direct connection can be forced down to 100mb speeds if a crossover cable is used. That's a very odd issue you're having though.

Ah sorry, I forgot to mention we're talking direct computer to computer connection.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here :confused:

With your laptop, are you doing anything in the background? Gaming/torrenting/flash/etc

I don't think the problem is with your desktop as it should be fast enough to transfer files at 30MB/s+ at least, over the network.

The laptop however may be the issue. It is using a slower CPU, but how much memory do you have in it? Also, has the HDD been defragged in a while/have enough free space for big files?

It could be that the HDD and/or the CPU can't keep up.

Have you tested your desktop machine with other laptops/desktops with the same crossover cable?

Is the crossover cable Cat5/5e/6?

Don't use a crossover cable for GigE unless you have to. Since auto-MDIX is built into the GigE spec you should use a straight through first.

Didn't Vista have a network speed transfer issue? Is Vista running on any of the two machines? Could you try a network transfer while booted in a Linux Live CD?

If it's Vista or Win7 you're using, try this.

1. Run CMD with admin priveleges.
2. Type the following, without quotes: "netsh int tcp show global"

Copy and paste the results here.

I have a home network with a server, 2 pcs, a Netgear Gigabit Switch, 2 printers and all Cat6 wiring in the walls. Using onboard NICs, I was maxing out around 30 MB/s. After updating my 2 pcs to Intel NICs, I average around 50 MB/s for large files (movies) and about 20 MB/s for batches of small files (pics). I've maxed out around 65 MB/s.

your laptop speeds were slow due to the laptops HD, even at 7200RPM they dont have the same speeds as desktop 7200RPM drives.

I have a home network with a server, 2 pcs, a Netgear Gigabit Switch, 2 printers and all Cat6 wiring in the walls. Using onboard NICs, I was maxing out around 30 MB/s. After updating my 2 pcs to Intel NICs, I average around 50 MB/s for large files (movies) and about 20 MB/s for batches of small files (pics). I've maxed out around 65 MB/s.

This sounds about right as far as network transfers over giga go.

In general I see around 8-10 MB/s for file transfers on 100mb networks and 25-50 MB/s for transfers are gigabit networks.

I have noticed Win7 is very good with transfers on gigabit networks and tends to get into the 60s and 70s fairly easily without tweaking.

If your disks support it at each end you can get between 100 and 112MB/s with good networking gear and windows 7 or vista at each end for large file transfers over gigabit.

I get 80-90mb/sec (per file transfer dialog) between systems here. Hard drives are the main issue, followed by shared bandwidth between nic/ hd controller.

I have no problem hitting 60MB/s between my machines. I have a Trendnet GreenNet 5 port Gigabit switch. I'm limited by my HDD speeds.

Back