How much do you think a 1TB SSD will be in a year?

supyo

n00b
In Canada a 1TB SSD goes anywhere from $450-800.

Do you expect prices to fall dramatically this year (or in a year)?

If I could find a 1TB SSD in the $250-300 range I would be happy.

How long do you think it will be?

Thanks

Last edited:
Cheapest 1tb drive should be north of $300 still. 3d NAND is still new and the future of OEM makers will be barely getting into it in a year.

One thing we should see a big dip in is m.2 SSDs and what ever will take over mSATA.

I think in 1 year we will see prices for 1TB SSDs 100-150 USD less. If something amazing happens in manufacturing and supply and demand, it might come around to the 90 - 140 USD price range. :)

^^^ I'll have some of what he's having... :D

$300 range is much more probable. Perhaps a bit below $300 for some lowest-end models.

Ya prices will keep dropping this year, i am holding out for 1TB drives as well, i can then ditch all my mechanical drives!

Well here in canada they are around $700 give or take. In 1 year prob $450 ish.

I would guess right around $300 or just below it. That seems to be the trend. If 1.5 or 2TB SSDs come out and M.2 becomes more prevalent then perhaps even a little cheaper. That's my guess.

Apart of commodity SSDs there will be more expensive ultrafast premium PCIE 3.0/NVME SSDs.

Depends. If things keep going the way they are, then I would fathom we'll see a 20-40% drop in pricing from today. If the memory manufacturers drum up another BS disaster, then pricing will shoot up 60-200%.

Expect and prepare for either...50/50 chance.

prices need to change because this market will only increase but pockets will not get deeper.

prices need to change because this market will only increase but pockets will not get deeper.

NAND vendors will not sell their products at a loss to make this happen though. With that said again I believe competition of 3D nand will drive prices down some. It will not drive it down to hard drive prices / GB but that is a different matter.

Most people don't need 1TB SSDs, so their pockets don't matter.

Personally I wouldn't wait a year for 100$, but that's just me. I splurged 400€ for one last summer (when the euro was at 1,35$).

I picked-up the Mushkin Reactor 1TB drive for $339.00 minus 10% ($305.10) I like it so far.

Back