How much do you get out of Videogames today?

I been loading up my old steam library of games from way back .. Made me wish we had hardware like this back then and these old games look all new again ..

Same. Been going through all the (kid friendly) games in my library. Sadly there aren’t a lot. Lol

Bad Company was my favorite next to 1942. Remember riding on the wings of planes and sniping ground troops in 1942 hehehe good times.

Almost none I just don't have the patience to sit there and play for hours at a time I usually manage 60 minutes a week (yes a week I play in chunks of 10-20 mins at a time, etc) I will rather be doing something else not to mention that I go straight to Crossfit after work, spend time with my grandma who has dementia, then talk to my parents and by the time I'm home is already 8-9 pm. I still buy tons of games but I limit myself to $10.00-$15.00 price range for PC games and I started buying retro games when the shutdown happen mostly PS2 games, PS3, Dreamcast, Saturn (all Japanese imports since they're dirt cheap) mostly fighting games and Sega arcade releases which are fun for quick 10-20 minute runs.

We're not young anymore ;)

I do not game as much as I used to. I got RTX 3080 a week ago for god knows what reason. Upgraded from 2080Ti. How much have I gamed on this 3080? I don't know, maybe 1-2 minutes?
But I do have PS5 and I have spent more time playing that, but only a couple of games, and not much, maybe 30 min/day max.
I love MMORPGs though but even that I don't spend much time on.

I'm 37 so still young, and yet I have no wife/gf or kids. I got all the time in the world. I can only imagine how much time you guys with kids and wifes have (left :ROFLMAO:).

Same. Been going through all the (kid friendly) games in my library. Sadly there aren’t a lot. Lol
I don't know which part that is being played there as it's WWII looking as it must be from around 2009 era (the game) because downloading games had just kind of started then and older games I played before were CD type as I started in MOHAA about 2001 - 2002 and even my Crysis copy was CD roam ..

Still have COD Black Ops and COD Modern Warfare 2 .. Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes 2.. World in Conflict and World in Conflict 2

I enjoy iRacing for about an hour a day or so, then I still like to play RPG's and SP Story Games. I use to play online MP shooters but as I get older, I have lost the edge and do not enjoy trying to "git gud" and spending hundreds of hours. I have to play games that I can break up into short periods, so single player games with instant game saves.

Plenty. Besides checking out the graphics which is my main interest there's a lot to see and download from the game mod sites like Nexus and ModDB. And posting in their forums too.

Plenty. Besides checking out the graphics which is my main interest there's a lot to see and download from the game mod sites like Nexus and ModDB. And posting in their forums too.
Played Resident Evil with mods and it was quite enjoyable.

I don't get a whole lot out of big studio games anymore. I feel like modern AAA gaming is missing so much of the charm and ingenuity of older games. I don't think it's just nostalgia. So many people who developed amazing games during the PC "golden age" are either out the industry, diluted by a heap of mediocre devs in the same studio, or doing something else. Look at Thief 2 compared to the reboot a few years ago. Gaming has gotten so big that almost nobody takes risks. Studios hire talentless writers who feel a need to push "the message". Nintendo is one of the few big companies still able to put out mostly quality content. The last AAA games that "wowed" me where from 2015 - MGS V and Witcher 3. Look where those studios are now. I think the whole "AAA" label needs to be replaced with something else. Something to describe some form of generic corporate entertainment.

I used to be a big FPS MP gamer with Tribes, CS, Battlefield, etc... Hopping on any modern FPS multiplayer game is mostly a miserable experience. What used to be simple fun is cluttered with progression systems and cosmetics made to keep you "engaged". You have to keep up with a constantly evolving "meta". Good luck if you take a break. While I don't think there is anything wrong with streaming games, it has created a whole class of gamer who thinks they can make it as the next big streamer and make it a full time job. It ruins it for people who play games for fun. If you're someone who doesn't stink, but is still decent, SBMM systems lump you in with sweaty TTV players to be fodder. Hacking is also worse than I ever remember. I used to occasionally run into hackers, but I'm seeing them all the time now. With the garbage release of BF2042 I've given up on the FPS genre for the foreseeable future.

Not to be a complete Debbie Downer, there are still great indie games and games from mid-sized studios where all the innovation and/or fun is happening. I do get enjoyment out of many of those games. I also look forward to FROM Software releases. I also haven't checked out any VR games, but from others on here it sounds like there is much promise there. That is my white pill.

I enjoy iRacing for about an hour a day or so, then I still like to play RPG's and SP Story Games. I use to play online MP shooters but as I get older, I have lost the edge and do not enjoy trying to "git gud" and spending hundreds of hours. I have to play games that I can break up into short periods, so single player games with instant game saves.
I use to do iRacing about 10 years ago on my x58 /i7-930 / HD 7950 in Eyefinity 3 x 1080p displays .. seen alot of older Nascar guys back then racing on short tracks ..

Bop I am in this same boat, i haven't bought a new game in god knows how long...i tend to fall back to older games like CS:Go or Team Fortress 2, i will play Apex Legends here and there with friends but thats it.

I still enjoy many games. I've been trying different genre's and that helps. 4-5 years ago I started MMO games like ESO and it was refreshing. I still love racing sims and racing sims with a lil arcade. Don't be scared to buy a crappy game lol.

Nothing. The titles I'm interested in all failed out of the gate. The most recent are CP2077 and BF2042. CP2077 after the poor launch, turned out to be solid but I had to use glitches to maximize the gameplay, it shouldn't be that way. 2042 is just a disaster for a hardcore BF fan like myself. Poor design choices and cutting features plague the gaming industry, pair that with overpriced hardware and you have a recipe for a gamer to find a new hobby....mine is competitive shooting.

I play more in short bursts but still get a fair bit out of games. Don't have the time or attention span for long sessions or 100+ hour timesink RPGs and the like anymore, as much as I'd like to. Would rather have games I can jump in and out of in quick sessions (ie. Forza Horizon 5) or shorter, more curated experiences. I bought TW3 a year ago and haven't gotten through the main story let alone the DLCs despite enjoying it. Just seems like a commitment.

I'm facing burnout. I look at the Steam listing of games, and not a single one jumps out at me. I spend more time looking for games than playing. I played enough Path of Exile with this league. Last Epoch didn't do it for me. Fired up Guild Wars 2, but that's not sticking. Destiny 2 was...ok I guess.

After a long day in the office or outside choring, there isn't a game that I'm excited to get home and play.

I just keep buying games and most I do is play them the night I get them and shelf them. Half the time I just put it straight on to the shelf. I tried getting back into FFXIV with the new expansion and didn't care for it. I ended up skipping most the cutscenes. Even with a lot of skipping I just finished the main story line Sunday. I have no desire to play it anymore after that. Before that I started Yakuza like a dragon but I made it half way through maybe before shelving it. Tales of Arise I made it to the end but lost the desire to push through to the end. Haven't touched it in months. I want to start ffxi up again but I know I will just drop it after a few week once I realize how far behind I am now. I think it is time for me to stop trying to force it. Gaming is just not my thing anymore.

After work if I play for 30 minutes or 1 hour, it will help me stay mentally alert and awake to complete some house chores after. If I don't, then I will want to fall asleep on the couch.

So this is a nice thing I discovered about games.

The right game can still be an escape for me even if I'm getting up there in age. Work and stress all week and then sit down to something that doesn't really matter is relaxing

The part I don't like is that games feel disposable to me more than they did in the past. There's always something new coming up around the corner that everyone's gonna move to so I find myself always trying something else because of fomo. I rarely give titles the time they deserve. I think the battlefields gave me this fear

Only single player. This year I played Borderlands, Doom, Plague tale of innocence, Watchdogs, Outerworlds, Gear5, Assassin Creed V, FC6. I get a lot out of working through the story, stealth play style, and solving puzzles. I only do xbox and don't enjoy overly complicated controller sequences to progress.

The right game can still be an escape for me even if I'm getting up there in age. Work and stress all week and then sit down to something that doesn't really matter is relaxing

The part I don't like is that games feel disposable to me more than they did in the past. There's always something new coming up around the corner that everyone's gonna move to so I find myself always trying something else because of fomo. I rarely give titles the time they deserve. I think the battlefields gave me this fear
As a adult you pretty much have access to any game out there. When you were a kid you cherish every game you got cause they were few and far I'm between for most kids. I had access to pretty much everything when I was a kid for maybe why I feel the way about gaming that I do. I pretty much played everything over past 34 years. I proabably beaten over 1000 games easily in my time.

Severely into MSFS VR, but because of that I can play any game out there with excessive settings turned all the way up in pancake mode. Love flying around, but I also just finished Halo:Infinite Although the Boss monologues and some of the cutscenes were over the top. I really enjoyed it. Other than that, Minecraft Dungeons with the grandkids.

I really felt this. As I get older finding a game to REALLY grab my attention is insanely rare. Also I find myself looking at Indies more lately because these multi-hour AAA titles I just don't really have the time for anymore.

Also being an adult now I feel like I am spoiled for choice and I buy so MANY games I NEVER know what I want to play.

Back