How much do rj45 couplers slow data?

DarkDubzs

Limp Gawd
I will be connecting a 50' Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cable with a 15' long cable to reach to add an AP. So, to do this, ill need one of these little Cat5 couplers. Im sure it will lower some speed of the data traveling through these cables and the coupler, but how much? That is, if it loses any speed at all? My current internet speed is a wimpy 2Mbps, if that helps.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

PS. I will be connecting my main router to another router in a different room to add an AP.

If you are talking about internet speed it won't slow it down at all at 2Mb/s. It COULD slow down transfer speeds between PC's on the same network but probably not enough to notice unless you measured it.

None at all even at 1Gb on a short run if the runs decent and no stress is put on the wire in and out of the coupler and the wires are properly crimped.
Why they are not recommended is it is another point of failure.
Do not have the coupler hanging on the line, it must be supported.

Every coupler, patch panel, etc. between a run introduce signal loss/impairment and it can worsen with the quality of the part. Without a network cable certifier you won't be able to know in advance so either try and monitor for reliability or play it safe with a longer single patch cable.

A coupler is no worse than a patch panel and jack and millions of connection use them with no ill effects.
There is no such thing as a perfect run in the real world which is why it is designed with some noise tolerance in mind.

Worrying about a coupler as long as it is secured and decent quality reminds me of a guy that did not use patch panels because they degraded the signal but ran all the network cables right next to fluorescent light ballasts.
We had to rewire the entire network for the client.
That said I avoid them when I can just because it is something else that can go wrong but don't loose sleep over it when I have to use them.

Thanks for the replies and help, everyone. So basically, I shouldn't worry about it?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Do not have the coupler hanging on the line, it must be supported.
What do you mean by that? Like literally hanging with nothing holding up the coupler? There wont be any stress on the coupler other than gravity on itself. Itll all be running along a wall with cable clips along the way.

Thanks for the replies and help, everyone. So basically, I shouldn't worry about it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

What do you mean by that? Like literally hanging with nothing holding up the coupler? There wont be any stress on the coupler other than gravity on itself. Itll all be running along a wall with cable clips along the way.
You don't want any weight hanging or tension on crimp connectors. That is what gives couplers a bad name. The must be solidly mounted with no tension on the cables on each side.
You can use zip ties and those fasteners to hold it and the cables so there is no tension on the connectors if you can not mount it to a horizontal surface.

Back