How much difference of 24 ohm vs. 64 ohm makes on a portable CD player

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I am thinking of get a new headphone, natural wood construction. My current headphone is 24 ohm, a Sony MDR-V900.

I have also use the Sony MDR-V600, which is 45 ohm, on the same portable CD player.

In either case, I can't tell a difference in sound quality. But people did tell me that the lower the impedance, the better it is for the battery to push good CD sound quality.

The current headphone I have in mind is 64 ohm. Would a regular portable CD player or Hi MD player be able to push good Cd quality sound on a head phone of 64 ohm ?

You will probably not be able to notice any difference in sound quality from the change in impedance alone. Everything else equal, you may be able to notice a difference in sound volume, particularly with regard to lower (bass) frequencies.

I have a pair of DT770 PRO headphones which are 80 ohm and the sound quality is great, even when listening on mobile devices which don't put out a lot of power. For comparison, I also have a pair of ATH-AD700 headphones which are 32 ohm. With the same volume settings, the 32 ohm headphones are noticeably louder, but I wouldn't same the sound quality is any "better."

As far as sound quality goes, the quality of the headphones will have a greater impact than the impedance.

what a coincidence. I spent 9 hr. on digging out a new pair of speaker, and it is Audio Technica as well. But because I need it to be portable, I pick the ATH-ESW9a. Some people said wood headphone gives natural sound.

Back