how much difference is there from one TN to another?

MrWizard6600

Supreme [H]ardness
So like so many I'm trying to put an eyefinity setup together for myself using my existing monitor, but thanks to the DP requirement that's difficult.

Dell.ca has a deal on their G22" monitor: $80 off for $199. Problem is it doesn't have display port. I've already got an ancient Dell E228, and I was thinking about putting two of these things side-by-side with it but then of course I realized I'd have to pickup one of these things too, and then there's the fact that 5850 pricing right now is by no means competitive.

There's little doubt in my mind that the GTX 460/465 is going to force ATI to bring down their 5850 by a little bit, or at least it will bring supply up to demand and we'll stop seeing these cards floating over their MSRP's. (They've been floating for some time now, for god's sake Nvidia when you're done in there please have the courtesy to flush :p). So ideally I'd like to wait for mid june.

So what I'd like to do is pick up one of those G22s and leave it at that for now (I'm taking some courses in data basing and at this point its become impossible to work with an IDE, firefox, mySQL, and my program window all open in 1600X1000 pixels worth of real estate, doubling it might not even be enough, but tripling it :cool:). I'd pick up an eyefinity ready graphics card and DP ready monitor later. The only thing I'm worried about is consistency. I went with an E22 to begin with; I'm used to back light bleed that practically spans the whole screen and a green tint that seems to apply to everything if I boost gamma levels to acceptable ones, so I'm no picture quality fanatic, but I do want reasonably consistent luminosity and colour across all three monitors.

I'd like to hear what you guys think of that plan.

I'm also worried about Dell (--and anyone else, its just dell seems to have the cheapest 22" monitors) obsoleting their 1680X1050 TN 22" lineup because of the relavitvely cheap availability of the 1920X1080 TN and IPS panels, which would leave me high n' dry. Any chance that's going to happen?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why you are intent on purchasing that particular monitor? You can also purchase the U2211H or U2311H at a 20% discount, as mentioned here. It will cost you more but then again you'll be getting more for your money, too. Both the U2211H and the U2311H also have DisplayPort. I don't think you really should worry much about consistency across your displays, at least not to the point where you are purposely buying an inferior product to compensate.

as mentioned i've already got an E228. I'm not buying three monitors I'm buying two.

Furthermore I wouldn't have the desk real-estate on 3 23"+ anyways.

And I'm already over budget.

Back