How much can I expect a iPhone 8 to depreciate over 2 years?

IsaacMM

Gawd
I've seen some figures on the internet which claim Apple phones usually depreciate 50% of their value after one year. When they say that, do they mean the price for a new phone drops to 50% after one year from release or that a used phone is 50% of it's new price after one year?

Also, I was thinking about getting a Iphone 8. I Found a really good deal for it for 440 dollars, brand new, sealed. They are going on Ebay for 800 dollars.I was thinking how much should I expect to sell it for after 2 years?

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
Who cares? At that price just buy it and flip it.

2. if you care about actually having and using a device, and you want it new, depreciation should be the least of your concerns. If you don’t want to eat depreciation, then buy nothing. If you want to eat less appreciation, buy used.

If you want to know historical trends on phones, just look at eBay on phones that are two years old and grab averages. Or swappa. Take your pick.

IsaacMM

Gawd
Who cares? At that price just buy it and flip it.

2. if you care about actually having and using a device, and you want it new, depreciation should be the least of your concerns. If you don’t want to eat depreciation, then buy nothing. If you want to eat less appreciation, buy used.

If you want to know historical trends on phones, just look at eBay on phones that are two years old and grab averages. Or swappa. Take your pick.

Knowing how it would depreciate would help me decide whether I should flip it or keep it. If for example I could sell it in 2 years also for 440 dollars, I'd be inclined to keep it, as it would be pretty much free.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
Knowing how it would depreciate would help me decide whether I should flip it or keep it. If for example I could sell it in 2 years also for 440 dollars, I'd be inclined to keep it, as it would be pretty much free.

Look up 6s’. But there is literally no guarantee on trends. In 2 years, people may not care at all about non-iPhone x like phones. We can’t factor in other variables that affect depreciation. No matter what it’s a gamble.

Phones are not investments.

If you want my opinion, I think you’ll land right side up. But considering that everyone more or less has to have a smartphone to live at this point, getting a heavily discounted phone, especially one you want already, is probably a good enough deal even not considering resale value.

Last edited:

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
So I just asked my wife who's been on iphones since the 4, upgrading regularly.

What she said is that on average, you'll lose about $200 msrp per year. So the $800 phone will be worth around $400 in 2 years. And she gave the 6 as an example--it was $800 2 years ago and is now at the $400 mark or lower. Hope this helps!

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently sold a 6S 64GB (2 years old) for $475 and a 7 Plus 256GB (1 year old) for $730. They hold their value pretty fairly in my opinion.

robvas

Gawd
Recently sold a 6S 64GB (2 years old) for $475 and a 7 Plus 256GB (1 year old) for $730. They hold their value pretty fairly in my opinion.
How the heck? I was looking to sell mine and I saw you can buy a 64GB 6S on gazelle for $259

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
How the heck? I was looking to sell mine and I saw you can buy a 64GB 6S on gazelle for $259
This was before the X came out and shortly after the 8's came out. So maybe not recently now that I think about it...about 6 months ago. Time flies.

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
All this life advice but yet only one person actually answers the OPs question.

I agree, roughly $200 a year, but the variable is the X.

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
...but the variable is the X.
With X being whatever new phone is coming out. If the cycle is shorter, it will depreciate even faster. If the new product cycle is longer, it will depreciate slower.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
All this life advice but yet only one person actually answers the OPs question.

I agree, roughly $200 a year, but the variable is the X.

I did. But this is a question built on 100% speculation. Any answer anyone gives in 2 years could be wrong. I think it’s far better to give a complete answer that states the risks involved and also emphasizes what you’re getting (a phone and not any form of investment).

SamirD

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, my wife has observed this value drop over several generations of the phone from 4 to the current X. If history is an indicator, and since the phones do have a known release schedule now, I think this is a pretty reliable guess.

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
Well, my wife has observed this value drop over several generations of the phone from 4 to the current X. If history is an indicator, and since the phones do have a known release schedule now, I think this is a pretty reliable guess.

This person answered the question.

OP asks for depreciation value, people chime in with phones aren’t investments. I think he knows that by the way he worded the question. Then again he posted it in [H], so everyone has to tell him some sort of life advice.

Any rate I’m sticking by my rough prediction on $200 a year depreciation.

dvsman

2[H]4U
OP, Is it the top model (max storage) or the base model? The more storage, the better the resale down the road.

I haven't used an apple phone in a while but I thought the X (10) was a special anniversary edition and the 8 was the actual phone of the year. But yeah if Apple keeps putting out special editions or whatever that would definitely hurt the regular lower end phones.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
This person answered the question.

OP asks for depreciation value, people chime in with phones aren’t investments. I think he knows that by the way he worded the question. Then again he posted it in [H], so everyone has to tell him some sort of life advice.

Any rate I’m sticking by my rough prediction on $200 a year depreciation.

I stated my opinion which is likely that he would be right side up on it. And no, saying what we’re saying isn’t “life advice” it’s a complete answer. If we just genie it up and say “yes” or “no” without explaining the answer, 2 years down the road all we’d get is an earful of complaints.

So if “life advice” is hey, “this is the risks” and “think for yourself” rather than have anyone on some forum tell you the future: then I guess I accept your assessment. I’d say however that’s a really poor synopsis of what this is. But in the future, if it helps you, I’ll make sure any time you ask a question I’ll just give a yes or no or less than 5 word response with no explanation behind the thought process.

OP, Is it the top model (max storage) or the base model? The more storage, the better the resale down the road.

I haven't used an apple phone in a while but I thought the X (10) was a special anniversary edition and the 8 was the actual phone of the year. But yeah if Apple keeps putting out special editions or whatever that would definitely hurt the regular lower end phones.

The X is the future. The current projection is that next year there will be 3x iPhone X like phones replacing Apples entire top end line up.

There will be a X variant, a X+ variant. And one in the middle in terms of size that will be LCD based instead of OLED based rather than having another phone with a home button. The LCD variant will be the lower costed phone. Much like the 8 is this year.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/07/iphone-x-smaller-notch-2018-no-notch-2019/amp/

That’s just an extension of rumors from “Kuo” I think his name is. An industry insider that has tended to be correct with things Apple does. With the rumor mentioned in this article about the notches on top of the next iPhone lineup being all like the iPhone X.

Edit: grammar. Clarity.

Last edited:

Stugots

Supreme [H]ardness
I personally don't think the depreciation trends will be broken by the iPhone8/X. From my experience the phones lose 50-60% of their value in 2 years. I bought my current iPhone 6 with the intention to use it until it's not supported anymore, or until it breaks.

Already had the battery in it replaced once, thinking I will probably need to have it replaced at least one more time before I get another one.

Last edited: