How much bottleneck will I get if I just upgrade the video card on my old computer?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
I have a intel dp55kg motherboard with a old i7 processor that I won by a random drawing.

if I get a new gfx card like the 1080ti when stock are available how much of a drag will the motherboard do?

it is a pci express 2 and also ram is ddr 3.

It depends largely on what games you're playing at what resolution.

It also depends on which CPU you're using and at what frequency you're running at.

It depends largely on what games you're playing at what resolution.

It also depends on which CPU you're using and at what frequency you're running at.
Not sure what the numbers are, but it should be quite playable.
My i5/2500K is doing great with a 1080.

Not sure what the numbers are, but it should be quite playable.
My i5/2500K is doing great with a 1080.

With that board, I think the fastest CPU possible was an i7-875k, so it's a bit slower. I'm not saying you couldn't find "playable" settings, but it's going to vary quite a bit from game to game and depending on resolution.

With that board, I think the fastest CPU possible was an i7-875k, so it's a bit slower. I'm not saying you couldn't find "playable" settings, but it's going to vary quite a bit from game to game and depending on resolution.
That's a good point. OP would probably be better off getting a geforce 1060 as a better match for an older board and processor like that. It should be fine for 1080p gaming.

If you did get a 1080ti, I'd get it with an eye to upgrading the rest of the computer shortly. It's also possible you'll come across some bios issues trying to get a brand new video card working on such an old motherboard.

I don't think those lynnfield i7s were much better than the core2quad they replaced, there may even be a bigger gap between them and Sandy bridge than Sandy and Kaby Lake. That said a 1080ti is gonna be starved by that setup. Split the cost and get a new mb/proc/ram and a 1060. You'll see way better fps averages and higher minimums than with lynnfield/1080ti.

Back