How much are we close a Ready Player One technology?

John117-

n00b
In this topic I would examine the actual technologies and I'll explore the future tech hardware for reach Ready Player One.

Now, we have technologies like standalone headset with hand tracking and almost 4K resolution for eye. The SoC isn't ready for elevate high end performance like X86 for PCVR.

In some thread I expressed my opinion about PCVR vs Standalone, it's not this the topic for explore this discussion.

So, the hardware like haptic gloves there's not in consumer market today. We have some solution like HaptX but they focus on Business market. Hand Tracking is beautiful but haptic gloves is the best experience for the VR technology. You imagine to shot with a spartan assault rifle with haptic gloves, it would be cool. You can to hear the object with the haptic gloves, I hope to see some solution for consumer market within 2025.

let's move on to omnidirectional platforms, I love products like Infina Deck. This startup has one of the best product ever exist for omnidirectional. They're working for consumer version. There're of the problems, for example: space, price. There's some solution like KAT C VR. However isn't close at RPO technology for the movement.
One solution could be the BCI, but I think that BCI is very hard to developing for get freedom movement. BCI is far way. FRL Labs, Valve are working about this technology, there's much work.

Let's move about HMD, the state of art for consumer market is mixed across some hmd. We should have headset like Quest 2 because is standalone, more power, I mean much much more power inside standalone device. I'm not sure that CLOUD can resolve this problem. For the latency. There's needs of technologies like Eye Tracking, FR, MicroLED for Display, FOV 220, minimum 8K/16K for eye. PCVR could reach RPO before than standalone segment. Obviously for the the mass market, they can't developing hmd more heavy and bigger. This is very important for the mass market, seriously.

Now let's talk about Full Body Tracking or haptic Suit. The FBD is very important for the future of the metaverse, because import my body in the virtual reality would be cool. External hardware like Lighthouse are interesting but we needs more accurate reproduction and more"plug and play". Facebook could use Facebook Portal for Full Body Tracking of Quest segment. One solution could be a haptic suit like Tesla Suit. We could use it for scan our body and for hear the movement and whatever in the games, business or entertinment.

For the software I think that a social metaverse is very close when we will have the technologie hardware and avatar more realistic or more detail. Avatar is a very important in my opinion, because I don't like style cartoon. Realistic Avatar or high end like CODEC Avatar by FRL research.

So, In my opinion we're not close at Ready Player One or Matrix, excuse me Gabe, but I think that your affermation is wrong. There's much work do, we needs of years for reach the best solution

Let me know your opinion

I kinda agree but also disagree. I mean, as far as VR technology goes we are very close and capable of building those devices like the haptic gloves, treadmills etc... Why they are still janky and why do not have wider consumer adaptation is that for basic gaming you really do not need them. Basic technology and the rest are engineering problems that would get better in quick succession if there would be wider market for them.

Biggest problem is the Oasis itself, that would be nightmare to code and the power requirements would be it astronomical if it were to work as it is described in the book. Even if it works in a Cloud (honestly it is the only way it could work) with huge ass powerful servers. Now some of the load could be offloaded to the VR devices itself but then you probably get even worse latency issues. BUT if someone were to pull this off there would be much more focus on designing the consumer VR peripherals like gloves and haptics as there would be bigger market for them. There is more money to be made and therefore more money is spent in engineering them to be better and better.

I have nothing to add, but this

And to agree Ready Player One is a cool concept, but it is decades away for implementation, and frankly I’m not sure that type of escapism is good for humanity. (Just as it is portrayed in the movie - humans live in slums without motivation or ability to secure a better life for themselves in the real physical world.)

The technology is there now hardware wise (you listed it all), it's just prohibitively expensive. The software is nowhere near there now - things like MSFS are showing the potential to create a world for a single domain, and games like RDR/GTA/Cyberpunk show it for a small geo location, but nobody has done any kind of software at the necessary scope (would likely require user contributions) to get close. Given all the hardware is there, I'd say 10-15 years before it becomes somewhat affordable and software can catch up.

Now some of the load could be offloaded to the VR devices itself but then you probably get even worse latency issues.
Wouldn't it be streaming world data to the headset, then the headset itself doing all the rendering/processing locally? The worse thing is texture/object "pop-in" as that data becomes available, that shouldn't interupt things as far as frame-rate/latency though

Wouldn't it be streaming world data to the headset, then the headset itself doing all the rendering/processing locally? The worse thing is texture/object "pop-in" as that data becomes available, that shouldn't interupt things as far as frame-rate/latency though
I don't know about wireless, but the technology to change locations fairly fast is there. For all its failings, Star Citizen has demostrated that it can be done.

I personally don't see wireless VR headsets being that feasible at this stage in the game. In order to handle the stuff you guys are talking about, they'd have to be too heavy, or the streaming speed via bluetooth or something isn't high enough.

I kinda doubt streaming "video" to a headset is ever going to be a long-term solution, it's just a compromise we're dealing with now. same with offloading battery/processing to a tethered unit you slip into your pocket to avoid bulky/heavy headset, which I'm a little surprised we don't see more of at this moment.

I kinda doubt streaming "video" to a headset is ever going to be a long-term solution, it's just a compromise we're dealing with now. same with offloading battery/processing to a tethered unit you slip into your pocket to avoid bulky/heavy headset, which I'm a little surprised we don't see more of at this moment.
HTC Vive Flow seems to fall in that category. It has to start somewhere except Vive may just not have the resources to make it successful.

Back