How many times have you used your apple care?

godofdeath

Gawd
Hey I just wanna see how many times you used your apple care since you got your apple product.

Me its:
1) hard drive got stupid wouldn't boot
2) fixed the cracks on macbook
3) hard drive died on me got a free 160gb replacement upgrade from 80gb
4) fixed cracks once again

in a week or two 5) fix cracks on macbook once again :eek::eek::eek: lol

Is this a white macbook? I remember the old iBooks were horrible when it came to cracks. Acrylic/clear plastic is a horrible material to make a laptop out of.

Not so much apple care as much as simply a free repair. Replaced the Battery that had damn near no capacity left in my MacBook Pro.

I believe I've used mine to replace the following:

1. Optical drive
2. Logic Board
3. Battery
4. Optical drive
5. Keyboard
6. Battery again as of 1/5/10

The trick to battery replacement is the number of charge cycles. If it is below 300 and your battery doesn't hold a charge very well, Apple will consider it a defective part and swap it out. They even have a quick little test for this.

Last edited:
mid 2007 macbook bought brand new with 1 year warranty

1. optical drive died after 6 months
2. logic board died 2 months later
3. hard drive failed 1 month after 1 year warranty over.
4. palm rest crack

hmmm my battery seems fine after 2 years of use. Still holds a good 4+ hours just surfing the web w/o watching vids

Never.

I've had a Quicksilver G4, Dual 1.8 G5, MacBook, and my current MacBook Pro.

Although the MacBook has a dead optical drive now out of warranrty.

Dropped iphone on the ground when i was hammered and the screen no longer turned on.

They replaced it though.

black macbook from 2006:

twice for the CD drive
once for cracked palm rests
once for busted airport card

after 3 years....i suppose it was worth it. no more warranty now.... :(

how do you get them to replace the battery?

Took mine in a couple years ago and showed them all fast the battery health had died. Was getting an hour max on a two-month Macbook. Apple rep replaced it, albeit the guy didn't really want to do it all that much...

But I didn't buy it, so... I guess I could have gotten a new battery, but TBH, 2.5 years is pretty good.

Bought it in July....twice so far.

Replace an ailing trackpad and a screen that had an odd fading discoloration on it

bahhh my battey doesnt die out lol
using istat it shows health still at 100%
i guess i dont use it that much lol

White MacBook bought in August 2007

Faulty battery
Faulty power supply
Dead Hard Drive
Cracks on palm rest (twice... soon to be three)

On my 13" Core Duo Black MB:

1. Optical drive failed
2. When shipped back to me they had replaced the RAM, HDD, and whole mobo, none of which were the issue, and were in fact my own upgraded components... so they took my 2GB kit and my 160GB 7200RPM drive and the 802.11n adapter I had installed, also the trackpad made a metallic clicking sound so they replaced machine with Core 2 Duo based MB w/ fresh AppleCare as an apology.

On my 13" Core 2 Duo MB

1. Complained about issue where screen is marked by where it closes next to the end of the keyboard, and at the same time was dealing with an issue with my girlfriends MB where they basically dropped it and lied about it and I called them out so they replaced both of our machines with new 13" Unibody Late 2008 MB's, the high end ones with the backlit keyboard all as an apology for lying to us about it, haven't been back to that store since.

Took that machine and paid the difference to a guy on craigslist toward this Late 2008 15" Unibody MBP base model I have now.

On my 15" Unibody Late 2008 MBP:

1. Machine dented when I picked it up with one hand with my thumb over the ethernet jack, they replaced the whole top case (kb/trackpad/body) as well as the whole screen assembly as the black plastic portion on the hinge made a weird clicking sound because of this.
2. Screen replaced in above repair had a dead pixel right in the center, they replaced it with a new one in store in a couple of hours.

On my iPhone 2G:

1. Phone developed "bubbles" under the screen and they replaced the whole phone.

On my iPhone 3G:

1. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
2. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
3. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
4. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
5. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
6. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
7. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.
8. Phone casing cracked with normal use, replaced whole phone.

On my iPhone 3GS

1. Portion of screen stopped responding. New Screen done in store in a few minutes.

I keep this as a text file to keep track of it all with all the emails with the info for it all.

Yeah, they had a bunch of bad batteries. Called them up, showed them that in under 50 cycles on it it had lost 70% of it's charge capacity and had a new battery overnighted with a return label for the old one.

On my iPhone 3G:

o_O

On my 13" Core Duo Black MB:

1. Optical drive failed
2. When shipped back to me they had replaced the RAM, HDD, and whole mobo, none of which were the issue, and were in fact my own upgraded components... so they took my 2GB kit and my 160GB 7200RPM drive and the 802.11n adapter I had installed, also the trackpad made a metallic clicking sound so they replaced machine with Core 2 Duo based MB w/ fresh AppleCare as an apology.

On my 13" Core 2 Duo MB

1. Complained about issue where screen is marked by where it closes next to the end of the keyboard, and at the same time was dealing with an issue with my girlfriends MB where they basically dropped it and lied about it and I called them out so they replaced both of our machines with new 13" Unibody Late 2008 MB's, the high end ones with the backlit keyboard all as an apology for lying to us about it, haven't been back to that store since.

Took that machine and paid the difference to a guy on craigslist toward this Late 2008 15" Unibody MBP base model I have now.

On my 15" Unibody Late 2008 MBP:

1. Machine dented when I picked it up with one hand with my thumb over the ethernet jack, they replaced the whole top case (kb/trackpad/body) as well as the whole screen assembly as the black plastic portion on the hinge made a weird clicking sound because of this.
2. Screen replaced in above repair had a dead pixel right in the center, they replaced it with a new one in store in a couple of hours.

On my iPhone 2G:

1. Phone developed "bubbles" under the screen and they replaced the whole phone.

On my iPhone 3G:

On my iPhone 3GS

1. Portion of screen stopped responding. New Screen done in store in a few minutes.

I keep this as a text file to keep track of it all with all the emails with the info for it all.

I thought i had problems with my macbook... jeebs... thats some hassle... they should just give you a macbook for free for all that trouble

I thought i had problems with my macbook... jeebs... thats some hassle... they should just give you a macbook for free for all that trouble

They did, twice.

That's the difference though, Apple really does go out of their way to make it right, and they will stop at nothing to make you happy, both replacements came with fresh AppleCare and new accessories for whatever I had that wouldn't work, they even gave me the new VGA/DVI adapters and an extra power brick and battery over the years for the new machines, they know it costs them a lot less to keep a customer than to lose one as word of mouth and positive outcomes are the strongest form of advertisement they could ever have.

Yeah, I know, 3G was made of the worst plastic EVER, cracked just looking at it wrong, of course Apple replaced these as if they were the value of a stick of gum just because it was easier for them to give me a new one and get me out of the store than to hold me for a repair or something, thank god for AppleCare.

They did, twice.

That's the difference though, Apple really does go out of their way to make it right, and they will stop at nothing to make you happy, both replacements came with fresh AppleCare and new accessories for whatever I had that wouldn't work, they even gave me the new VGA/DVI adapters and an extra power brick and battery over the years for the new machines, they know it costs them a lot less to keep a customer than to lose one as word of mouth and positive outcomes are the strongest form of advertisement they could ever have.

Yeah, I know, 3G was made of the worst plastic EVER, cracked just looking at it wrong, of course Apple replaced these as if they were the value of a stick of gum just because it was easier for them to give me a new one and get me out of the store than to hold me for a repair or something, thank god for AppleCare.

lol i shall go get a busted iphone and go get it repaired

Never.

I've had a Quicksilver G4, Dual 1.8 G5, MacBook, and my current MacBook Pro.

Although the MacBook has a dead optical drive now out of warranrty.

Looks like I'll be using Applecare for the first time. One of the fans on my MacBook Pro decided to start making the grinding noise.

1. Replaced the logic board on my MacBook Pro (bum NVidia 8600M GT) out of warranty.

On my 13" MBP

I had a screen replacement for a discoloration spot and another screen replacement because that is the only way to fix a creaking hinge.

I've never bought AppleCare because, frankly, if it dies outside of the normal 1yr warranty I'll just fix it myself (might be more, might be less). But after reading all these testimonials, I may start paying for it. I've had pretty good luck with my Apple hardware, though.

As I tell people who bitch about Apple pricing (usually) out of ignorance, you're not just paying for the hardware. You're paying for excellent phone and email support, too.

ugh
went to apple store
tried to replace my bottom case for the macbook, they said it's not covered because it was a pressure break or something WTF?!?!?!?!?!?

A blackbook's HDD was replaced

I've had my time capsule replaced twice under my macs' applecare for HDD issues.

One time for my late-2005 PowerMac G5. About a week before my warranty expired the Airport card quit working, so I had it replaced.
A few weeks ago my wireless keyboard(white,clear plastic model) randomly gave up the ghost. It was working in the morning, wouldn't turn on in the evening. Batteries were fairly new, but I swapped in new ones, nothing. Cleaned it out, nothing. I looked online and it seems to be a common problem. $69 for a new wireless keyboard that doesn't even have a numeric keypad anymore, so I'm just using a USB keyboard from one of my PC's now.

I must be lucky. I've own so many Apple products, but never had to send them into warranty. Kinda glad I waited until the second to the last month of warranty to even consider Applecare. If anything, the warranty is probably good for battery replacement, but I don't really keep (or use) products for more than two years.

Products I've own:
iPod 3G 20gb
iPod Shuffle 1G
iPod Shuffle 2G
iPod Mini
iPod Nano 1G
iPod Nano 2G
iPod Nano 3G
iPod Video
iPhone 2.5G
12" G4 Powerbook
First generation MacBook
iMac Core 17"
iMac Core 20"

I have never had Apple Care, and never needed it. Any issue I ever had with my Apple products are usualy within the first day or so, and warranted an immediate exchange to get a new product.

However, my new $7000 Mac Pro I will be buying when they go to the 6-Core i7's here shortly will be accompinaed by some Apple Care :D

I've been lucky. Been waiting for 1.8dp g5 to die so I can mod it. It's been going strong for the last five years I think. Upgraded the usual stuff as time progressed. Ram, HD, and video card.

First time for both the cracks on the back and a track-pad button issue. ( they just replaced the whole keyboard)
Second time because they misaligned the bottom portion of the case and the rubber feet would wobble when I typed. Very annoying. The "genius" said it was the first time he had seen or heard of that, lucky me. So he gave me a free battery replacement. I gave him the idea because I said that maybe it was an uneven amount of ware on my battery vs the fresh new rubber feet on my case. Didn't fix it though. But still, free new battery.

Video card in 24" iMac which wouldve cost $600 according to the invoice had it not been for Applecare.

Last edited:
Back