How many times a week do you receive a Blue Screen Of Death?

adri1456

Gawd
I swear, I receive so many BSODs lately, it isn't even funny. So far, I had 4 BSODs this week (one from today, one yesterday, and 2 earlier this week).

I guess my computer doesn't want to be on my shelf (where the wind makes my temps go down a bit), so to keep it happy, I'll bring it down tomorrow (I have it scheduled for its first clean up this year anyway, so I might as well make it easier on myself).

If that doesn't make it happy, then I'm changing its mobo.

-1 irrelevant. I run linux, the last time I crashed was...

June 2004.

If you can answer that question you have a problem. I go months without seeing a blue screen. You might want check out your rig for viruses or spyware. Maybe even a clogged with dirt heatsink or something.

My 4 machines (3 xp, 1 2003) I honestly cant remember the last BSOD's I had. Last time I had 'em was when my old server died. various different ones making it difficult to pin the problem down, ended up being the mobo was toast.

I got one a few months back when running some pre-release code on my Xbox.
I've also had a couple about 16 months ago running an early build of x64 Windows.

In released code?

I used to get them all the time on my old home system (3 years ago), and eventually tracked it to some bad RAM in the system; I've never order generic RAM off of pricewatch since.
I also had two friends' system BSOD for a bit (one system 3 years ago, the other 1 year ago), both were traced to the nVidia drivers for their video cards and fixed with updated drivers.

In short, ya, I've seen them. Each I've seen in a released product was due to either hardware failure or drivers.

So my advice? Trade out some hardware, switch drivers around...
If the BSODs are happening frequently, change one thing at a time to try and isolate the source.

I haven't seen a BSOD (on my own box) since I swtiched to XP. Crashes and lockups have also been minimal, unless I'm pushing my overclock. Can't quite hit 200x11. :p

In my experience, XP has been a very stable OS. I had my box on for 40 days straight, and could have gone longer. I know that Linux boxes can go years without a reboot, but back when I ran Win98, I'd have to restart at least once a day, or so.

In XP, once when I was was pushing my overclock. Other than that, I can't remember the last time.....unless we go back to 98. *shudder*

I saw one about 6 months ago after I uninstalled NOD32 without quitting the program first. Dumb of me, but not a Windows problem.

Cheers.

My PC's at home are incredibly stable and I never get BSOD's. The last time I got one it was a legitimate problem as my hard drive was starting to fail.
I run linux, the last time I crashed was...
Oh linux crashes. In fact I currently have employment strictly because the linux servers where I work tend to crash so much they needed someone there to reboot them. The employees won't even use linux boxes on their desks, most people use Windows and I use my leet MAC.
Inconsistency check; run fsck MANUALLY.

Hardly ever. The last time I had one was due to a corrupted video driver, but I can't remember when I have had one.

Never once I find my stable overclock.

I have two XP boxes running 24/7, one of em for years now. It has stayed up for months between reboots.

One or two after XP didn't like working with older CD-RW drivers, but that was back when XP was just released.

I just don't get them anymore.

OldMX said:
whats a BSOD :(

Blue Screen of Death

bsod.sized.jpg

Never.

Have you bothered to check the memory dump that your blue screens are giving you? Chances are the issue is track-able.

I don't think I've ever had one. Maybe once or twice booting up, but it was because I set my timings too low on my mem.

SuperSubZero said:
Oh linux crashes. In fact I currently have employment strictly because the linux servers where I work tend to crash so much they needed someone there to reboot them. The employees won't even use linux boxes on their desks, most people use Windows and I use my leet MAC.
Inconsistency check; run fsck MANUALLY.
I know that Linux _can_ crash, I'm just saying it's usually one program causing it, or some bad hardware. I used to kill it all the time, and then I ran thru memtest and realized why.

Or there's the time I accidentally turned on swapping on my root partition instead of swap... that was bad.

But my point is that if you administrate it right, it doesn't crash. Not trying to kill off your employment, but what is it that keeps killing them? If you find out, you can always set up a cron job with a fork bomb to keep the employment coming...

unhappy_mage said:
I know that Linux _can_ crash, I'm just saying it's usually one program causing it, or some bad hardware. I used to kill it all the time, and then I ran thru memtest and realized why.

Or there's the time I accidentally turned on swapping on my root partition instead of swap... that was bad.

But my point is that if you administrate it right, it doesn't crash. Not trying to kill off your employment, but what is it that keeps killing them? If you find out, you can always set up a cron job with a fork bomb to keep the employment coming...
Um, most crashes in a Windows (XP/2k) environment comes from single programs or, surprise surprise, bad hardware. The only other way is 'misconfigurations' from the user, which can be anything from bad tweaks to overclocking.

In fact, also much like Linux, when a program crashes it doesn't bring down the whole OS most of the time. You kill the program when it locks and you are fine.

Never get it during the week or a month. MAYBE once a year if I do something stupid. I see it all the time on other peoples machines though because they're infested with virus's but it's an easy fix and they stop.

KevinO said:
Right clicked -> save as :)
same :p

i dont think ive had a BSOD since i found out my rosewell ram from newegg(refurbished) was bad. other than that and the win9x days, never.

None, though I have problems with a laptop occationally freezing when using the fast user switching. I've had my share of NTLDR issues as well, but those are traceable to me doing something unusual. (It's a picky little program, but it takes an external action to make it unhappy.)

I usually have a BSOD a day on my laptop. I know specifically that it is because of my Orinoco Wireless card, but regardless of using the current or previous drivers, I still have problems. Proxim support sucks @$$, so nothing I can do but save often.

Also, using Azureus sometimes...but that is probably deserved if you know what I mean... ;)

Without that card, my computer is rock solid.

How odd, then, that using an Orinoco card on my XP laptops has never yielded such problems. Sounds like a PEBKAC error to me.

i usually never see BSOD's, however i got 2 this week. 1 from trying to push my overclock higer and another one from my heatsink fan crapping out on me causing my comp to overheat badly :rolleyes:

Not very often at all. The last BSOD I got was when I tried to use the newest ATI drivers on my laptop using a driver hack. The game textures flashed a bit and then eventually the machine BSODED with an error related to the ATI drivers so I went back to my OMEGAs and everything has been find since.

Lord of Shadows said:
If you get one bsod you have a serious problem with your system.

And if you get a second one, it means you need to learn how to troubleshoot.

Lord of Shadows said:

A BSOD does not equate to a serious problem.

Drivers and flaky software can easily cause BSODs, but they are not serious problems. :rolleyes:

Never on XP...I tend to reboot the XP box in the house every couple of days anyway, though, as it seems to get slower over time. But yeah, XP is pretty hard to completely knock over, probably even with Linux nowadays (my own Linux box doesn't crash either).

djnes said:
Lord of Shadows said:
And if you get a second one, it means you need to learn how to troubleshoot.
And if you get a third one, you can call your machine the BSOD Genie!

SJConsultant said:
A BSOD does not equate to a serious problem.

Drivers and flaky software can easily cause BSODs, but they are not serious problems. :rolleyes:

So you consider a bsod on a once a week basis not a problem?

Lord of Shadows said:
So you consider a bsod on a once a week basis not a problem?

Once a week is different from once as you were quoted earlier.

How many times people get BSODs is a personal experience.
People getting BSODs once a week may be happy if its down from once a day, or with drivers that provide insane performance when working.

Last time i recall a BSOD was when I used the old Emachines comp that runs on Win 98 1st edition that is sitting out in the garage. I did get some crap on my A64 rig about 2 days before Christmas telling me about some big old error and how it was gonna dump the physical memory. I have no clue what the problem was, but a new HDD fixed that problem quickly, so I got a free Christmas gift (250gb HDD to replace my old 80gb HDD).

Back