How many tensor cores in current gen vid cards (assuming you could find one)?

x509

2[H]4U
My question is motivated by this except from an Adobe blog post announcing Super Resolution in Photoshop and Adobe Camera RAW:

If you’re in the market for a new computer or GPU, look for GPU models optimized for CoreML and Windows ML machine learning technologies. For example, the Neural Engine in the Apple M1 chip is highly tuned for CoreML performance. Similarly, the TensorCores in NVIDIA’s RTX series of GPUs run Windows ML very efficiently. The GPU landscape is changing quickly and I expect big performance improvements around the corner.

So when I checked the Nvidia 3000 series specs, I could not find anything on how many tensor cores in the different models.

Does the AMD 6000 series have tensor cores? (Not trolling here, I just don't know that much about GPU technology.)

I was thinking that for my Adobe software usage, maybe I should get a more powerful card than a 3060 Ti. Of course, with the current situation and me wanting to use the money to pay the mortgage instead of buying a card now, this may all be theoretical.

So when I checked the Nvidia 3000 series specs, I could not find anything on how many tensor cores in the different models.

Does the AMD 6000 series have tensor cores? (Not trolling here, I just don't know that much about GPU technology.)
According to TPU:
  • 3090 - 328 tensor cores
  • 3080 - 272 tensor cores
  • 3070 - 184 tensor cores
  • 3060 Ti - 152 tensor cores
  • 3060 - 112 tensor cores

No, AMD does not have "tensor cores". Tensor cores are Nvidia specific.

According to TPU:
  • 3090 - 328 tensor cores
  • 3080 - 272 tensor cores
  • 3070 - 184 tensor cores
  • 3060 Ti - 152 tensor cores
  • 3060 - 112 tensor cores

No, AMD does not have "tensor cores". Tensor cores are Nvidia specific.
Thank you. Rhetorical question: With all my google searching, why did I not find this information on my own? :confused:

Thank you. Rhetorical question: With all my google searching, why did I not find this information on my own? :confused:
You just didn't scroll down far enough to see the second link (TPU) :U

But besides that, they don't seem to advertise the Tensor and RT cores as openly as they did for the 2000 series. I think they just expect you to to go look at the architectural overview slides and figure out the total count based on cores per SM or something.

You just didn't scroll down far enough to see the second link (TPU) :U

But besides that, they don't seem to advertise the Tensor and RT cores as openly as they did for the 2000 series. I think they just expect you to to go look at the architectural overview slides and figure out the total count based on cores per SM or something.
I think it is because if people did a side by side comparison of the 30 series to the 20 series, they would think the 30 series having fewer tensor cores compared to the relative models in the 20 series would mean poorer performance. But if I recall correctly, the 30 series uses an updated and optimized tensor core package that allows them to perform better with fewer cores. Here is a quote from Toms Hardware that talks about the tensor cores on the RTX 3090:

There are also four 3rd gen tensor cores, each of which is four times the throughput per clock of the previous gen Turing tensor cores.

Here is another quote from them:
However, the tensor cores are 8x4x4, so performance per Ampere tensor core is only double that of Turing's tensor cores (and up to double again with sparsity).

And I believe there were some other improvements done as well. Yet if you look at just pure count, the 3090 has 328 tensor cores while a 2080Ti 544 tensor cores. Without knowing the above, it could appear misleading even though the 3090 will still perform better.

I think it is because if people did a side by side comparison of the 30 series to the 20 series, they would think the 30 series having fewer tensor cores compared to the relative models in the 20 series would mean poorer performance. But if I recall correctly, the 30 series uses an updated and optimized tensor core package that allows them to perform better with fewer cores. Here is a quote from Toms Hardware that talks about the tensor cores on the RTX 3090:

Here is another quote from them:

And I believe there were some other improvements done as well. Yet if you look at just pure count, the 3090 has 328 tensor cores while a 2080Ti 544 tensor cores. Without knowing the above, it could appear misleading even though the 3090 will still perform better.
Same goes for the RT Cores too. The 3000 series has the second generation RT cores; while the 2000 series has the first generation.

Same goes for the RT Cores too. The 3000 series has the second generation RT cores; while the 2000 series has the first generation.
Yes, but they still increased the RT cores over their predecessors.

The 3090 has 82 RT cores and the 3080 has 68 cores. Meanwhile, the 2080 Ti has 68 cores, the 2080 has 46 cores, and the 2080 Super has 48 cores. If we decide to include the Titan RTX, it only has 72 cores. So the 3080 has more cores than its predecessors the 2080 and 2080 Super while equaling the core count for the 2080 Ti. The 3090 has more cores than all of them. Then tack on the generational improvements to that as well.

Back