how many processes do you guys have running in task manager?

Nakamori

Gawd
I have 32 on XP professional. It seems really high, but my idle memory useage is at about 170 megs (i have speedfan and cpuz running at all times). What about you guys?

Nakamori said:
I have 32 on XP professional. It seems really high, but my idle memory useage is at about 170 megs (i have speedfan and cpuz running at all times). What about you guys?
XP Home

Usually between 38-41

ram.t.jpg

:cool:

WinXP Home

32 processes running at present, which is pretty high for me, I have a couple of Firefox windows open, Winamp and some other stuff. Commit charge is also unusually high, 266MB.

Anywhere between 30-40 processes is considered normal, it includes Windows services, driver services etc. As long as your commit charge isn't too high, you should be right.

w00t! I got the high score! 51 processes! We've got AIM, F@H, some Konfabulator widgets, MBM5, NAV, Post-It Notes, and then all the other crap. Wow.

Mind you, none of them are using any CPU time, just a little bit of RAM each. F@H is currently using 105M, firefox is using 41M, and everything else is using about 400M combined.

My page file is at a constant 542M, so I guess that's just the baseline. My computer doesn't ever seem to actually page anything. I guess it's possible that some of the drivers are paged or something, but my paltry 1GB of RAM seems to hold up nicely.

No, no critical services are stopped, and i've got XP MCE's "Playskool" theme still going, even an antivirus. I just get rid of the crap that isn't needed.

<sarcasm> as many as are needed at the time for whatever it is I'm doing and how many open applications I have running </Sarcasm> :D

I don't know the exact number but its somewhere in the high-20 range.

31 (30 not counting Task Manager) on my work computer. I'll check my rig when I get home.

Inc. task manager, Opera, ZoneAlarm (2), Nod32 (2) and my UPS. I've cut back on my svchosts ... only 3 of those running. :D

Commit charge @ 161mb.

Ehh, for me, 39 not including Firefox & task manager itself. But, I do employ certain amounts of eye candy...

Phoenix86 said:
STEP AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD!!!

:p

Heh.. It's what happens when your building the best of breed IT services firm in the area. ;)

ok I am down to 88 Processes with a commit charge of 690MB. Any better? :p

I have 60...including konfabulator (5 widgets open), MS Antispy, Spybot, Norton 05,, WindowVlinds, Yz Shadow, APC software, system services, etc etc etc.....my system runs without a hitch! :)

Gaming PC: 11 at bootup. Most services disabled.

Work related laptop: ~28 or so at bootup. Includes AVG (Free), Intel Centrino Hardware control, Touchpad tray icon, Dell Quickset, and a ton of services.

27 When my Computer boots up. Anything over that and I know something is wrong.

Anywhere from 27-34 when I am using it. Word/PSP/Dreamweaver/AIM/Games The usually.

gotkilled said:
haha...might I ask why? :)

For the same reason hity645 is...

That's way too many processes :)

What do you have running? Seriously, give us some kind of process list or something, that is a LOT!

I hate having anything that isnt required running or installed on my machines. It stems back from the early days of PC ownership where you needed as much of your 640k as possible and you only had 100mb hardrives. You had to keep a tight ship and I've never been able to shake these habits.

Obsessive behaviour? Maybe. :p

This thread is funny because we got one group of people that think its super kool to have as few processes running as possible, then we got the other side that think its cool to have a super high number of processes. I'll have to side with the people who have a lot of processes, those people who actually get some use out of their computers.

I have 29 processes, but I just reformatted, that number is sure to climb

I declare myself the winner.

root :: alloy # ps aux |wc -l
root :: quad # ps aux |wc -l
root :: asirae # ps aux |wc -l
root :: dococ # ps aux |wc -l

Hey, nobody said I couldn't use FreeBSD. ;)

abudhu said:
@ hity645: *Cries*
Also...PronNoMgr. <-- Lol. Smooth.
Pronomgr: Intel Ethernet .exe <-- Lol. Smooth.

:)

I think that up to around...40 max is what I see healthy, multitasking computers use. I may be wrong, though. If you've got a Quad Xeon setup, by all means run 80 :p

Back