How many people actually *use* Xfire?

Roufuss

Gawd
I have it, I boot it up when I start the PC, but it seems that I mostly just use it to record how long I play games... I've never really gotten anyone's Xfire name off a pub I've played on, or an RPG I've quested with them on, it just seems like something I open up simply out of force of habit at this point.

How many people actually use it as their messenger and frequently add people to it and game with them off of it?

Just curious the amount of people who use it on a daily basis other than simply having it open like I do, lol. All of my friends that I *did* have it haven't been on it in about 100 - 200 days, so blah.

I guess the point is I feel like I'm not using the program to it's full potential.

I have been using it for years.
I feel naked when it is not running on my PC.

ingame chat is great,
Voice chat is surprisingly well,
Screen Shots are very clear with high quality.
you can have sort of a Screen shot album of all captures you take gaming,
the new video record mode is amazing.
records any game at 30fps and saves it as an .avi file.
Ingame chat has a fps monitor.
It autmoatically downloads patches for the games installed on your PC
Allows you to view te server information on which your friends are gaming on.
1 click join. So you dont have to copy and paste the server IP when you boot a game.

You can organize your friends into different groups.
Like have have my clan group,
then my old friends group,
and local friends group.

definitely my favorite chat messengers.

What it sounds to me is that you dont have that many current friends.
I have about 30-40 people that I have been intouch with for > 2 years.

If you get alot of good friends you will find yourself using the program alot more. ;)

I use it as my main chat program with whoever I can. I MUCH prefer it to MSN (the only other chat application I use). Now if only Xfire Plus would release a version of the MSN plugin that actually worked...

I use it pretty regularly myself. Most of the folks on my list are folks I know personally. It's great for jumping into the same game with them. Will usually hook up via TeamSpeak though for voice chat.

I have used Xfire for years too. I have 400+ people on my list as I've been building it over the years and the main reason I use it is because I'm deaf, so I can communicate with 20 of my deaf friends while I'm playing a game. It's like talking on the phone, I guess.

In case anyone wants to add me - lanboy666

I used it and LOVED it for a long time, but about a year ago or so it started crashing the Source engines games. I'm sure that's been fixed since then, but I just don't game nearly as much as I used to then.

It's a good IM. I use it more than MSN because I like to avoid those inane quotes and unwanted updates on their lives people are so determined to throw at me in their display names.

That said, its a lot shitter than it used to be since they started trying to make Xfire cleverer than they can. When it was a simple play tracker/IM program, it was great, but with all this video recording and screenshot and voice chat shit they've managed to fuck up the things it's actually useful for; it takes a million billion jazillion bastard years for it to open a link you've been sent, for example. That, and it does make games crash a lot more than it used to, now. EXCFIRE EXCEPTION EXFIRE EXCEPTION EXCEPTION FIRE EXCFIRE CEPTION

I have been using it for years.
I feel naked when it is not running on my PC.

ingame chat is great,
Voice chat is surprisingly well,
Screen Shots are very clear with high quality.
you can have sort of a Screen shot album of all captures you take gaming,
the new video record mode is amazing.
records any game at 30fps and saves it as an .avi file.
Ingame chat has a fps monitor.
It autmoatically downloads patches for the games installed on your PC
Allows you to view te server information on which your friends are gaming on.
1 click join. So you dont have to copy and paste the server IP when you boot a game.

You can organize your friends into different groups.
Like have have my clan group,
then my old friends group,
and local friends group.

definitely my favorite chat messengers.

What it sounds to me is that you dont have that many current friends.
I have about 30-40 people that I have been intouch with for > 2 years.

If you get alot of good friends you will find yourself using the program alot more. ;)

Ron you are always naked, you and your asian anal....

Anyway, Xfire used to be great, now it just becomes more and more bogged down. They do have some new and nice features indeed that Ron has mentioned, but personally, I no longer play enough FPS's to get the most out of it.

Back in the day though, back when I played COD in Cal, xfire was huge, everyone had it... I know that it is even bigger now, and most people that compete in cal have it, xfire is a nessecity for most FPS teams.

I love it except for the broken Hellgate London x64 part. It's great to be able to join my clanmates in whatever server they're in quickly and easily.

Me and my clan use it. We have a xfire clan so everyone in the clan shows up. Its a great way to see what server they are playing on and makes it alot easier to join the same servers.

We still use vent to talk though, not often we use the xfire chat unless we want to PM eachother.

I use it a lot. I play cod4 with my brother and dad who live in tennessee, where-as I live in Indiana. It's nice to be able to log-on, see who's playing what and in what server, with what gametype, ping, etc. My cod4 clan of course uses it (as I would assume all do), and some friends I used to game with on gamespy arcade (for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six) use it as well. I probably have about 30-40 friends, and I think xfire's a great "tool". I use Ventrilo for voice chat, so I couldn't say about the Voice. There's not much to dislike about it though, that's for sure.

I use it a lot. I play cod4 with my brother and dad who live in tennessee, where-as I live in Indiana. It's nice to be able to log-on, see who's playing what and in what server, with what gametype, ping, etc. My cod4 clan of course uses it (as I would assume all do), and some friends I used to game with on gamespy arcade (for Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six) use it as well. I probably have about 30-40 friends, and I think xfire's a great "tool". I use Ventrilo for voice chat, so I couldn't say about the Voice. There's not much to dislike about it though, that's for sure.

Whoever initiates voice chat is the "server". If that guy's connection sucks, voice chat would be awful. On good connection it is pretty good, I still prefer vent over it. For one, it fucks up my sound drivers on Vista x64.

I've had it for like 2 years and I use it whenever I game. I have like 200 friends on it and I talk to people frequently. I get most the people on my list off of CSS so I don't know if it's big in the RPG community.

I've had it for like 2 years and I use it whenever I game. I have like 200 friends on it and I talk to people frequently. I get most the people on my list off of CSS so I don't know if it's big in the RPG community.

Even though I do not talk to as many ppl on xfire as I used to, I always keep it running when I am online. Their new clan feature is great too, really fun to screw around with.
Xfire is big in every type of game, not as big in MMORPG world, but it is getting there.

I only use it to coordinate online gameplay in CoD4 with friends.

I bought CoD4 in a retail box from GoGamer.com and the CD-key doesn't register in Steam for some reason ... sadness.

I only use it to coordinate online gameplay in CoD4 with friends.

I bought CoD4 in a retail box from GoGamer.com and the CD-key doesn't register in Steam for some reason ... sadness.

Why would it? It's not a Steam-dependent game.

Was it you asking if you needed to download Steam to be able to play CoD4 or someone else?

I used it like crazy when I was in a clan. It was a great way next to IRC to get a scrim, recruit, get people to your server or just talk BS with other teams and players. Worst feature, it only allows 500 friends. That was a real problem for me towards my last year.

If you are not involved in clans or comp, then it might not be that useful. The first 2 or three years I had an account I had like 20 friends and was pretty much a paper weight.

I used to use Skype, till my friend told me about Xfire, haven't turned back since.

it would be cool if each chat window also had webcam streams of your friends

I use it to hook up with friends outta state or even in town when we have a gamenight. We can all find a server and dominate using TS. Was great fun with BF2 and now with COD4.

My COD4 Realism clan requires it so I use it. The more I use it, the more I like it. It's nice being able to see where people are playing at.

Use Qtracker myself. Xfire is too fat and bloated IMO.

Well yes, it used to be ALOT better before MTV bought them. All of the new features they added are useless to me and just bog it down. It does crash some games on Vista 64, which totally sucks. Overall though, it doesn't really hog anything, that is one of the reasons I like it.

mIRC + XFire + Steam Friends for me.

Winning combo. Thats what I use.

Steam is beginning to grow on me though. with the Shift+Tab ingame.

With anygame you just have to add it to your steam games list as a "non steam game"
then launch the game from steam, and you have steam in game(shift+tab) with xfire's(Scroll Lock+X).
Win.

Winning combo. Thats what I use.

Steam is beginning to grow on me though. with the Shift+Tab ingame.

With anygame you just have to add it to your steam games list as a "non steam game"
then launch the game from steam, and you have steam in game(shift+tab) with xfire's(Scroll Lock+X).
Win.

And focus on chatting instead of fragging? No wonder you are a n00bie :p

And focus on chatting instead of fragging? No wonder you are a n00bie :p

Rofl, you would be the one to talk.
n00bie huh? Name me one game that you are better than me in. just 1.

Gears of War - I roll you
Call of Duty 4 - I rape you
Css - I make you uninstall
BF2142 - I say we are about even now.

and don't bring any mmo crud into this discussion. ;)

Back