How many old farts here stil play pc games?

35 here, been playing games since I got my NES for Christmas back in 1987 (I think). Play nearly every night on Steam with a buddy of mine who moved away, but we coop on every game we can get our hands on during Steam sales.

I also have 7 kids (I guess I have other hobbies too ;)) and have built several other PCs for them linked to my Steam & Origin accounts. We used to have a few consoles, but physical media and kids is just a bad idea. Games were getting ruined faster than I could buy them new ones. But now I just get them a game or two during sales and they keep busy. My 11 year old is engrossed in FTL at the moment. :D

Last edited:
66 and spend at least a couple of hours a day gaming.

Boy oh boy am I glad to see your post I was starting to think I was the only REAL old fart around here.....

grumble grumple 30 year olds thinkin they be old sheesh I got shoes older than that :D

32 and I'm like the below, I still enjoy my old games and keep trying to rekindle my interest with some of my older games. I lost a LOT of interest when I had trouble finding games made for the PC and not ports from consoles. I used to rebuild my gaming rig what seemed like every couple years to play the latest and greatest on ultra (or whatever the highest settings were) but when most stuff started to be ported a lot of my older stuff seemed to work fine.
I check the forums here every once in a while to see if anything sounds interesting. Quake 1 got me hooked in deathmatch and used to play HL2DM a TON.

I'm 30 and my interest is dying down. I still play from time to time but I'm not commited and finding things that interest me is hard. Now, that's not to say I don't have an acquisition problem. 600+ Steam games and counting - recently purchased Fallout 4.

The wife and I play a lot of Skyrim on PS3 and I was really consumed with Fallout 3/New Vegas. Also - I have an old XP laptop for playing XP games and I also an old gateway laptop with a decent vid card for that day that I use for 98!

I'm really big into the mechwarrior franchise and use the older laptops for those. Now - I wonder what I want to do to get into fallout 4. More PC or buy an Xbox for forza. /shrug

I'm 36. Still game daily on Steam and still a huge nerd like I was when I was 24.

Play more on my PS4 these days. Just something about plopping on the recliner and turning on a console and using a controller that appeals.

I'm 36. Still game daily on Steam and still a huge nerd like I was when I was 24.

at 33 i'm still a huge nerd but haven't been playing games like I used to. Not many interest me anymore. I've actually been playing old ass atari stuff lately.

im 26 but my dad is almost 60... jesus... He is retired and games full time lol

Had a mult line bbs running doors for MP doom and took off from there

Played countless hours of Action Quake 2, and all the other awesome mods for BF1942 etc

I'll admit to mostly being bored to death with the BF series and ALL fps now but it might be due to age/life.

30. The last games I played were Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite with some TF2 mixed in. That was over a year ago. After my daughter was born, I haven't had time for anything.

I have been looking forward to FO4 for a long time. It would be amazing if I could find a couple of hours a week to play it.

36 here. Recently got GTA5 on the PC. It's fun, but not a lot of time to play games much these days. Considering FO4, I had played FO3 and New Vegas a lot, as well as Skyrim.

Wish I had the time more often!!

47 here. I still love to game, but time is limited...still making my way through The Witcher 3.

42. Mostly spend time doing cross fit and a little parkour / tricking. Did fire up red alert skirmish mode this week. What I really suck at are fps with controllers like halo. I think that is tough to learn now.

I do still play sports games on console.

Gotta do those physical things while the getting is still good! Also wanna see if I can still skateboard. Wife thinks I'm nuts but I said these things are cheaper mid life crisis than buying a car lol

Last edited:
Great posts everyone. Hell, when I retire in another 5-6 years, maybe I'll play more by getting a special chair to avoid stiff muscles from hours of sitting. At one point, I actually elevated my desk so I would stand some of the time. Worked okay, except it was about 2-3 inches too low, so after about an hour or so, my neck would begin to hurt. Bottom line - it's a bitch getting old.

Closing on 39, stole my first game at 13 with a 2400 baud modem (woo woo kings quest)

I bitch more about my chair these days. As far as gaming goes its waaaaay less than it used to be (heh everquest stole part of my life) but im still a few times a week button masher.

33. I spend more time gaming than I ever did as a kid. However, I play fewer games. I attribute this to watching a hell of a lot less television than I used to.

I tend to find a couple games I like and stick with them a long time.

I'm old as the hills.
Still playing games.
Currently playing Witcher 3 hearts of stone

grumble grumple 30 year olds thinkin they be old sheesh I got shoes older than that :D

There are exceptions. One of my HS friends started having kids at 19. He was full blown middle-aged at 31. :D

I'll never understand why anyone might think that an adult, regardless of age, shouldn't be playing games, PC or otherwise.

One of the great things about being a full-blown adult is that *we* decide what constitutes mature behavior.

I need my own man cave though.

Wife can't stand the clickety-cick of the keyboard or controller !!

One of the benefits of being single I guess.

I am 44, still playing. My first game was back in the early 80s. My mom's friend was the operations officer at a Bank of America branch. Her friend asked me, "do you want to play on the Wang"? I didn't know what a Wang was but I was interested! Turns out Wang was what they called their computer. She took me to a room that had just a desk, computer, monitor, and keyboard (no mouse). I played a text based game for hours and was hooked. A couple of years later I was the proud owner of a Zenith computer with 2 (major upgrade) floppy disk drives. The first game I had was Hitcher Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I got hard into games several years ago. I built myself what was a great computer then.
Now days I buy lots of games because I can't resist the sales but find I play less and less. The games don't capture me like they used too. I have spent less time playing AAA titles and more playing games like FTL or Tribal Wars.

I'm 51 and play whenever I can. I have a gigantic backlog to deal with when I retire. Soon.

43 and I still play, once in awhile. I usually buy games on steam or something that I thought looked good, dropping a few dollars about 2 years after the game came out. Very inexpensive.

My last run was about 40 hrs of Skyrim, early this year... I may have developed joint problems from that one :)

I'm 67. Self employed still working. Playing Bloodborne and Final Fantasy XIV. Looking forward to Horizon Zero Dawn. No interest in Fallout 4 at all. Haven't tried Witcher 3 yet. Honestly, most games seem dull or shallow. Bloodborne and Souls / Fromsoft games in general are my favorites these days. I liked Age of Conan a lot, also I thought the Tomb Raider reboot was a great game.

I just turned 33 a couple months ago and I still play video games almost daily and PC only.

TF2 - add me on Steam :D (mrguvernment)

I am 36 and game regularly, but i only got into gaming around 16 ish, Delta Force 2 from Novalogic was the shizzooo back then, and UT and Quake III / Arena were my prime time days.

One of the nice things about being an "older" gamer is the ability to make decisions without remorse. Yes, I know I have bills to pay, and a mortgage, and a family .... but it was totally my choice to spend $60 on Fallout 4. Normally I don't do such things. Normally, I don't spend full cost on release-day games. Normally, I wait until sales and whatnot.

But, the privilege of being an "adult" means that when I do choose to spend $60 on a new game, I can do so without judgement. It's my money. I've done the responsible shit for long enough that I know when its OK to spoil myself. My wife knows that I am responsible and that we make normal adult responsible choices. And she also knows that when I choose to spoil myself it was not an irresponsible decision.

Have I mentioned that I bought Fallout 4? And that I'm an old fart? And I have Fallout 4?

I'm going to have to try out this witcher business. Maybe this winter when I have less outside projects on my honey do list.
I put loads of hours into Witcher 1 and Witcher 2. Great storylines and characters. I've heard Witcher 3 is even better.

i born in 1979. And i spend 1 to 2 hours everyday play game. :) And i am so proud about that.

Lotsa high tenure farts like me I see.. 49 and still find time. I started PC gaming in the 80's, first memorable game was the original Escape from Castle Wolfenstein. I played it off a tape drive. Change rooms... flip the tape... :D

Lotsa high tenure farts like me I see.. 49 and still find time. I started PC gaming in the 80's, first memorable game was the original Escape from Castle Wolfenstein. I played it off a tape drive. Change rooms... flip the tape... :D
Never heard of Escape from Wolfenstein. Was it Return to Castle Wolfenstein?
images

Back