How many of you use your electronics as a means for heating a room.

simpsond

Weaksauce
I have a few servers and my desktop running nearly 24/7 in my room. Mixed with some audio equipment and my own BTUs, my room can be up to 10 degress warmer than the rest of the house. Do any of you experience this? I think it is awesome.

By default my equipment is a heating source, though it is not awesome when i'm trying to cool the room(s) in the summertime.

It's a double-edged sword in my book.

My 4 computers and 21" and 17" CRT's do help heat the area a bit. But they are no match for the 39F temperature outside, so I still have to run the furnace.

My equipment heats up my room quite well, especially when I have my HighDef CRT TV on.

I actually use to rely on my 21" CRT monitor as means to heat my computer room during the winter months. but of course that also sucked bigtime in the summer time when my computer room would average a good 5 to 7 degrees hotter than the rest of the house just for that same reason.

thank goodness that those days are long gone since I've switched over to using LCDs. man, these monitors are a God's send ten times over.

The heating in my dorm doesn't work =D With my receiver, big computer, laptop, secondary computer, monitor, tv, subwoofer, and even fridge.. My room stays nice and toasty even with the window open.

Hehe, yeah, my computer room is always the warmest, which is nice in the winter, sucks in the summer. Also helps to have a tv in the room too.

The heat in my apartment still has not been turned on, so it's pretty much up to my comp to keep the place warm.

Yeah, my room is nearly the hotest in the house too, and its just my comp, CRT, lappy, and my sub. but it does SUCK in summer though.

My stuff is my primary source of heat.

Funny how when it cooled down outside enough so I didn't need A/C anymore, but still not cold enough for heat, my electric bill dropped by $50. Before I got all my junk going a few years back, it used to only cost about $20 to cool my place in the summer.

My computer room is by far the warmest room in the house. I have

LCD (No heat)
Computer (lots of heat)
Salt water tank (big) with a halogen bulb that acts as a sun so yeah, it is hot. Even in winter I have to open the window a bit, it gets a bit too hot sometimes. And in the summer, it is brutal. But I have AC :)

I forgot to add I have two laptops running. Apple Powerbook 15" and iBook SE.

My comp keeps my room nice n toasty, especially in the winter months. It's my own space heater.

Same here, my computer keeps my room about 5 degrees C warmer than the rest of the house. I used a Kill-A-Watt meter to measure the power draw and it reads 300W of power during idle for all my equipment. Thats like half of a standard portable heater!

Same. It's awesome in the winter... It sucks in the summer.

I usually have all this running...

Laptop
Gaming PC
T.V.
Stereo

And that alone keeps my room a good 10 degrees F warmer than the rest of the house.

yep laptops are equally good when you're outside. Switch one on in the subway when you're cold and wahey, a portable heater

vanquished said:
yep laptops are equally good when you're outside. Switch one on in the subway when you're cold and wahey, a portable heater
LOL, yep! nice aint it? :p

I did not close the window in my dorm room a single day i lived there last year (in MA).. I had my dual operon running, a 1200mhz duron, a dual pIII 733, and a 4ch amp in my 19" rack, as well as a 17" trinitoron (that gets really hot) and a 19" viewsonic, all on 2 smart ups 1000's.

i use my 2 computers to keep my room heated, with the door shut most of the time...but it does get kinda stuffy and i gotta open the door.

i recently just opened my radiator because its been down in the 30's at night and i shutdown the pcs when i go to bed, cause they're too loud

2x Heavily overclocked systems.
2x 650va battery backups.

The difference when the equipment is on and off is me wearing a t-shirt, and a sweater.

Does it count if you keep warm using a laptop as a combination space heater and heating pad?

It's 23 degrees right now in NY and I might have to run 1.7 volts to this X2 4400.
Not for just oc'ing, I need more heat damn it. This room is cold.

It has been in the upper 70s in Arizona during the day. At about 3 PM my temp in my den is right arround 87-89 degrees. Of course this is due to a 21"CRT, and 6 systems running F@H full time. No A/C for the last 3 weeks has been great! :D

Back