How many of you use Vista full-time (details inside)?

How many of you use Vista full-time?

• Yep, 24/7

Votes: 141 57.1%
  • Nope, still dual boot/second machine with XP or other OS installed.

Votes: 57 23.1%
  • I haven't even tried Vista, so I'll be good and pick this choice rather than crapping on the thread.

Votes: 49 19.8%

• Total voters

zacdl

[H]ard|Gawd
How many of you that actually use Vista, use it as your only OS?

Obviously if your job requires you using XP or something else, that doesn't count.

As your personal choice at home or wherever, how many of you use Vista as your only OS, without dual-booting or anything like that?

There is a reason why I ask... I'm curious how many people that have actually given Vista a shot have switched.

im using it on my main rig

i did get a random BSOD the other day... but has yet to show up again

i get a 4.2 experience rating... i like vista.. and when the fix all that is wrong a lot of other people will enjoy it too

im going to be buying a 2nd copy for my computer im currently building

we use xp at work and my new rig will have xp to start... till i get another copy of vista

I thought I'd give in yesterday, and poured Vista Home permium on my lappy. Tonight, I'm re-partitioning my HDD to get XP Pro back because the ONLY Nvidia go7900 series graphics drivers are the crappy beta drivers that Dell released. No support from Nvidia for this card in Vista yet, and none of my games work well.

Everything is fine with Vista for me except gaming. So im just dual booting for gaming. When the drivers are good, i'll be on Vista 24/7.

I used to dual boot Vista And Xp, now its Vista full time. All my games work just fine on Vista and i havent any need for Xp anymore.:D

It's been vista full time for me since release. My rating is 4.1.

I am regularly playing Oblivion, Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Never Winter Night. Upgrading my RAM to 2gig would probably make the thing work perfectly. But I am pretty satisfied.

Full time works but is slow with internet speed and there are no 64 bit programs that take advantage of Vista yet and it looks like it will be at least 2 years before there will be any well writen 64 bit programs including games. But I keep hoping.:rolleyes: OH I have a x1900 AIW but still have no drivers for this card and ATI said they will not make any for Vista. So no AIW Work right.

.... seems ATI drivers work fine and most people who use vista full time have an ATI card

post if your using nvidia and you games are fine

I thought I'd give in yesterday, and poured Vista Home permium on my lappy. Tonight, I'm re-partitioning my HDD to get XP Pro back because the ONLY Nvidia go7900 series graphics drivers are the crappy beta drivers that Dell released. No support from Nvidia for this card in Vista yet, and none of my games work well.

You can use the Nvidia drivers for your lappy even if the card is not supported. You just have to modify the inf file so that Vista would accept the driver. You can usually find the inf file at http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ but they're down right now.

Just removed my dual-boot config today :) after 1 month of not using XP.

I was dual booting with XP, but I got rid of it awhile back.

Vista Home Premium, and my wife is running it as well. My kids machine is still on XP, but that's the only one in the house.

Same here.

I got vista ultimate the week it was released.

Imaged my entire system (all drives) just to be safe, then installed Vista as dual-boot for 2 months.

At that point everything was in good enough shape to run Vista only (plus I have some 4 XP machines available to me just in case), so I cleared out everything and just went with Vista only on the main machine.

I was dual booting with XP, but I got rid of it awhile back.

Vista Home Premium, and my wife is running it as well. My kids machine is still on XP, but that's the only one in the house.

I switched my home computer to Vista Ultimate, and my work computer runs Vista Business. I just switched my wife's computer over to Vista Home Premium, because she thought it was "prettier" than XP.

well people from my work use vista and they all say it sucks and therefore where gunna revert back to xp :)

well people from my work use vista and they all say it sucks and therefore where gunna revert back to xp :)

Classic!

Well anyway, I'm about to convert to nVidia, but my X800 has worked nearly seamlessly. Not their newest card by any means, so that's impressive.
I'm on Vista Ultimate. I was dual booting XP often, but kind of migrated to 23/7. Some of the features stand out. I've liked improved thumbnails and after a lot of customization, have found most navigation to be slightly more intuitive, though not groundbreaking. Indexed searches are nice.
Things I've disliked are IP_V6 and the occasional no-warning reboot.

Am I imagining that this OS uses/abuses the hardware to get more out of it?

I have been thinking about picking up a copy from my University, but i dont really have a machine i want to try it out on. My main computer which is my laptop i take with me EVERYWHERE!!!! (because i am full time student) i dual boot Ubuntu Edgy and XP Pro (for Outlook and OneNote). And on my home computer which is my gaming rig i use MCE because it was cheaper than Pro, and on my actual MCE computer i use obviously MCE and it could not handle Vista Home premium so that is out of the question.

So, i will not be getting Vista any time soon, i actually dug out my old copy of Win 2k the other day to throw on to a file server. Win 2k + Ubuntu = Awesome combination! The only thing better is having Win 2k run virtually inside of Ubuntu!

My new laptop is running Vista Ultimate, however I still have my desktop. I haven't used the desktop as much, but when I play BF2142 it is on that machine, plus the desktop is where I download podcasts at, and where my iPod is synced to.

I am using an Nvidia video card in the laptop. And the games I have run on it have been fine. (Guild Wars, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes). I haven't really noticed any issues other than iTunes playback of video, and that is only when I pause the video. I get this strange effect if the video is paused out of iTunes. The screen starts shifting and blinking. Once I start it back up the screen is fine.

I have had one program that didn't work, that was Microsoft Streets and Trips 2007. It screwed up my USB drivers, so I couldn't use any USB devices.

Used Vista, I thought it was garbage, currently using XP 24/7

Actually that would put you under Option 3....

But I myself use Vista on everything I have a say about. Otherwise, the stuff I don't have a choice all end up running XP...
I haven't had any real problems with Vista so far (aside from Dell not writing printer drivers for a few months (I hate Dell) although that's hardly Vista's fault).

Bought a new system, upgraded to Ultimate for giggles ( and I'll have to know it when the time comes ). Use it 24/7. I think it's the best MS os yet, but the differences between 2k, xp and vista fade to less than background noise after a month of usage; I just want something to run my programs when I tell them to run, and do so reliably ( which Vista does ).

Light gaming ( oblivion, civ 4 ), web/email, light programing, video and image manipulation.

Well I voted for the third option (I haven't even tried Vista, so I'll be good and pick this choice rather than crapping on the thread), though I have actually tried Vista, and had used it since Beta 2. I just don't have Vista on any of my computers yet, as XP has been working great for me, and since I use my home computer for work

I'm holding off for a while. I'm probably going to wait for the first service pack, and/or see how things go with the 64 bit version of Vista, because I'd really like to go with 64, but the support of XP x64 left a little to be desired. However, I will eventually make the move to Vista. Just a matter of when.

I still use ubuntu 24/7 though I did boot into vista last night, for some gaming fun....and transferring stuff off my sisters phone for her......

I'm an independent software developer and needed to run Vista full time to make sure the programs I support work properly with it. I started with a dual boot, but my hard disk crashed early on while I was trying to get some drivers worked out, so I just installed Vista for now.

It works, but it's not better than XP. It's a bit faster on boot up and probably a bit slower on shut down. The driver problem is a constant pain. Many programs either don't work, or work but are funky, or work but you have to jump through a lot of hoops - do a lot of forum fishing - to get them to install. Also, the "safety features" are serious overkill. You really have to turn them all off to get anything done. Then of course you have no protection at all.

All in all, I would say Vista was not made to be a better operating system, as all the previous Windows were; it was made to rake in more money, pure and simple. It does nothing that XP won't do, and it requires more computer horsepower than XP.

I would say, if you have a choice, stick with XP. That goes double for the -64 version.

Would you mind listing all these programs that don't work right, or drivers that still cause you pain? Majority of opinions don't agree with what you've said, so it would be nice to see a list, rather than someone randomly bashing Vista without giving any details.

Well this is something you should Google to find out because I only have experience with the programs I use. However I'll mention a few that have given me trouble.

Nvidia 8800 Drivers - this is well documented on this forum; latest drivers just released work better but still are funky.

Ergodex keypad - no Vista support at all. May never be, as it looks like the company has gone out of business - web site has been down for well over a week.

Visual Basic - works but is funky; you get a really slow XOR outline when trying to place components, so laggy as to be nearly unusable. This may be a combination of Vista and the 8800 drivers, but the problem didn't happen with XT.

Partition Magic 8 (latest version) does not work in Vista. No word on when a Vista compatible version will be available, if ever.

WSFTP does not work in Vista, although they now have a beta that does. Last I checked, you have to email tech support to get it.

Armadillo - will not install. You can get it to install by doing some turning on and off of the hardware protection, involving some 3 boot ups. This is true with a host of other programs I've read about but not personally used.

Anything written in or using components written in VB5 or lower. Microsoft is no longer supporting VB5 and below. You can go fish to find and download the runtime and then most will work.

Google Earth - works but zoom does not respond to the mouse wheel (zooms in whether you move the wheel forward or reverse). Probably is specific to particular mouse versions, but I'm using a Microsoft wireless laser mouse. Made by, um, Microsoft.

Could not get the latest Adobe reader to install. Haven't checke why yet; probably a system setting will do it once I go forum fishing on it, just haven't gotten around to it.

Windows Help (!) - how could they not support their own help reader? This is the early one that looks way dated now, but a lot of legacy software still uses. Within the past few days Microsoft has posted a version of the help reader that works in Vista. But, again, you have to go fish.

And so it goes. This list in by no means exaustive, just what came to mind as I type this. It's been a real pain, especially compared to how easy XP was to get started with, even early on. And now XP has gotten really smooth, with support by just about everyone. As I said, if you have a choice, stick with XP.

Nvidia 8800 Drivers - this is well documented on this forum; latest drivers just released work better but still are funky.
Not Vista's fault.

Ergodex keypad - no Vista support at all. May never be, as it looks like the company has gone out of business - web site has been down for well over a week.
Not Vista's fault.

Visual Basic - works but is funky; you get a really slow XOR outline when trying to place components, so laggy as to be nearly unusable. This may be a combination of Vista and the 8800 drivers, but the problem didn't happen with XT.
May be drivers like you think, but I really don't use VB that much to even comment...

Partition Magic 8 (latest version) does not work in Vista. No word on when a Vista compatible version will be available, if ever.
Not Vista's fault.

WSFTP does not work in Vista, although they now have a beta that does. Last I checked, you have to email tech support to get it.
Not Vista's fault. Plus there are tons of other FTP clients that work with Vista...

Armadillo - will not install. You can get it to install by doing some turning on and off of the hardware protection, involving some 3 boot ups. This is true with a host of other programs I've read about but not personally used.
Not Vista's fault. Have you tried installing under XP Compatibility mode, as well as running it in that mode? It's normally a problem with the company sloppily writing to directories...

Anything written in or using components written in VB5 or lower.
Not Vista's fault. As you already said, MS doesn't even support it anymore.

Google Earth - works but zoom does not respond to the mouse wheel (zooms in whether you move the wheel forward or reverse). Probably is specific to particular mouse versions, but I'm using a Microsoft wireless laser mouse. Made by, um, Microsoft.
Not Vista's fault. I haven't had any problems with Google Earth, though.
Plus, Microsoft makes some of the best mice out there. Have you even tried another mouse before forming the opinion "Microsoft's mice suck, too"???

Could not get the latest Adobe reader to install. Haven't checke why yet; probably a system setting will do it once I go forum fishing on it, just haven't gotten around to it.
Not Vista's fault. Do a search for it- tons of people having this problem, and some people don't have this problem (I have never had this problem on any Vista machine so far). The fix is pretty simple, but it has to do with the way Acrobat writes its files.

Windows Help (!) - how could they not support their own help reader? This is the early one that looks way dated now, but a lot of legacy software still uses. Within the past few days Microsoft has posted a version of the help reader that works in Vista. But, again, you have to go fish.
I don't know why you are surprised. Microsoft has done a fantastic job at backwards compatibility, probably the best out there. With Vista, I was so happy to see them throwing out some of that compatibility in order to swap with stability.

Like most of these problems, Vista cannot be to blame for them. It's solely upon the manufacturer writing drivers or compatible programs. They have ALWAYS had to do this with every new system that comes out, and Vista is no different.

I use it on 5 of my home computers, all full time,2 of them are x64. I haven't had any serious issues at all. I've had the minor compatibility issue with some software, but I didn't expect older programs to work well, anyway. That and the sound card issues (Damn Creative Labs and M-Audio!).

I love Vista, don't have any complaints. I do know that some people are having issues, or have programs that they NEED, so they don't need to switch. If you have a system capable of Vista (fairly high end), go for it. Of course, I am a little biased, I do run a Vista site! :) But, I do admit to the problems that it has, I don't try and pretty it up.... Too much... :)

I have the same mouse with the same problem. It's only specific to that mouse. I've used several others and they all work fine. There should be a fix out sometime, or a driver update.

you can create and resize partitions from vista... its a built in feature

@ zacdl
holy jump down his throat......he never said vista is the ultimate suxxorz, he said that he would still recommend xp over vista based on software not working or installing, as well as driver issues.....he was then asked what issues, he was having so he posted them.

I do not think he blamed vista specifically he was saying those are the issues he is having.

Also all the reviews I have read are all say the same, software and drivers are lacking......

Also all the reviews I have read are all say the same, software and drivers are lacking......

As long as we understand this... and know it is not Vista's fault.

My problem is when people have problems with programs, and say "Vista sucks". Then anyone else you talk to about Vista will get that same opinion from you: "Vista sucks".

If you realize that it's the software vendor's fault, you'll realize "Dell sucks". Then anyone else you talk to about Vista will think, "I don't have anything related to Dell, so I guess Vista will work for me".

That's the difference I'm trying to get at here...
Blaming the software vendor for their own shortfalls is great, but blaming Vista for someone else's mistakes isn't right.
Would you blame Toyota for not running smoothly on a potholed road?

I like it a lot. And it will only get better. So yeah, I use it full time now. :D

As long as we understand this... and know it is not Vista's fault.

My problem is when people have problems with programs, and say "Vista sucks". Then anyone else you talk to about Vista will get that same opinion from you: "Vista sucks".

If you realize that it's the software vendor's fault, you'll realize "Dell sucks". Then anyone else you talk to about Vista will think, "I don't have anything related to Dell, so I guess Vista will work for me".

That's the difference I'm trying to get at here...
Blaming the software vendor for their own shortfalls is great, but blaming Vista for someone else's mistakes isn't right.
Would you blame Toyota for not running smoothly on a potholed road?

Right and I agree.....you are talking to a linux user I know the bitter taste of manufacturer driver support or the lack there of, and some one who has heard the all too common, how do I run "windows app" in linux, or I cant run "windows app" through wine, linux sucks....... but I do not think xbeemer said it was vistas fault, he was saying these are the issues he is having with vista........and he cited specific examples because he was asked to do so.

I think the problem here is the chicken and the egg, if vista is quickly adopted then software dev, and hardware manufacturers will worker harder on vista support, but people are not gonna adopt vista quickly if the software and hardware support is not there....

I have to use it 8-10hrs at day here at work and hate it. No way in hell am I changing my home pc's for a long time.

but I do not think xbeemer said it was vistas fault, he was saying these are the issues he is having with vista........and he cited specific examples because he was asked to do so.
I would agree with that, but for his statement here:

I would say Vista was not made to be a better operating system, as all the previous Windows were; it was made to rake in more money, pure and simple.

I think the problem here is the chicken and the egg, if vista is quickly adopted then software dev, and hardware manufacturers will worker harder on vista support, but people are not gonna adopt vista quickly if the software and hardware support is not there....
And that's where I normally just drop it and let it be, because everyone is different.
Software support for everything I use has been great- which is why I am using Vista every chance I get.
Software support for other products is lacking, and why some people are forced to stick with XP for the time being.
It all depends on who runs what type of thing I guess...

8800GTS - Vista full time.

All my games run perfectly, no BSODs or other problems.

Much better/faster experience than XP.

I was using 100.64's till the 158.18's came out - I'm very happy with the 158.18's.

Oblivion, Stalker, HL2, CS:S, BF2142. All work perfectly.

Just built my new machine, and am dual-booting XP Pro and Vista Home Premium x64. So far, I really like Vista, though it takes some getting used to versus XP. I'm certainly willing to give it a shot at being my 24/7 OS.

I have had some BSOD or crash to desktop type issues when running some games in Vista x64, though. I think there still are some driver/gaming issues that need working out. Some games work flawlessly for me, others are very temperamental, as I expected.

But overall, as I said, I enjoy using the new OS and will continue to do so, and I probably won't use my XP partition for much of anything unless a game or program just won't run right under Vista.

You're absolutely right, and that is why it takes sometime for everything to be working near 100%. This is the concept so many people have failed to realize, when complaining that VIsta sucks, or Microsoft blows, or Uncle BIllie took more of my money, etc. Very few take a patient stance and realize it takes sometime. However, Vista has been making better progress than any version of Windows to date. I remember with 2000 and XP, being 6 months after it's public release date and still have stability issues and a lack of drivers.

I am running Vista Ult. x64 So far I have had a very positive experience with Vista. I know some drivers and software still need some work, but for the most part are coming along. I think with the small amount of issues I do have that they will be gone within the next few months easy.

What I tell people is to make sure what you do, is compatible with Vista. try to stay away from programs hardware and drivers that do not work with Vista and you should be good to go.

Back