How many of you have reached >80% on 8GB?

Have you utilized over 80% of your 8GB RAM?

• Yes

Votes: 48 71.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 28.4%

• Total voters

brncao

Limp Gawd
Just out of curiosity. I thought I'd never hit above 80% on 8GB of RAM. But I was wrong... It happened a couple times. I've hit that mark when I have firefox, chrome, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Audition, FL Studio, litecoin-qt, and Outlook (all above 100,000 K) open. If I attempt to open a game, I can imagine it hitting the >90% mark. Looks like I need more RAM.

Note, if you have more than 8GB of RAM (i.e. 16GB), then divide 8GB by 16GB [or the amount of RAM you have] and multiply it by 80%. So the question for 16GB users would be at 40% instead.

I've got 32 GB in this box and have never seen the memory in use rise above 16 GB. I've just finished a session of Borderlands 2 and the RAM usage is now 11 GB, mainly Chrome, with one web page having exploded to 1.5 GB and Flash taking another 1 GB.

I use machines with 8gb (tablet convertable), 16gb (editing laptop) and 32gb (workstation). All off them frequently go above 80%. Mainly when applying effects while video-editing or rendering.
Some effects on big pictures (36mp or stitched) can easily take up more than 16gb, but only having 8 won't slow photo-editing down too much (video-editing is another story).

A few years back I built a machine with 48GB of ram after it became clear that the 8GB in my desktop was nowhere near enough for the HFSS models I was trying to simulate. Would have preffered to have 96GB but that was outside the budget available (at the time going from 48GB to 96GB would have more than doubled the cost of the machine).

Both of my main c++ development boxes hit > 8GB nearly every single day. They also max out the 8 and 12 threads they have almost every single day.

Every time I use a virtual machine at home, I use over 8GB RAM. Heck, I give 8GB to virtual machines when possible. I have 24GB RAM at home. Only 8GB at work, though, so I have to give VMs at work 2-4GB (also depends on what other programs I need to have open while using VMs at work). I'd prefer to have more RAM at work, but 8GB is very rarely THAT big a limitation for me.

Most of the time I don't use >8GB at home when not running VMs.

8GB is the bare minimum we have on newer machines at work. 16GB is becoming more common as 8GB is just not enough anymore.

I run 8gb in my macbook pro and my gaming machine/htpc. The gaming PC never reaches close to 8gb but the macbook does because I usually have a ton of stuff open in safari, several word documents, excel, and I have parallels running windows 8 with labview and multisim open frequently. It is making me wish I could upgrade the ram.

It has also made me realize that having 8gb is the bare minimum I would use, my work machine is an i5 with SSD but only 4gb of ram and I am constantly getting slow down because It can't handle the huge data sets I need to manipulate.

I've hit over 90% on this one and a few others like it.

2695v2_zpse9f60f09.jpg

Only Firefox takes up ~5 GB, so I went over 100% of 8 GB RAM quite often.

Dang. I remember a few years ago people would suggest 4GB as a minimum. Based on that, I doubled it to 8 GB. Today, people who suggest 8 GB as "plenty enough" should leave a big asterisk, because to a power user it's not, and it doesn't guarantee future proofing. I should've quadrupled it to 16GB (or 24GB) when it was cheap in 2012.

24gb in 2010, 32gb in 2013, to 8gb currently. All windows 7.

8gb is barely enough for basic day to day workload... firefox, skype, pidgin, outlook can eat all of it if they wanted, but usually sit and play nice around 50-60% utilized w/out much effort. Load up photoshop or maybe a game with only 8gb and you're done... or any other demanding app for that matter.

83% used right now on my server. (value is what is left, out of 8GB)

VM server though. I'm waiting for a processor to come in, and I will be able to build my new VM server which will have 32GB of ram. This current server is fast enough but it's maxed out at 8GB. I have several projects I want to start on including hosting a hyperboria node so I need more capacity.

I am always hitting atleast 60-70% on my machine. Chrome uses a crapload of ram, I usualy have it open along with: Raptr, Outlook, foxit, vlc, and sometimes maya, zbrush and/or Visual Studio. At that point im usally hovering above 80%. With all that i keep open at any given time anytime i run a game my usage tops the high 80s even floods over to ~90%. I preordered watch dogs and a couple days ago i saw its rec specs here on [H] (8gb minimum) and i decided ttime to upgrade so i just bought 8 more GB of ram. I also wish i had gotten more than 8gb when i built my rig a year or so ago, because when i bought my ram then i got 2x4gb sticks of 1600mhz for like 30 bucks :(

I'm back to 16GB but I used to close in on 24GB reguarly. Had a Linux VM + a Win7 VM open roughly 24/7, in addition to whatever else I was doing.

I suppose if you leave browsers open and play games you might get high consumption.
I can have 30+ FF tabs open and chrome and not even use 3Gigs out of my 8.

I close them down when I play games and don't go over 3G either.

Last edited:
I haven't had only 8 GB of ram since the core 2 duo days....

Code:
root@dekabutsu: 09:10 PM :~# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        193807     161753      32054          0          0      21766
-/+ buffers/cache:     139986      53820
Swap:            0          0          0

Colo:

Code:
root@方向音痴: 09:09 PM :~# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         48393      48153        240          0         97      18506
-/+ buffers/cache:      29548      18844
Swap:            0          0          0

Can't survive without 8GB these days. I hit 80% all the time. Chrome is a blood memory hog. Followed directly by solidworks.

I suppose if you leave browsers open and play games you might get high consumption.
Damn right I do. I'm impatient and I do quite a lot of web reading/research for fun. Even with a SSD, I don't like waiting for Chrome, Firefox and Opera to open with my last 100+ tabs.

I often saturate my 32GB of RAM. I still have a pending 64GB kit to install (need to replace CPU heatsink with water cooling system). I don't think the 64GB will be enough still ...

I have 16gb's on all 3 of my machines and have never gone over probably 8gb, even on the host machines. But it was cheap back then when I bought the memory.

I often saturate my 32GB of RAM. I still have a pending 64GB kit to install (need to replace CPU heatsink with water cooling system). I don't think the 64GB will be enough still ...

Out of curiosity, what are you doing that uses that much ram?

Out of curiosity, what are you doing that uses that much ram?
Panoramas large and small in large quantities. Mass processing eats up lots of RAM and 32GB isn't enough, especially for larger panoramas (less than 1 gigapixel).

Other than that, for the most part, it's hard to saturate. It is handy to have that amount of RAM for experiments and testing (not virtualization-related). My 32GB isn't enough and I have a pending 64GB upgrade I can't do until I replace the Prolimatech Megahalem's on my i7-3930K with a "lower profile" heatsink such as an AIO water cooling system because the sticks in the 64GB kit are too tall and would hit the heatsink.

When I have all my Sh*# Running and have 200 tabs open in chrome i get the error atleast once a day :)

I have maxed 6.5GB when archiveing rar files 35GB into 500MB files,,,,but I have not reached 3.7GB when the comp is just doing its daily work

At home, I've got 8GB. I hit it occasionally when running VMs. At work, with 64GB I've regularly used over 40GB not counting memory allocated to caching. But, I often have 8+ VMs running at work.

Back