How many of you have DVD writers

I do, and everytime I rent a movie that's good!

Actually, I've been using it a lot less since I got an extra 250gb drive. Now I just rip them to the drive so I can watch the movies from any PC in the house. And my roomy can watch them from his room too.

Works out.

i use mine to back up files, games, dvds, svcds and such ....chech my sig.... im using about about 13 dvd+rw's for storage, and i have regular dvd+r's for dvd movies i want to keep

I have 2....one at work, and one at home. I use the one at work for data backup and utility disc creation, and at home for digital video type stuff...and DVD creation.

Considering my LiteOn was $90, and was flashed from a 411S to an 811S, and it burns CDs at 40x....it would have ben dumb NOT to get it.

so to you guys they are products of high "value" as it were...i dont mean value in terms of $$$'s but i mean personal value to you...

the reason i am asking is coz my optical drives are dying and i am tempted but something is holding me back from getting a DVD dive, i just wanna see what people think and how much they value the use of a DVD RW...

i was looking to get the Liteon 812S.

Originally posted by PlaneCrazy

I'm calling Hawaii 5-0
:D

Anyway, I bought one of those bad boys a few months ago from Best Buy (someone gave me a damned gift certificate instead of cash?!) anyway, I brought it home, and right away went to copy Saving Private Ryan.. I went to go copy the DVD, and it gave me a copyright error.
Needless to say I took that little bastard back the next day.
Any idea how to get around the copyright error?

I have one and I plan on using it mainly for data backups. It's more convenient than using 6-7 CDR's and some files won't fit on a CDR.
I've been kinda lax lately and only used the DVD-RW once since I got it 2 months ago. I've got 400 gigs to backup so I'll be using it often next week.

get the dvd burner , you won t regret it ,
even if all you use it for is backup.

i have all my files and games backed up on 6 RW's. nice feeling :D

Originally posted by MontyAC
You can use DVDXCOPY or DVDshrink.

Don't these programs cost like 75 bucks?
Dude, I'm not paying 75 bucks for that :rolleyes:

How about ripping it onto a HDD? How can I do that?

ok cheers dudes...i guess it will be good for saving Ghost images to and such like...will making formatting and reinstalling a jiffy :D

I am only running on one optical drive on my setup right now. I have the Liteon 811S. Basically, I use the drive religiously. I burn music with it, install games with it, watch movies with it, backup my games with it, and etc.

Alex

Originally posted by CoRPS
Don't these programs cost like 75 bucks?
Dude, I'm not paying 75 bucks for that :rolleyes:

How about ripping it onto a HDD? How can I do that?

DVDShrink is freeware, use this with Nero and it'll fit a dvd movie onto one dvd. It'll encode and then burn the movie. Takes about 4+ hours to encode.

DVDXCOPY you'll need to pay.

I have a Plextor 708a.

It takes me one hour to decrypt a DVD using DVD Decrypter and then shrink it using DVD Shrink.

Burning at 4x though took an hour an a half :-\

Oh yea, I love my Netflix account too :)

DVD burners are damn cheap. At this point, I don't see any point in buying an optical drive that isn't a dvd burner.

I got mine last year, and haven't used it that much, but that's a good thing, cause if i were to back everything up on CDs it would have been a lot more. That's the main reason I got it....quicker and easier backups.

I love my DVD burner. Backing up data is so much easier. Use 4-6 DVDRW instead of using 20cdrw's. I also use mine alot for DVD Movie backups.

Originally posted by MontyAC
DVDShrink is freeware, use this with Nero and it'll fit a dvd movie onto one dvd. It'll encode and then burn the movie. Takes about 4+ hours to encode.

More like 45 minutes.

I bought my 8X NEC that writes all formats for $92. Definitely worth it from my POV, I'd rather get one drive for it all than get a CDRW for $40, DVDROM for $30, etc...

If you're buying a new drive I'd say save up the $$ and get the DVDRW.

IO Magic 8X internal at home.
External 2x Que-something-or-another at work.
I've been consolidating TV Show cd-r's at my house, and burning off big databases/ghost images that are too big to FTP at work.

hold off on buying one just yet. they are supposed to be release double layer dvd burners. 9gb or so on each disk insteal of the 4.7 gb. much more valuable and more practicle

I was going to say - yeah, it takes like 30 mins to encode the DVD using DVDshrink. It allows you to re-author the DVD and take out unwanted parts like ads and previews. Good app.

And yeah, DVDshrink will let you rip to your HD too.. Or use Gordian Knot.

Originally posted by pat
I have a Plextor 708a.

It takes me one hour to decrypt a DVD using DVD Decrypter and then shrink it using DVD Shrink.

Burning at 4x though took an hour an a half :-\

Oh yea, I love my Netflix account too :)

I love my 708a! Get Fuji film 4x DVD +R's and then you can burn at 8x. It works great for me!

I bought mine a month ago. I backed up all my mp3/video on 4 dvd.

Which is better dvd xcopy xpress or DVDShrink. I use xpress. it takes me about 45 min to rip the movie.

About the same with shrink. I haven't used Xcopy, because, well, shrink is free and really easy to use.

Got my NEC-2500A today have churned out a couple +Rs at 8x speed. No problems whatsoever.
I will keep my Plextor 48x though for regular CD-Rs.

Originally posted by BlindedByScience
Originally posted by PlaneCrazy
....per the rules:
You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any illegal activity.
Please keep this thread on the topic of hardware and legal uses, or it will get locked.

Thanks - B.B.S.

to clarify the postion here
it is allowed to discuss this issue
when you are backing up copyrighted material that you have purchased a license for .
(which is all you get, whenever you buy a movie or a song, the restrictions to that license are, you cant rent it (without paying royalties to the copyright owners) you cant publicly show it, and while under fair use you can ensure your access to the media in the event the original is damaged, copies for any other reason are verbotten)

Fair Use and Copyright @ Stanford University Libraries
and an important ebook (and video) freely distributed there > Free Culture by Stanford Law Professor Lawrence Lessig
"Professor Lessig shows us that while new technologies always lead to new laws, never before have the big cultural monopolists used the fear created by new technologies, specifically the Internet, to shrink the public domain of ideas, even as the same corporations use the same technologies to control more and more what we can and can't do with culture. As more and more culture becomes digitized, more and more becomes controllable, even as laws are being toughened at the behest of the big media groups. What's at stake is our freedom--freedom to create, freedom to build, and ultimately, freedom to imagine"

we all agreed to the rules when we signed up,
specifically regarding the abstention of discussing illegal activity
(regardless of our personal opinions of those laws)
one more "implied" illegal use or direct as above
and this thread is locked ;)

Thanx for understanding

I have a sony dru 510a, since last september, but I've never burned a dvd with it, but quite a few cd's though.

Originally posted by Syphon Filter
ok cheers dudes...i guess it will be good for saving Ghost images to and such like...will making formatting and reinstalling a jiffy :D

The newest version of Ghost supports direct dvd burning
(bootable with ghost exe and Immage file):D

Lite-On 851S.. backing up movies,mostly. CD burning I leave to my 52327S.. it burns anything vaguely shaped like a CD quite well (except for DVDs of course :p).

Originally posted by _G_
The newest version of Ghost supports direct dvd burning
(bootable with ghost exe and Immage file):D

Which version of ghost is that?

Back