How many of you actually "like" windows 8 now?

Please vote: (for fun)

• Total voters
Running a copy "for fun" as that's how I learn.

Once you get rid of the craptastic "start screen" and get any one of the various 3rd party start button programs back... it's not too bad.

Bottom line:

Charms bar -- 100% useless
"start screen" and the "live tiles" -- 90% useless

The only thing I really do love and enjoy is the new copy/paste setup. Being able to pause one transfer so another one speeds up is VERY useful to me when I'm moving several hundred GB's around. Seeing the performance data is a nice bonus too.

Task manager is much improved when it comes to letting you know every little thing a process is doing.

Once I got my start button back - I was pretty happy. Using Classic Shell at the moment. It's small, efficient, and once setup how I like it's slick.

I'm glad I didn't pay real money for this though -- (Yay MSDN) Trying to put a large and diverse desktop ecosystem into a few silly ass "tiles" just flat doesn't work. Not when you have 27" screen, mouse, keyboard, all that jazz.

In the table world - I'm sure it's tits. I still need to take an hour or so and fully configure the start screen with a few custom things and see if I like it better. I'm not impressed with the live tiles either. I had it queue up some music and it wasn't intuitive at all just trying to change the god damn volume or skip a track. Would have been cool if the live tile had some functionality maybe play/stop/next or something. I've caught the weatherbug app/tile giving old incorrect data for my location. I like the idea of having some live widgets and stuff like on the start page, but I want to be able to WORK there too.

Thanks for at least trying to be civil. I'm sorry but I don't really agree. There are measureable metrics involved, like # of mouse clicks to launch apps, quickness of recognition of Apps, amount of accessible apps without scrolling, etc. If you work out the metrics, and improve them, then really the old way serves no function. When it's reduced to simply preference for a way that is measurably worse, the user should just look to other options like 3rd party add-ons, or whatever.

When you've only got a few core apps you use, maybe. when you've got tons of apps/programs, the old way is much simpler and quicker.

When you've only got a few core apps you use, maybe. when you've got tons of apps/programs, the old way is much simpler and quicker.

If you have a momentum mouse or touch pad it's very easy and fast to navigate the Start Screen, I just don't see the Start Menu being any faster at launching large number of things than the Start Menu overall.

Don't you guys find it extremely frustrating trying to hover your mouse in just the right place to get the charm to appear? Half the time my charm won't appear or seems to delay. I find it's so cumbersome to launch the charm that I'd rather just turn it off completely.

My charms bar appears instantly, just make sure to hit the bottom or top of the screen before hitting the corner, then move up. Even if you go onto the next screen while going up, it'll stay up for at least a few moments.

Anyone running extended desktop on two displays hates the charm bar with a passion. Fortunately we have Classic Shell.

I have two displays on all of my machines, and I have nothing against the charm bar. Speak for yourself.

Don't you guys find it extremely frustrating trying to hover your mouse in just the right place to get the charm to appear? Half the time my charm won't appear or seems to delay. I find it's so cumbersome to launch the charm that I'd rather just turn it off completely.

When I use the charm bar, I generally use it on my secondary display, so the keyboard shortcut Windows key + C usually suffices for me. But then again, I prefer keyboard shortcuts wherever possible (since I like being productive and using a mouse is just far, far too slow).

I disagree. I can fit 60 apps on my start screen, I don't think I've ever had over 60 apps installed on any single machine of mine ever, in 17 years of windows use, I'm sure you do, let me guess, you have 61? ;) Anyway, even if you have more, scrolling sideways and seeing your app icon and clicking it is easier to me than scrolling through the start menu and clicking folders then clicking the app, along with dodging the useless icons like uninstall and maybe clicking into embedded folders. The differences are minor either way, but definitely not any worse from a pure efficiency perspective. Now if someone is just nostalgic well that's a psychological issue.

I installed a new HP unit for a 81 year old man today.

I left his home @ 12pm

I had a call @ 117pm asking me why it was telling him there was cables missing (I setup wifi).

So, it doesn't pass the old guy test totally ;)

I installed a new HP unit for a 81 year old man today.

I left his home @ 12pm

I had a call @ 117pm asking me why it was telling him there was cables missing (I setup wifi).

So, it doesn't pass the old guy test totally ;)
So what was the problem? Had the neighbor shut off his router?

I'm a heavy keyboard user, so I use following:

Win+C for charm
Win+X for control panel, run and such
Win+F for search
Win+Tab brings up the multi-tasking window on the left side or ALT+TAB for the old one
Win for the new start menu, or Metro start menu FTW!

Thanks for Windows-X, that's a lifesaver.

I have been trying really hard to give windows 8 a legitimate shot. I absolutely hate the start screen and it's pretty much completely useless. I cant stand the fact that metro apps are full screen only... For some reason, my computer will go to sleep and just not wake up, you have to hard reset it to bring it back online. There is no way to disable my touch pad except by uninstalling it...

Other than those things, it's not too bad. All in all, I just think it needs to age a bit and let better drivers and software get updated to the new OS.

I've been using windows 8 on my x1 carbon, I hated it until I learned the keyboard shortcuts and touchpad gestures. Now I think it's great, I don't get the big deal about no "start" menu Win+F gets me to where ever I need to go.

Haven't installed it yet on my desktop, so I don't know what it is like with a mouse and no touchpad gestures.

And lose for anyone who use Windows in a virtual machine.

You obviously have no experience with virtual machines. Winkey works perfectly well in virtual machines.

As I tell you in the other thread:

Its good that you find Windows 8 so great you have to invent issues that are not there to make a point. :p

You obviously have no experience with virtual machines. Winkey works perfectly well in virtual machines.

As I tell you in the other thread:

Its good that you find Windows 8 so great you have to invent issues that are not there to make a point. :p

You obviously have no experience with virtual machines. My keyboard doesn't have a win-key.

It's less annoying when it's customized a bit, but I'm honestly not seeing any awesome new features that make me see a good reason to upgrade to it. I'm officially dubbing it Windows MEh.

Heh for a moment I thought you wouldn't be able to think outside the windows-box at all :D

People often think Windows users have never seen or used anything else, helps them sleep at night to imagine that if we just saw something else we'd instantly dump windows, etc. - has little to do with reality though.

People often think Windows users have never seen or used anything else, helps them sleep at night to imagine that if we just saw something else we'd instantly dump windows, etc. - has little to do with reality though.

Windows users such as you are often very windows-oriented and cannot think about computing outside the windows context. This was clearly visible in the answer when talking about virtual machines and the poster immediately assumed I must be talking about some real old windows instead of the most common option, running the virtual machine on a linux server or on OSX.

Windows users such as you are often very windows-oriented and cannot think about computing outside the windows context. This was clearly visible in the answer when talking about virtual machines and the poster immediately assumed I must be talking about some real old windows instead of the most common option, running the virtual machine on a linux server or on OSX.

Possibly true, but the implication is that there is something wrong with people who do this. Actually it makes sense to, when not otherwise specified, assume you are dealing with the 92% of the population, vs. the 5% or 1%, for the same reason you listed Linux and OS X, but not Haiku, or Sky OS, and thousands of others. :)

I use W8 for a week now and I think Metro is here to stay though it will change with time to reduce amount of mouse movements and mouse clicks of desctop usersa. It is a bit too much now. Otherwise it is fine.

You obviously have no experience with virtual machines. My keyboard doesn't have a win-key.

This coming from a person who doesn't know that virtual machines support winkey?

Virtual machines does support winkey. If you have a keyboard that doesn't have a winkey, you have a keyboard that doesn't support the OS you are running. Thats a problem with your hardware and not the software.

Learn how to reassign keys or fail. :p

I heart it. The Win 7 Start button "bubble" has always been fugly. Wish it were gone from Win 8 Media Center. And Aero is fugly too.

7 irritates me like the current Apple ads that open by showing off the fugly iPad bookshelf. Or piano. Any Apple ad, really.

This coming from a person who doesn't know that virtual machines support winkey?

Virtual machines does support winkey. If you have a keyboard that doesn't have a winkey, you have a keyboard that doesn't support the OS you are running. Thats a problem with your hardware and not the software.

Learn how to reassign keys or fail. :p

It's good that you find your arguments so weak that you have to incite flame and troll. :D

It's good that you find your arguments so weak that you have to incite flame and troll. :D

Did you look in the mirror lately?

You answer a post I made to another person about shortcut keys for Win8, trying to put a negative spin on it claiming that the winkey usage is bad for virtual machines, where you show your lack of knowledge about virtual machines.

Then you complain about winkey usage in general because you don't have a winkey on your keyboard?

Seriously, you shouldn't say anyone else flame and troll. You are inventing issues about Win 8 and then you troll all the win8 threads with them afterwards.

Did you look in the mirror lately?

You answer a post I made to another person about shortcut keys for Win8, trying to put a negative spin on it claiming that the winkey usage is bad for virtual machines, where you show your lack of knowledge about virtual machines.

Then you complain about winkey usage in general because you don't have a winkey on your keyboard?

Seriously, you shouldn't say anyone else flame and troll. You are inventing issues about Win 8 and then you troll all the win8 threads with them afterwards.

Stop trolling. Keyboard shortcuts are no 'solution' for the UI degradation because there are several usage cases where the shortcuts are not practical.

Stop trolling. Keyboard shortcuts are no 'solution' for the UI degradation because there are several usage cases where the shortcuts are not practical.

You're the one trolling my post to Pastuch. If you don't like shortcut keys, don't use them. Just don't bother me with it.

I'm a heavy keyboard user, so I use shortcut keys whenever I can. That you don't have a keyboard with Winkey is not my problem.

You're the one trolling my post to Pastuch. If you don't like shortcut keys, don't use them. Just don't bother me with it.

I'm a heavy keyboard user, so I use shortcut keys whenever I can. That you don't have a keyboard with Winkey is not my problem.

The world revolves around Tamlin huh? I just pointed to you that the win-key is not all win generally speaking - and doesn't cover the bad changes in the GUI part. It was you who saw fit to start disproving the simple fact.

Name 5 of them, then. And make sure they're distinct.

The world revolves around Tamlin huh? I just pointed to you that the win-key is not all win generally speaking - and doesn't cover the bad changes in the GUI part. It was you who saw fit to start disproving the simple fact.

No, the world doesn't revolve around Tamlin, but when you reply to my posts to Pastuch regarding shortcuts, first how winkey is bad for virtual machines (which fully support winkey), then because you don't have a winkey on your keyboard, you are trolling my posts.

I am not interested in discussing your deficiancies.

I tried Windows 8 this summer for about a month and absolutely hated it. Yesterday I decided to upgrade my gaming pc to 8 simply for the sake of "well I have to learn it anyways, and it's only $15". While it was downloading I was reading some tips and shortcuts for 8.

I spent about two hours with it last night after I got it installed along with drivers, etc. Thanks to some of the tips and shortcuts I now can find things in 8 and I am starting to like it. I am pretty surprised to say that.

I've worked my way up from hate to just not caring. It's not the unusable POS I first considered it to be, but I see nothing in it that makes me want to move to it.

I neither love it or hate it. There are some things I like about it, and more things that I don't like about it, so in a nutshell, I'm good with Win7.

I was very happy with Win 8 CP on my laptop, but 'upgrading' to the release version didn't go well. It was very sluggish, with 100% disk use for no reason whatsoever. That has apparently been a problem for various people going back to February.

So the laptop's running Win 7 and there's no point in going through that hassle again. Maybe when SP1 is out I'll upgrade my desktop, but there's no real reason to for now. Too bad, because other than Metro, I thought Windows 8 was pretty nice.

Back