How many of u not even getting current gen console at all, & just sticking to PC gaming ?

but im not married and didnt had any kids, im sure i would have a few consoles otherwise, my parents gave me everything i wanted so i intend to extend the courtesy to my son(s) when the time comes, if they want to be peasants, oh what the hell.

Yeah... My son... he's somewhere in the middle. I guess he has a decent reason though. I built him an excellent gaming computer, and he loves it. He also uses it for mid-level audio production. He's got a half-decent Steam library, and plays games on it a bit. The problem is that all of his friends have PS4s so I got him one so he can play with the peasantry. He'll play shooters with me once in a while, Mario games on the N-platforms we own, but he's more into NBA2K-xxxx with his friends. I guess that's ok. He's happy, and I did my job. :D

My daughters though (I have three) play Borderlands (1 and 2), Quake 3 Arena, Terraria, Minecraft with me, then Zelda games on the N-Platforms. True PC+N people. I'm very proud of them. :D Oh, and retro arcade and console games via emulation.

I sold ny pc with a 1080Ti and currently gaming only on PS4 Pro.
I miss my pc, but I dont really game that much so I figured better earn some money before it becomes outdated.

I skipped xbox one and ps4 for PC gaming. When my kids friends come over to play a PC game on a wireless xbox controller they are simply blown away. Pretty comical then they are like wow this looks much nicer!

I used to game with a joystick (not with my joystick, perverts) on the 2600 & Magnavox Odessy, then on my Commodor vic 20/64/128, but was never able to get into platforms with a gamepad. I can use keyboard/mouse all day long (except for the tendonitis I've developed) but my brain must not be wired for gamepads. I've got a valve controller, supposed to be close to a keyboard/mouse, but I'm not comfortable with it. So I've never really wanted a console after the 128.

I play all games on PC.

PS4/PS3/Wii U are for exclusive.

Last edited:
I love PC gaming as much as the next guy, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the exclusives on Sony and Nintendo consoles. Most of my absolute favorite games are on their platforms only. But I also have had a preference for single player, story-rich, and exploration games as well for the past several years. If you're mostly into online FPS games or something, then I can see the lack of appeal for consoles.

I own all of the consoles and a PC. I do the vast majority of my gaming on the PC, but there are still a fair number of console exclusives that force me to give them money. That number has dropped a lot with this generation, though. Pretty much everything on the Xbox is also on the PC, so it's pretty much just Sony and Nintendo IP's. PC ports have never been better, so that's also nice. Even when they're "bad" they're still better than the console version 99% of the time, and they're $10+ cheaper to boot.

I love PC gaming as much as the next guy, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the exclusives on Sony and Nintendo consoles. Most of my absolute favorite games are on their platforms only. But I also have had a preference for single player, story-rich, and exploration games as well for the past several years. If you're mostly into online FPS games or something, then I can see the lack of appeal for consoles.

The thread isn't labeled as such, but I get a really good PC+Nintendo feel from this thread overall. That covers most ground really well, though I will admit there are a small handful of exclusives on the PS4 that I find somewhat appealing. Not enough of them to buy another one though, and I don't really want to spend extended periods playing games in my son's room :D

Just my opinion of course, but I think Sony's exclusives are better than Nintendo's at the moment. Uncharted, Horizon, Nioh, Bloodborne, Days Gone, etc.
I'd give up my Switch before I'd give up my PS4.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Just my opinion of course, but I think Sony's exclusives are better than Nintendo's at the moment. Uncharted, Horizon, Nioh, Bloodborne, Days Gone, etc.

If I didn't have such a backlog of similar (though obviously not the same in those cases) games on the PC, I might consider the same. However, in my case, I play Nintendo games because they're such a change of pace from the "big" games of the PC (or other consoles). I can hop into a Mario game for an hour or two and get a completely different experience to what I'm playing on the PC. Even Zelda games are so much different than even the action-oriented RPGs available on other platforms that they make a good change. That's not to say that I haven't thought it would be fun to play Bloodborne or Horizon though. Those look incredibly good. Then I have to look at it like this. I have three Souls games on my PC. I've played maybe 30 hours of DS3 (which I REALLY need to get back into sometime soon) barely touched the first one, and haven't touched the second at all). So in all honesty, I probably wouldn't get to Bloodborne anytime soon anyway.

I haven't owned a console since the xbox 360. I move a lot so it is easier for me to go o a pc lounge. I thought about getting nintendo switch but the games at the moment don't seem worth it to me.

The thread isn't labeled as such, but I get a really good PC+Nintendo feel from this thread overall. That covers most ground really well, though I will admit there are a small handful of exclusives on the PS4 that I find somewhat appealing. Not enough of them to buy another one though, and I don't really want to spend extended periods playing games in my son's room :D

Your PC monitor not have HDMI? That's where I play my consoles anyways; on my PC monitor and my 5.1 sound system or with headphones. I definitely prefer it over a larger TV in the living room and sitting further away anyways.

There's actually a lot of nice exclusives on PS4 though worth checking out though; Until Dawn (if you like that horror genre of movies/games), Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, the Uncharted series (1-3 collection, 4, and upcoming Lost Legacy), The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, and Nioh. I've played all of those except for Persona 5 and Nioh, but Naughty Dog has made my favorite games of all time (across any platform) with the Uncharted Series and The Last of Us. Their games alone are worth the price of the console, IMO.

Yup, same here. Pretty much the only reason to own a Switch right now is for Zelda and maybe Mario Kart. But I'm hoping this time next year they will have a lot more 1st party titles and at least rolled out Virtual Console for it.

Your PC monitor not have HDMI? That's where I play my consoles anyways; on my PC monitor and my 5.1 sound system or with headphones. I definitely prefer it over a larger TV in the living room and sitting further away anyways.

There's actually a lot of nice exclusives on PS4 though worth checking out though; Until Dawn (if you like that horror genre of movies/games), Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, the Uncharted series (1-3 collection, 4, and upcoming Lost Legacy), The Last of Us, Ratchet and Clank, and Nioh. I've played all of those except for Persona 5 and Nioh, but Naughty Dog has made my favorite games of all time (across any platform) with the Uncharted Series and The Last of Us. Their games alone are worth the price of the console, IMO.

It's not a question of connectivity. I have a TV or monitor (some cases multiple) in just about every room of the house. I've got nearly as many PCs, Nintendo consoles all over the place, portables, laptops, etc. My house is lousy with gaming technology. :D Like I mentioned though, I have a backlog of PC games, many of them similar to some of the exclusives that I'd actually want to play on the PS4. It's not that I don't want to play those, it's just that I'd prioritize the PC ones first anyway, so the likelihood that I'd get to those any time soon is very low. I may end up grabbing a PS4Pro at some point down the road if I experience a lull in the types of games I like to play. Right now though, I am absolutely SPOILED for content, and don't have enough gaming hours in a day to expand further. PC + Nintendo covers all of the bases. While it would be nice to expand outward a bit more and play some of those PS4-only games, it will have to be later when I'm starving for content (which does happen every-so-often). I suppose I could always borrow my son's when it's not in heavy use, but he also uses it to watch TV, so that's fairly rare.

I haven't mentioned the XB platform, because there's actually zero content on it that I have any interest in that's not already on the PC. I'm actually pretty surprised by this, because in the OXB and X360 days, there was always SOMETHING that I wanted to play, but couldn't without picking one up. Right now though, there is ZERO on it that I would even give a second look (aside from some multi-platform games...) If I didn't have PCs, then maybe it would be slightly more attractive as a platform.

It's not a question of connectivity. I have a TV or monitor (some cases multiple) in just about every room of the house. I've got nearly as many PCs, Nintendo consoles all over the place, portables, laptops, etc. My house is lousy with gaming technology. :D Like I mentioned though, I have a backlog of PC games, many of them similar to some of the exclusives that I'd actually want to play on the PS4. It's not that I don't want to play those, it's just that I'd prioritize the PC ones first anyway, so the likelihood that I'd get to those any time soon is very low. I may end up grabbing a PS4Pro at some point down the road if I experience a lull in the types of games I like to play. Right now though, I am absolutely SPOILED for content, and don't have enough gaming hours in a day to expand further. PC + Nintendo covers all of the bases. While it would be nice to expand outward a bit more and play some of those PS4-only games, it will have to be later when I'm starving for content (which does happen every-so-often). I suppose I could always borrow my son's when it's not in heavy use, but he also uses it to watch TV, so that's fairly rare.

I haven't mentioned the XB platform, because there's actually zero content on it that I have any interest in that's not already on the PC. I'm actually pretty surprised by this, because in the OXB and X360 days, there was always SOMETHING that I wanted to play, but couldn't without picking one up. Right now though, there is ZERO on it that I would even give a second look (aside from some multi-platform games...) If I didn't have PCs, then maybe it would be slightly more attractive as a platform.

Yeah, I definitely understand the time to play thing. I just got back into gaming a bit this year after being a full time worker, student, and parent/husband for the past 4 years. I picked up a 4K TV/monitor, GTX 1060, and a PS4 Pro after I graduated in May to kinda catch up on some of the PC games I've missed since I started school. But the FPS titles I've been trying to play on PC haven't been pulling me in nearly as much as the PS4 games so far. It seems that I'm not nearly as into online/FPS games as I used to be now and much prefer a single-player story-based games now, which the PS4 seems to be excelling at. So as always, it all comes down to your preferences and which games/genres you prioritize over the other.

But yeah, the Xbone is pretty starved for exclusive content now. I got one for my son too and he just uses it to play some games with his friends and we'll play Gears 4 or something occasionally and that's about all it's good for now. The Xbone X comes out in November, but it's still just an Xbone with no exclusive games worth picking it up for. A moderate bump in resolution and graphics isn't going to make up for lack of unique games or game play.

Yup, same here. Pretty much the only reason to own a Switch right now is for Zelda and maybe Mario Kart. But I'm hoping this time next year they will have a lot more 1st party titles and at least rolled out Virtual Console for it.

This time around I'm not really feeling the Nintendo "magic" that made their games so unique. Zelda is essentially an open-world action RPG that's been done on the other platforms for years. It's a very good one, but it's not really unique anymore. Mario Kart is just a re-release of a game they released 3 years ago. I love it, but it's not new. Splatoon is a multiplayer shooter. Again, it's good, but it's not magical or particularly different. Pokken Tournament is a re-release. ARMS sounded good, but is kind of a dud. At this point the only other big release this year is Super Mario Odyssey. Best case we might see a re-release of Smash 4, but that's still just another re-release. The Switch is going to have to have a big 2018 to keep my interest. Hopefully it does.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I have no preference on platform when it comes to gaming.

Well, I could ALMOST say that. I'll game on anything you put in front of me, if it's a good game. That said, I do actually prefer some platforms to others in general, and specifically some types of games that obviously work better using the available control methods for the system. (Shooters with M+KB for example...) I'll also admit that a modicum of sentimentality comes into it too. I do have a soft-spot for certain classic (and even some modern) systems. TurboGrafx/PCEngine for one example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I could ALMOST say that. I'll game on anything you put in front of me, if it's a good game. That said, I do actually prefer some platforms to others in general, and specifically some types of games that obviously work better using the available control methods for the system. (Shooters with M+KB for example...) I'll also admit that a modicum of sentimentality comes into it too. I do have a soft-spot for certain classic (and even some modern) systems. TurboGrafx/PCEngine for one example.

A gamer likes to play games and one single platform shouldn't define that.

A gamer likes to play games and one single platform shouldn't define that.

True. Where it all gets ugly is that many gamers (especially younger ones) can't afford all of the devices, then the ones they get become their favorites to the point that they needlessly defend and fight for their cause, even though there doesn't need to be a cause in the first place...

For me, I have favorites because of the points in my life when I got them, or how long I had to wait until I could finally get one. Many were momentous occasions in my life, so nostalgia does play an important factor. These days though, I buy what plays the games I want to play. Sometimes (like in the case of the PS4 as I mentioned above) it's just not a priority compared to the other ways I'm currently playing. Doesn't mean I wouldn't / won't pick one up eventually, or play on it if it fell in my lap. :D

Even if you can afford all of the systems, there's nothing wrong with having clear favorites. I certainly do. I think it's really only a problem when people discredit the other systems to somehow justify their decisions.

Still, I'll choose the PC over any console 99 out of 100 times. Framerate really, really matters to me. I can cope with 30fps, but I don't like it. On the PC I don't have to. At least in nearly every instance. What if a game utilizes functions that favor a d-pad, analog stick, or mouse? On the PC I can choose the proper controller for the job. Backward compatibility isn't an issue, so as my hardware gets better, so can my experience. The only times I don't choose the PC version (assuming there is one) would be in the rare instance where a PC port is broken. Doesn't happen much, even with high-profile cases like Arkham Knight and AC: Unity, but it can.

For me, consoles are there strictly for exclusives.

I will also choose the PC (or historically, a computer) over a console if it's a choice. When in a position to have more, then I have to prioritize by what has the most games I want that are not on the computer. These days, I could really have all of them if I felt like it, and I am in fact a decadent person :D but if it's going to just sit idle for a year before I can get to it, I'll get it when I'll use it. I've always favored computers. You wouldn't have been able to pry my C64 or Amiga 500 from my cold, rigor mortis-laden hands. Same with the PC really. However, consoles have come and gone in my life. I've owned most of them (short of some more obscure store-branded ones like pong variations, etc. oh, and I never had a 3DO) The ones that always stuck with me though were the Nintendo ones because of the way they complemented my computers. So yeah, those are my favorites for sure, but I will also go wherever the games are if the need arises.

The TurboGrafx was actually a weird situation for me. I always wanted one, but never actually got one. I had PCs, an Amiga, and was trucking along just fine with those. (they were much more advanced at that point anyway) I was in Software Etc. one day though, and saw them blowing out the TG16s for like $40 or something like that brand new with one or two games. I bought two of them (there's that decadence again... :D ) and my friend bought one. It was a bit primitive compared to the PC and Amiga, but I finally got to play the Legendary Axe games, Bonk games, Psychosis and other shooters that I always wanted, etc. I knew you could get a stereo output, RGB, SVideo-equivalent, etc. due to the Turbo Booster addons, so I actually probed the pins on the back until I found the audio and video signals, and built my own version of it into the plastic cover that went over the back. :D That was fun. I bought a bunch of games for it cheaply since they were blowing them out everywhere (Toys R Us etc.) So this wasn't the usual case of it being something I sought out and acquired. It was picked up long after it was relevant. But it made an impact, and remains one of my favorite systems. I bought a license for Magic Engine as soon as it could play games, then got all the Japanese games I couldn't find before. Then I bought a copy of Chi no Rondo for like $85 in like-new condition. (can't find those anymore for anywhere near that) I admit that I have a few PC Engine CD ISOs sitting around, but I wanted to own the real deal for Castlevania...

Anyway... tangent, but it popped into my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last console I owned was a Super Nintendo.

Ditto. Wanna know what was one of my first SNES games? Crappiest port ever.

Think I finally went PC the following year. X-Wing pushed me off the fence.

I love PC gaming as much as the next guy, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not checking out the exclusives on Sony and Nintendo consoles.

They haven't managed to move the needle for me in over twenty years.

There are fewer true console exclusives now than ever before. At least if you disregard the shovelware like CATZ 14 on the various Nintendo platforms.
The vast majority of high profile games make it to the PC and in terrific condition in most instances. IMO, there has never been a worse time to buy a console than right now.

Probably because you haven't really considered them. Of course if you keep your blinders on your head, then your "needle" will never move.

If you looked up any of the games I mentioned (in my next post after the one you quoted) and enjoy those genres whatsoever, then my point stands.

Ditto. Wanna know what was one of my first SNES games? Crappiest port ever.

Think I finally went PC the following year. X-Wing pushed me off the fence.

You ever play WarpSpeed? One of the best space flight games ever made, in my opinion. I would lose 4-6 hours at a time while playing this as a kid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WarpSpeed

I haven't bought a console since the PS3 and I doubt I ever will again.

I've the PS4 because of the exclusives - Horizon Zero D Dawn, Uncharted, Last of Us and such. And because Fifa and other sport games look better on TV than on PC. But the multiplatform games I play on PC.

If the switch emulator was better, I would have been PC only. But I bit on one to play zelda.

Last consoles I owned were the PS3 and Xbox360 and those will be the last consoles I'll ever own. Both of them broke down after very light use. I started gaming on the PC, and that's where I'm staying......Wolfenstein 3D on a 486 25mhz!

I have the PS4 Pro for its great exclusives and a Switch for portable gaming (can't lug the PC everywhere). Otherwise I play everything else on PC.

Probably because you haven't really considered them. Of course if you keep your blinders on your head, then your "needle" will never move..

I have always been a computer gamer, dating back to the early 80s on Atari 8-bit and Apple II systems. (I was still gaming on an Apple II way past its shelf life in 1991- software was cheap) I think I had a couple of years owning NES/SNES, but I never owned more than 2-3 games for either system. And the consoleports of games I loved like Silent Service, F-15 Strike Eagle and 688 Attack Sub were always violent disappointments compared to their computer versions. If that aftertaste still lives me in me today, so be it. I'll never look at console gaming as an equivalent experience to computer gaming. Doesn't mean I believe in PC Master Race, it's just that historically, the games that appealed to me were on *computers* not console platforms.

And I never thought I was missing anything not playing console exclusives like Halo, Gears, The Last of Us, Uncharted etc. The only console-exclusive game that I wished I could've played was Red Dead Redemption. One title in 30+ years of gaming.

And I never thought I was missing anything not playing console exclusives like Halo, Gears, The Last of Us, Uncharted etc. The only console-exclusive game that I wished I could've played was Red Dead Redemption. One title in 30+ years of gaming.

That's the point I was making. If you've actually considered (researched) those games, you wouldn't think you weren't missing anything, because they're amazing games (in addition to the other ones I specified as well) worth owning the console for if you like those genre of games whatsoever.

The killer app argument. I've gone down this road before. Star Raiders was the killer app for the Atari 8-Bit. Starfox was the killer app for SNES. Star Trek 25th Anniversary, Wing Commander, and X-Wing were the killer apps that got me on PC gaming. Maybe it's because I'm closer to fifty than thirty, but I'm far less persuadable that owning a console is a necessary must have for all gamers. I can still game my ass off without one and not be wanting.

That's the point I was making. If you've actually considered (researched) those games, <SNIP>

Why would I actually consider if I don't have the necessary hardware? It's not a $60 AAA title, it's $60 plus the cost of the console. No video game is worth that entry, I don't care how good it is.

I've bought consoles for my children, and have tried to play some of the exclusives. But after dealing with slow load times, frame rate drops, lack of modding, and high prices for games for the consoles years after release, I always go back to the PC. I still might get a PS4 for Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn, but the price would have to be right.

Back