How many % of today's PC can be windows 12 ready? And why is Windows 10 lifespan shorter than prev. version?

why do they have to officially announce by March? why can't they just announce it in June and come out as a hard launch in June / July?

So what happens when an operating system is end of life. Is it just security updates?
Is it that big of a deal breaker that there are no 3rd party security programs that can make up the difference?
Or support for other programs that are not officially updated by Microsoft isn't there other programs that can fill in 3rd party?
What would be a major drawback to using Win 10 for the next 10 years if you wanted to other than the thread director which is a Microsoft exclusive it seems?
Because if it weren't for the thread director I would go back to Win 10.

You answered all your questions with this comment. Old OS's lose features, hardware capability, new standards and many other items than just security. No vendor is going to back to Windows 7 and make it usable for today.

Not if you use a proper firewall. And you should.

Clearly didn't read my post. "other items than just security". Would love to know how a firewall will fix an old OS to run the newest hardware standards and feature releases.

You clearly didn't read mine either because my response had nothing to do with security. It had to do with loosing (non security) features.

You answered all your questions with this comment. Old OS's lose features, hardware capability, new standards and many other items than just security. No vendor is going to back to Windows 7 and make it usable for today.
That's not what I want though. I just miss the basic functionality of win 10 with the updates of win 11. You can't tell me it's too hard lol

That's not what I want though. I just miss the basic functionality of win 10 with the updates of win 11. You can't tell me it's too hard lol
It is creeping up on 9-10years old at this point already.

Maybe there is potential there though, what would you be willing to pay for legacy updates on windows? $20-30 yearly might not be too terrible for something like that.

What features, standards, and updates can't be integrated other than a thread director and security patches? Isn't 10 similar to 11 in a lot of ways?

What features, standards, and updates can't be integrated other than a thread director and security patches? Isn't 10 similar to 11 in a lot of ways?
Can't is not the right word, it's won't. No software vendor will ever continually update an original product for free unless it's fully supported by a volunteer open source crowd. A company would not exist without the new sales or revenue channels. One of the many reasons the last few years have seen a rise in subscription models of licensing to lure in more dollars.

why do they have to officially announce by March? why can't they just announce it in June and come out as a hard launch in June / July?
Because they have a responsibility to their shareholders and vendors. Dropping the announcement days or weeks before launch would eat into advertising revenue, exposure, and would leave vendors unprepared to make the transition.

Not if you use a proper firewall. And you should.
Proper firewall does not stop users from clicking on crap, period. A proper firewall only blocks incoming (and for the few who set it up) outgoing traffic. Inspection and other crap? Most people can not afford those types of firewalls and again, if an end user clicks something, or downloads something, does not matter what perimeter devices you have on your network...

Those malicious links and downloads, they tend to exploit issues with in an OS or app that are not patched or updated, thus, hiding your windows xp box behind a firewall doesnt do jack if you are using it for day to day things. Drive by attacks via websites are very common these days, and EDR solutions can literally be bypassed with a single powershell command...

Proper firewall does not stop users from clicking on crap, period. A proper firewall only blocks incoming (and for the few who set it up) outgoing traffic. Inspection and other crap? Most people can not afford those types of firewalls and again, if an end user clicks something, or downloads something, does not matter what perimeter devices you have on your network...

Those malicious links and downloads, they tend to exploit issues with in an OS or app that are not patched or updated, thus, hiding your windows xp box behind a firewall doesnt do jack if you are using it for day to day things. Drive by attacks via websites are very common these days, and EDR solutions can literally be bypassed with a single powershell command...

And that's all you need in order to not loose Windows 10 and 11 features, so I already made my point.

Back