how many monitor the ati eyefinity support?

PAo_ReVoLT

[H]ard|Gawd
i went to ati page and it is shown 6 monitors max (at 8192 x 8192)

but as far as i know at this point ATI only support 1 GPU for eyefinity...

so my question is currently ati will support only 3 monitors or 6 monitors?

*side question: if i setup eyefinity will it act like giant panel in window mode or multi-display (let's say if i maximize a window will it expand across eyefinity?)

thx

ps. sorry for poor english

Hi Pao,

With eyefinity, you can have it act like either one giant panel or 3-6 individual displays. It depends on how you set it up. The demos on the ATI page are using a special version of the 5870 and 5970s that have six outputs on the back of them with 1 card. All six outputs though are display port outputs so you might need a powered active adaptor to hook up to six monitors.

These cards are not for sale yet but are suppose to be released soon. Most people are estimating they will be released with ATI 'refreshes' the 58xx series to 'add value' to provide better competition against Fermi. IE: If Ati can drive six monitors 1 one single card versus Fermi requiring SLI just to run 3 monitors. I would estimate you need to wait roughly one to three months but that's a guess before those cards are released. I hope it arrives sooner but who knows.

If you crossfired 2-5870s, you'd have six outputs. At the moment, eyefinity support for crossfire'd cards is in a semi-'beta' phase if you will. Its mostly available via hotfixes and doesn't work with every game. Its a bit hit-and-miss.

thx Wburshnall

so i think it will be a wait time for me, i'm currently own 4870x2 in xfire but wanting to upgrade to DX11.

WBurchnall, do you know if 5770 CF will support 3 1680x1050 monitors for BC2? I don't want to spend to much on a 5870 right now is why.

It's hard to say to be honest drew726 since the game is still in beta at the moment. Some people are already running BF: BC2 in eyefinity and eyefinity definately works with this title which is always good to know..

I watched a review on youtube of the game running on a 5770 a while ago. Lemme see if I can find the link. Yep, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAr-Ph8HBss&feature=player_embedded#at=12

That might give you some better insight. The review was done at 1920x1080x2aax2af(dont ask why the af is so low). Anyways, the fps the reviewer was getting was a pretty constant 80 fps. If you tripled the resolution and turned off the 2xaa, you should probably be able to get at least 35-40 fps with an eyefinity setup imo. Especially since your actually not trying to run at 1920x1200 and choosing 1680x1050 for your three monitors, I think it might have enough power. If you were going for 1920x1200 I'd probably vote for moving up to the 5850 or if you wanted more AA.

That being said, BF: BC2 uses CPU Physics for its game engine which makes the game a bit more CPU demanding. So if you have an older dual-core processor that's not overclocked, there's a small chance you might be more processor bottlenecked than GPU. If you have a Core2 Quad or Core i7 processor, you should be fine for processing power.

Last edited:
It's hard to say to be honest drew726 since the game is still in beta at the moment. Some people are already running BF: BC2 in eyefinity and eyefinity definately works with this title which is always good to know..

I watched a review on youtube of the game running on a 5770 a while ago. Lemme see if I can find the link. Yep, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAr-Ph8HBss&feature=player_embedded#at=12

That might give you some better insight. The review was done at 1920x1080x2aax2af(dont ask why the af is so low). Anyways, the fps the reviewer was getting was a pretty constant 80 fps. If you tripled the resolution and turned off the 2xaa, you should probably be able to get at least 35-40 fps with an eyefinity setup imo. Especially since your actually not trying to run at 1920x1200 and choosing 1680x1050 for your three monitors, I think it might have enough power. If you were going for 1920x1200 I'd probably vote for moving up to the 5850 or if you wanted more AA.

That being said, BF: BC2 uses CPU Physics for its game engine which makes the game a bit more CPU demanding. So if you have an older dual-core processor that's not overclocked, there's a small chance you might be more processor bottlenecked than GPU. If you have a Core2 Quad or Core i7 processor, you should be fine for processing power.

My comp is on my sig, but i'm considering purchasing a 5770 strictly for the reason that I figure one day I'll CF it and set up eyefinity. It's not that I don't want 1920x1200, but I want desk space.

imo eyefinity is really only an option to the 58xx 59xx series. spend the extra 100 bucks for a 5850.

why drop 600-1000 bucks on monitors when you cant even have eye candy?

I have 3x P2310Hs and 2x HD5850s

that is 3 monitors and 2 GPUs

ATI 9.12 HF drivers

10.1 doesn't support eyefinity + crossfire. :mad:

Hoping 10.2 does and is coming out soon enough? 9.12 and 10.1 need to merge ;)

I have 3x P2310Hs and 2x HD5850s

that is 3 monitors and 2 GPUs

ATI 9.12 HF drivers

10.1 doesn't support eyefinity + crossfire. :mad:

Hoping 10.2 does and is coming out soon enough? 9.12 and 10.1 need to merge ;)

I still don't want to pay for the high premium for a 5850..and want to CF 5770's, but eyefinity was definitely something I wanted to do, just not right now.

I still don't want to pay for the high premium for a 5850..and want to CF 5770's, but eyefinity was definitely something I wanted to do, just not right now.

sure, I was just giving my experience .02c

Two 5770s would do great and they will run Eyefinity great too.

I bought a 5850 right when you could, straight off of a XFX rep here on [H], and just lately picked up another one to future proof my computer. (I had my last system for 5-6 years, and I plan on doing the same with this system)

Don't even think I had the 5770 option when I did my 1st. but mostly I think I was thinking I wouldn't need more then one 5850, but after Eyefinity and a few games like Crysis and BC2 made me think twice about getting another 5850 for the extra eye candy :D

the options are there for you to pick up two 5770s and monitors for much cheaper then I did and only lacking a few FPS.

Curently a single card can support 3, there is a 6dp card in the works for 6 monitors in one card, and the possibility for scaling over multi cards is there, and with 4 cards in one box you could shoot for up to 24 monitors, although AMDs demonstration with that ran on Linux if I remember correctly and is unlikely to be supported through their standard drivers for a while yet.

hi there,

i have read driver preview from kyle, so is it now possible to eyefinity 6 monitor? let says... 2x 5970

thx

hi there,

i have read driver preview from kyle, so is it now possible to eyefinity 6 monitor? let says... 2x 5970

thx

For 6 monitors, I believe you'll need to wait for the 5870 Eyefinity6 card to be released. It has 6 mini-DisplayPorts that can all drive a separate monitor. It will also come with 2GB of Vram, which will help immensely with that high of a resolution.

For 6 monitors, I believe you'll need to wait for the 5870 Eyefinity6 card to be released. It has 6 mini-DisplayPorts that can all drive a separate monitor. It will also come with 2GB of Vram, which will help immensely with that high of a resolution.

should be right around fermi time right..?

i was hoping to pick up one of those new 5870 with the 2gb ram when they come out and pair that with my current 5870 for crossfire....im curious to know if there might be any problems using that as a crossfire config, or whether the memory on the 2 cards should be equal ( id hate for it to use the lower and end up being 1gb/card)

i was hoping to pick up one of those new 5870 with the 2gb ram when they come out and pair that with my current 5870 for crossfire....im curious to know if there might be any problems using that as a crossfire config, or whether the memory on the 2 cards should be equal ( id hate for it to use the lower and end up being 1gb/card)

The way it should work is that your 2GB card will act just like the 1GB card. For the type of rendering that Crossfire does, both cards have to have the exact same frame buffer image/data(the 2GB card will only hold enough information to fit in the 1GB card). It'll work, but you won't be getting the benefit of 2GB.

Back