How many laptop user's use a full size keyboard?

ullyeus

Supreme [H]ardness
Saluations!

I have recently moved quite a bit aware from the traditional computer systems to using nearly primarily my laptops.

Now here is the question I put forth;

How many of you still find it useful to connect a full size keyboard to your laptop while at home or stationary?

I myself always have used the full sized keyboard but I am starting to reconsider my decision. The keyboard just seems to clutter up my desk and my overall typing speed is probably only down to maybe 40 from 50 while using a laptop.

For those of you who opt to use just the laptop do you have a secondary monitor you normally hook up?

yeah... a weird question maybe but im just contemplating if I will regret selling my keyboards (all very expensive)

Well my Thinkpads both have full-size keyboards already, so no need to hook one up.

My laptop has a full sized keyboard but I still setup a desktop type workstation when i'm at home. I find the keyboard on the laptop pretty decent but not as comfortable (the palm rest on the laptop gets hot etc.

So I have my laptop on my desk on the far side, then I plug in trackball, keyboard, printer, external HDD, monitor, network, power etc. and I use it like that. It's more comfortable and I find the LCD screen isn't really that great (light leakage half way up which anoys me) and it's a bit small for me (14.1" XGA) compared to using my old 21" monitor at the same resolution. It's just more comfortable for me to use my laptop at home setup as a desktop machine.

On the go it's quite effecitve though, the keyboard is pretty good. Laptop keyboards have gotten a bit better it seems like from some I remember seeing a few years back.

The [H]orde needs You!

On my Thinkpads, I've never needed another keyboard...even on the X30 which have a smaller keyboard.

On my Toshibas, though, I need a seperate keyboard....not due to size, but due to the fucked up layout. I try to jump, and I hit the tilda and end up in the console. So, since I'm going to be using this for gaming at lan parties, I have a feeling I'll be using a spare MS Natural Keyboard at LANs.

On a related note...in my sig, the A4 shows a Logitech MX510. The T42P shows UltraNav. Why? Because Trackpoints > Touchpads. I don't need a mouse w/ a Trackpoint

if i had a docking station for my laptop i probobly would, but i dont see a point in connecting anything except a mouse to it as it is.

I haven't found a way to have full MX1000 functionality at the same time as my MX duo keyboard is connected on my desktop. When I finally get a lappy, I dont think that will change (but I wont have to use my MX keyboard when I have a lappy).

Use an old IBM battleship keyboard with mine when i'm at home
or on an extended trip (over 5 days)

The keyboard on the lappy is nice, but none of them have the feel of a solid clickedy old school IBM AT keyboard

iI started using it back in college to drive my roomate insane (worked great) and have just never gone back to a soft touch.

My Laptop resides in a docking station under my Monitor...so yes I always have it hooked up to an external keyboard at home.

no actually, i dont find a need to use an external keyboard except for one reason, and one reason only.
Using the num pad.
I dont care what setup the laptop has, you cant use the number pad like you can on a regular keyboard. Therefore, when my lappy is on a desk someplace, i wip out the keyboard and mouse. (I almost always want to use a mouse...just cant get used to touch pads)

The keyboard on my ole compaq armada 7792dmt is about the same size as a desktop keyboard. Don't know about the armada 7800 6366 model coming today though

Back