How many here keep spare ram?

Howie

Limp Gawd
I recently tried adding some more ram and unfortunately the new sticks that came back from RMA needs to be sent back again. I'm a bit impatient and I was thinking of buying a new ram kit. With that in mind, my current motherboard only accepts maximum of 16gb ram and with memory so cheap, I am thinking of buying a 32gb kit (4x8gb) that can be used for a future build. Seems like a waste having 16gb of ram sitting there unused though. I'm thinking of upgrading my system but I might wait for Haswell. I heard that Haswell might support DDR4. Thoughts?

Can't speak for DDR4, but seems like I end up buying more ram because of incompatability.

Ram is cheap, but I'd rather invest in beer.

I heard that Haswell might support DDR4.

I believe haswell will use DDR4 in 2014 on server platforms but not on the desktop. And remember that DDR4 will be incompatible with DDR3 motherbaords, sockets and CPUs.

Are you overclocking your ram controller? Try running your ram at the BIOS Auto setting. This usually will be the fastest speed your processor officially supports.

I wouldn't. But you could always sell off two of the 8GB sticks.

Don't you have spare RAM you can use now? Just get 2x2GB kit or pair of 4 GB sticks. $35-$40 is a cheap price to pay to use the comp if you need it now.

i keep a spare kit of 8GB ddr3 in my closet for trouble shooting and for backup. its so cheap, why not? :)

Ram, motherboards, video, cpu's, etc for testing. Doesnt everybody?! :eek:

by the time you will be ready to use the ram, ram twice as good or twice as cheap will be available

Back