how many dvd burners can you run at once?

r0ckstarbob

Limp Gawd
how many dvd burners do you think you can get to run on the same machine at the same time, providing that

a. you're burning data dvd's at x4 speed from either a local source (see ide/SATA hdd) or a gigabit ethernet network source (another computer on a direct gigabit ethernet connection (GBLAN cards in both machines).

and

b. all your dvd drives will have a 8Mb cache.

kick that one over and lemme know what you think.

i want to build a box with multiple dvd burners and (potentially) offer a data archiving service. i've done the initial workup for a box to do this, but thought i'd toss it out there to see what do you think it would take to build an archiving box capable of fixing the data of entire hard drives to some kind of archivable static media? (dvds?)

someone already suggested tape drives for this project and i'm looking into that option. but for now, i would like this thread to focus on what would it take to get say... 4 dvd burners going at the same time on the same machine?

than x

well if you employed a DVD duplicator controller......9

http://www.caloptic.com/index.html

pretty sure your limited to just duplication though
there are also cheaper places to buy that Ive seen, but dont have a link handy

long time no see ;)

thanks. it's been awhile.

yeah, i'm not duplicating dvds, i want to archive data...

good to see you. glad to see you made Mod!

=>

Originally posted by r0ckstarbob
thanks. it's been awhile.

yeah, i'm not duplicating dvds, i want to archive data...

good to see you. glad to see you made Mod!

=>

Damn it has been awhile... Czar has been a mod ever since I've been here (before my registration date) :D

EDIT: Now I think of it Im not sure... ahh well..

thanx :D

so your trying to burn different data sets to each drive concurrently?

you got it. i'm still working on the semantics of it and how to parse the information or whatnot, but thats the idea. to offer an archiving service to my clients of some kind - to come by once a month or whatever and do a data archive. using multiple burners at the same time to speed up the process...

well, I'll describe how that is "typically" done
in very very broad strokes

generally if its a backup over a network, its mirrored\imaged to a RAID array (one with redundancy), and then written to tape, since thats the arrays only function, you get the high throughput of (at an enterpise level) Fibre Channel or Gigabit Ethernet, for the transfer\imaging and then depending on the need, a weekly full backup and daily incremental, Veritas is a leading software provider for that sort of ap.

This is NAS and SAN territory. Check out Iron Mountain
and "off site backup" "off site storage"

typically services that provide this outside of an enterprise also employ an encryption scheme, and often 24\7 online access to the data in the event of disaster.

As far as automated DVD goes...
Im not currently aware of any solutions, but if you had a number of clients pulling the data of a SAN...
its the concurrent burning part that Im not sure about, and IDE is sort of limited in that respect also, it seems a SCSI solution might be better if it wasnt for the fact there are few DVD SCSI burners
the other problem being running concurrent instances of the same burning software and automating the selection of data at the target source

Back