How many buttons do you use on your mouse in games?

How many buttons do you use on your mouse in games?

• 0 - Are you for real?

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 1 - Seriously?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 - And your mouse also has a ball

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 3 - Classical nerd

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • 4 - Getting schwifty

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • 5 - Multi button action hero

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • 6 - I'm running out of fingers

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • 7 - deadly sins

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 8 + - arachnoid

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
Use all 6 (I think - not counting DPI buttons) on my G502 mouse.

I'm prolly weird, but I like to stick to the following general controls depending on the game:

Thumb button - Misc special actions depending on the game, like spotting/marking in CoD Warzone
Forward thumb button - Melee actions, flashlight, grenades
Backward thumb button - Prone/crouch
Middle mouse button - Reloading

I use 3 of the 9 buttons on my G604. I have 2 of the side buttons mapped as middle mouse click so technically 4.
Back in the day when I was playing an FPS game and scoping in with a sniper rifle was middle click, I would sometimes scroll a little and it would activate weapon switch.

I just bought the new COD Black Ops and I am going to start using a few more buttons on the mouse.

I've got like six buttons on this mouse. I use them all. In World of Warcraft, I use them all, plus ctrl and shift modifiers. I could raid entirely without the use of a keyboard.

Just 4. Left and right click and my 2 thumb buttons, usually 1 for grenade and the other for melee lol....

When I use my G502 I do admit to using the "sniper button" occasionally. Don't really miss it when I'm using a mouse without it but when it's there it's nifty.

The cheap mouse I got from Deal Extreme has 5 buttons. I use all 5 + scroll wheel.

Right Button.
Left Button.
Wheel Up.
Wheel Down.

That's it. Not even wheel button is used. I like my controls simple and transparent, an no chance of error. (wheel down can produce occasional errors for example...) My left hand on the keys does more heavy lifting with buttons.

I'm between 2 and 3. In most games I only use left and right click. Left of course attack, right being aim / zoom / similar function. In a few games where there is a weapon wheel I use the middle button for that. I don't like using it for anything else, as I cannot reliably and confidently press it. The rest of the buttons are even worse. It feels awkward to try to press any side buttons, I need to focus on it and I easily mix them up*. Even when using the back / forward buttons during browsing I'd accidentally switch to the other one without noticing it.

*for the same reason I cannot get used to game controllers of consoles. I always mix up the buttons levers and switches in the heat of the action.

Mouse 1
Mouse 2
Scroll Wheel
Press down on scroll wheel
I have a back/forward button that I map for some games. In CoD MW I use the forward button to mount my weapon on a surface. I know I used these in Watch Dogs 1/2 for something to.

I never graduated from using the arrow keys for movement to WASD, so I use a mouse with a lot of buttons to hide the fact I can't reach most of the keys on my KB.

Left/Right/Middle Click
Middle Mouse Left/Right
Four Side Buttons

For a FPS:
Left Click: Shoot
Right Click: Aim
Middle Click: Melee
Middle Mouse Left: Non-Lethal Grenade/Skill 1
Middle Mouse Right: Lethal Grenade/Skill 2
Side Buttons (Top Row): Action & Reload
Side Buttons (Bot Row): Jump & Crouch

I use RShift for Prone (if necessary) and \ for Sprint (If Double Forward to Sprint isn't a thing). That's generally enough buttons to get things done; I use the number pad for anything else for the most part.

I usually use the middle mouse button click for throwing grenades in FPS games. But 5 buttons mostly in all games. 6 is possible if I need more.

Left Click
Right Click
MIddle button
3 more customizable

Mice: Corsair Ironclaw Wireless

I use a controller for everything unless it's a table top RPG or a MMO with a ton of spells.
I like mice with the center button as a click and left and right scroll on the mouse button and about 3 buttons on the thumb.

Four.

LMB - Fire
RMB - Scope
MMB - Switch Weapons
Back Webpage - Stimpacks or whatever health potion, etc there is in game

5 + wheel

usually a left = fire, right = jump, middle = duck, thumb is aim, pinky is sprint or something else. wheel weapon changes.

unless its mech warrior online its

left = group 1
right = group 2
middle = override shutdown
pinky group 3
thumb group 4

wheel zoom

7 plus the wheel.

For me it's usually setup like this:
1: Fire
2: Jump
3 (Wheel Button): Action/Use/Open
Lower Thumb Button: Aim
Upper Thumb Button: Sprint
Top Thumb Button: Melee
Both buttons to the left of 1: Grenades
Wheel: Swap weapons

My G502 actually has 8 buttons, but I map both of the little inset buttons to grenades. It's too easy to get those mixed up in the heat of the moment, so I just have them both do the same thing.

I use 5:

Left Click - Shoot
Right Click - ADS
Mouse Wheel Press - Primary Gadget
Side Button 1 - Push to talk
Side Button 2 - Melee

This is for Siege mainly since it's the only thing I play regularly.

5 is the perfect amount for me. Anything more and my brain will get jumbled on too many buttons to choose from, ha.

Left/Right/Middle/Top thumb/Bottom thumb

I then combo with the holding down of Shift and Control on the thumb clicks to give me 4 more keybinds.

Back when I played an MMO, I'd use mice designed for that purpose and I'd use every single button that was available. Since I don't play any MMO's now, its generally 4. Sometimes 5 depending on the game.

Last edited:
If the wheel isn't counted, then 3. Two mouse buttons and the side button is acting as PTT. Not really the game itself, but it's game related.

Interesting that most people aren't using many. I'm guessing that most people are mapping most functions to the KB instead and your left hand is doing most of the work?
I started as an arcade and console player to to me my left hand is for movement and the right is for buttons/functions/etc. I'd take a mouse with even more buttons if they were spaced out properly. Most of the ones with loads of buttons pile them into one spot. I'd love a mouse with 4 buttons across for my ring finger and pinkie, too.

Logitech G604, use all the primary and some GShift buttons. Doom Eternal force me to actually start to use them for me to survive, age thing maybe. GShift usage I've find cumbersome, wish there was a dedicated button on the right side of the mouse for this vice choosing one of the other buttons for it. Over 14 buttons including GShift modified buttons.

I selected 5 at first. left click, right click, two side buttons and mouse wheel. Than I remember I also press the mouse wheel for an additional. Changed it to 6.

It depends on what I'm playing but I tend to play MMOs more than anything lately. I use the normal left and right, scrollwheel button and all four thumb buttons for a total of seven.

Back tends to be my PTT. In Squad I use Fwd for Map. RMB=scope, still trying to find targets to see if the LMB works. Scroll wheel lets me pick shovel and bandaids.

Controller for everything except point and click games or a MMO with multiple dots and hot spells.

Last edited:
Use all 6 (I think - not counting DPI buttons) on my G502 mouse.

I'm prolly weird, but I like to stick to the following general controls depending on the game:

Thumb button - Misc special actions depending on the game, like spotting/marking in CoD Warzone
Forward thumb button - Melee actions, flashlight, grenades
Backward thumb button - Prone/crouch
Middle mouse button - Reloading
I use them all. I remap the DPI buttons. If you don't count the DPI buttons the G502 has 8:
  1. Sniper
  2. Page Forward
  3. Page Back
  4. Left Click
  5. Right Click
  6. Middle Click
  7. Mouse Wheel Left
  8. Mouse Wheel Right
In answer to the poll, it depends on the game, but I will use up to all 10 on my G502. I usually end up using 6 in much the same fashion as T4rd does. The rocker buttons on the mouse wheel can be a little hard to use effectively. In Titan Quest I use them for my potions.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
All 8! G300s is the bestest mouse ever! 💙

mouse buttons.jpg

Depending on the game, all those buttons will be assigned to something.

I use them all. I remap the DPI buttons. If you don't count the DPI buttons the G502 has 8:
  1. Sniper
  2. Page Forward
  3. Page Back
  4. Left Click
  5. Right Click
  6. Middle Click
  7. Mouse Wheel Left
  8. Mouse Wheel Right
In answer to the poll, it depends on the game, but I will use up to all 10 on my G502. I usually end up using 6 in much the same fashion as T4rd does. The rocker buttons on the mouse wheel can be a little hard to use effectively. In Titan Quest I use them for my potions.
Wow, totally missed or forgot that the wheel moves left and right too. I gotta try to put those to use now! Could have just used them playing through Metro Exodus too, I'm sure.

I am a lefty, and my Logitech G900 (most ambidextrous even) only puts the extra "thumb" buttons where right handers need them. I should research a better mouse, but the G900 has treated me well otherwise.

4-5 lately, though I have a Logitech G600 and when I played WoW I used all of the buttons on it. I keep meaning to map the buttons for productivity stuff, but I haven't been using my PC for anything productive lately, either lol.

I know, old thread, but I wasn't around when these threads were alive. So I am going to post =).

I am a 5 button kinda guy.

Back