How many 2.4C do the 300FSB dance?

How many chips are out there that will do 300FSB? Is it common, or quite rare? I just bought a 2.4C off a guy here that was doing 302FSB at 1.6V on air, and was just curious to how common that is. Coming from the chip in my profile that is only dual prime stable at 3.15 ghz, this is a big step up :p

I'm doing the 332FSB dance right now....

Seriously though, I used to have a couple 2.4C's that would do 3.6Ghz....L311...both of them. I would say they are only about 1% of the chips out there...that's a SWAG BTW.

i think the cpu in my system could do 300fsb with better watercooling. im content with 3.4ghz though. overall id say less than 5% of 2.4c are 300+fsb stable.

and even an m0 wont garantee a high overclock like that, ive heard of some m0's struggling to hit 3.0

Mine will do 300MHz FSB, its an early Week 10 of 2003, Malaysian D1 chip (L310A735).

Judging by what people have got on their chips, only early Malaysian e.g L309, L310, L311 D1s and early m0's do the dance. Later weeks dont seem as much as a sure bet, but regardless, it is quite rare.

Nitro16 - let me tell you a secret about L310 and L311 chips. That was a short period of time when 2.4C demand was very high and Intel needed more. These chips would have been speed binned much higher but ended up being 2.4C's so that demand could be met. These chips should have been at least 3.0C's. L310 and L311 chips have ALWAYS been kickass....I had two, a L311A744 and an L311A443....both did 300+ FSB.

I can do the 250 dance til the cows come home but I can't even get on the floor at 251. It wont even POST.
I have no idea what the problem is.

** me steals the roomates screenshot again :D **
300fsb.JPG

AMD T-type said:
** me steals the roomates screenshot again :D **
http://www.iupload.net/062004/300fsb.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

lmao...quit stealing my pics :p

i miss my 2x256mb sticks of Mushkin, was never able to hit 3.6ghz again after going with 1gb of ram :(

That cpu is an M0 stepping SL6Z3 with air cooling (mcx4000)

I've got an L317. Anyone heard about their overclockability? I've had brick wall issues getting past 250MHz FSB. 250 boots fine, 251 won't even POST.

freecableguy said:
I'm doing the 332FSB dance right now....

Seriously though, I used to have a couple 2.4C's that would do 3.6Ghz....L311...both of them. I would say they are only about 1% of the chips out there...that's a SWAG BTW.

ES don't count :p

Mine can hit 300MHz with 1.7v... but only stable long enough to run Aquamark3 or 3DMark03 for bragging rights. The thing tops out at 275MHz, and is where I currently run it... at 1.55v.

mine ran 3.6 on 1.55V on air! idle temp was about 41.5C on bios v2.0. i bought my CHIP on jun/jul 2003. chip revision i gotta go back home to see it :D

rtierney said:
I've got an L317. Anyone heard about their overclockability? I've had brick wall issues getting past 250MHz FSB. 250 boots fine, 251 won't even POST.

What memory are you using? This sounds more like the Winbond CH5 memory issue with i865/i875 boards. I had the same issue when I had Winbond CH5 at 266MHz FSB (5:4), 267 wouldnt ever post, regardless of settings, voltages and dividers. As soon as I slapped my BH5 in the wall was gone and I could hit the 300MHz FSB Im at now.

Nitro16 said:
What memory are you using? This sounds more like the Winbond CH5 memory issue with i865/i875 boards. I had the same issue when I had Winbond CH5 at 266MHz FSB (5:4), 267 wouldnt ever post, regardless of settings, voltages and dividers. As soon as I slapped my BH5 in the wall was gone and I could hit the 300MHz FSB Im at now.

Corsair XMS PC3200. Two sticks of 256MB.

I've put the memory settings all the way down to stock speeds and I still can't post at 251. However, I can really turn up the memory (2, 6, 3, 3) and I can run all day long (rock stable) at just a few MHz less on the FSB. I'm currently at 246MHz FSB because 250 was being a little baby and blue screening when I booted up. Voltage (both vcore and vmem) seems to have zero effect on stability or what I can boot at.
For some reason, I want to blame it on my generic 350W PSU.
Any ideas?

Mine did over 300 but with my mobo Asus P4C800-E Dlx (too afraid to do the droop mod) if would crash whenever i did anything b/cthe voltage would drop down something like .2V :eek:

i've got a good 2.4c too.

I run it all day @ 275 1:1, i can 5:4 it with 284 all day too. I am watercooled, but i did drop a couple ice cubes in my res one time and got it to boot at 292 1:1, which was crazy....im amazed the ram actually even made it, i was able to run some 3dmark benches but the fps started to drop bad in the outerspace benchmark. Good ole' Adata PC4000 (250mhz) i took a gamble on this stuff, tried it out, and still have it...its working wonders.

oh and btw..im only using a Abit is7 (865PE) i think a max3 would take me to 3.6 from what i read....any comments on teh max3 ?

1_G.sized.jpg

2_G.sized.jpg

rtierney said:
Corsair XMS PC3200. Two sticks of 256MB.

I've put the memory settings all the way down to stock speeds and I still can't post at 251. However, I can really turn up the memory (2, 6, 3, 3) and I can run all day long (rock stable) at just a few MHz less on the FSB. I'm currently at 246MHz FSB because 250 was being a little baby and blue screening when I booted up. Voltage (both vcore and vmem) seems to have zero effect on stability or what I can boot at.
For some reason, I want to blame it on my generic 350W PSU.
Any ideas?

What version of Corsair XMS PC3200 are they? On the heatspreaders it should say the version. i.e v1.1, v1.2, v2.1 etc

Unfortunately if your memory is of the CH5 variety there is no fix, aside from buying new memory.

Is it just me or does Abit EQ blow? I hate it.

I liked using Winbond Hardware doctor more, but Im too lazy to switch back now. I just dont like the graphical interface...

yo, i have a max 3, i've got a paired gig that can do 281 fsb 1:1, lemme get this straight though, is this thread looking for people going over 300+ at 5:4? teehee.

flip

edit: how are you telling if the chip's an L311 or another?

I have access to the following:

Six P4 2.4c's from various release periods
512MBx2 Dual Channel sets of:
- Early GEIL PC4000
- GEIL PC3500
- Corsair TwinX 3200LLPT v.1.1
- various other lower end DC sets
ABIT IC7-MAX3, IS7
ASUS P4P800E
Swifty MCX478-V, Zalman CNPS7000A-cu, SLK900
Danger Den TDX based WC setup
Swifty H20-8600P WC setup

Ok, so I'm ready to see if any of these 2.4c's I've got can get down and boogie. However, Imma O/C newb. Long time lurker so I understand the basics and concepts but I've never _really_ pushed a system before.

Last night I took my MAX3 and the GEIL PC4000 and tried for a 250fsb stock vcore 5:4 setting and the system hung halfway through 2001SE. I backed back down to 240fsb and everything has been running smooth as butter. 12 hours of Prime95 stable and higest temp I've seen is 50c but mostly in the 47c range.

I have already flashed to the lastest BIOS. I know enough to set AGP/PCI to Fixed but my real weak area is understanding memory settings. I really think that is what is keeping me from even getting to 250fsb this first go around.

I understand the 1:1, 5:4, 3:2 issue (basically, I still don't know what math to use to figure out what say 3:2 at 275fsb would mean my RAM is running at). But I've left the memory setting to "By SPD" from lack of understanding of those four numbers. You know, the 6-2-2-5 and such. I think lower is better (i.e. tighter, i.e. faster) but I've read that you need to "loosen" up your timings during O/C till you settle in on your FSB and then try to tighten them up.

I've tried to read through many articles/posts but I'm still clueless as to what I should do to try to push things further.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

What I would do is put the Corsair LL in, since that should be BH-5, drop it down to a 3:2 divider and leave memory timings by SPD, then take the FSB as far as it will go.

Nitro16 said:
What version of Corsair XMS PC3200 are they? On the heatspreaders it should say the version. i.e v1.1, v1.2, v2.1 etc

Unfortunately if your memory is of the CH5 variety there is no fix, aside from buying new memory.

I'm not sure off-hand. I'll check when I get home and reply.

I put the Corsair in and set the divider to 3:2. I also changed the timings to 3-7-4-4, as loose as I could (I did this before I read your post or I would have left them at SPD).

I also bumped the VCore up to the max "safe" value of 1.65 with the anticipation of eliminating that as a problem and then bumping it back down if everything was stable.

It successfully passed 2001SE at 250fsb but it failed after 15 minutes during Prime95.

<insert random stupid question about whether Prime95 is important if everything else works right> :)

Seriously though, I know enough to know that if Prime95 isn't stable, my O/C isn't.

Temps were in the 41c range at idle and 49c was the highest temp I saw even though I didn't try to stress load it extensively.

I backed the VCore back down to 1.55 and 2001SE complete a full pass but Prime95 fails almost immediately.

I'm not good enough to know what this tells me other than Temps probably aren't the issue. I still think it's a memory issue but that's just a _hunch_.

Again, suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated. I've learned much already.

I'm running my 2.4C @ 3.0 Ghz (250FSB 5:4) and stock voltage. I'm pretty sure it can go a lot higher but my RAM (2X256 Corsair 3200LL v1.2) is limiting it to a max of 261FSB stable. :mad: Any higher and it won't boot. Interestingly it boots up to 263FSB if I remove one of the two sticks of RAM. :confused:

Edit: forgot to mention, I'm using an Abit IC7-G motherboard.

Mine did 3.6Ghz - 300FSB. However, lately, with the summer heat, I've been running it at 3.45Ghz. I am on aircooling with only 1.6v also.

I'm scared of upgrading to 2x512 from my 2x256. Even though I'm only running at 3:2 ratio = DDR400. I'm thinking about doing a total overhaul of my system. I'm getting bored with it. Maybe socket 939 around X-mas.

Details at: http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/overclock/ - benches & screenshots

screen3666.jpg

Whats the difference between the versions of XMS RAM?
Should I consider buying new RAM in hopes that'll unlock my 250MHz FSB brick wall?

I'm rock solid at like 248MHz FSB at stock voltage and my temps are very low (usually under 120F under load).

I'm convinced that I can push my CPU beyond 250 FSB, but I don't know owhat my holdup is.

Ok, it seems I can't get 250fsb stable in Prime95 no matter what.

Very disappointing. I really think it's the RAM that's holding me back, not the proc or the mobo.

I've got a buyer for my GEIL PC4000 so I'm thinking about giving another Dual Channel set a try. So the questions are:

1. Is there a way to take memory out of the equation? (i.e. 3:2 divider with one stick installed and up the DRAM volt to 2.7 or some such)

2. Do you think my problem really is memory or, put another way, do you think some other type of memory such as Mushkin would help? (I know the obvious answer here is "it might" but I'm really looking for a more definative answer if possible)

As always, TIA

-----

I'm going to move on and try some of the other 2.4c's but this is my own personal one so I was really hoping for more. Oh well.

I have a max 3 with the VDIMM stablization fix and vTT fix. Took my 1gb OCZ PC4000 Gold up to 292 stable 1:1 on my 2.4C. Hit 312fsb 5:4, haven't tried higher.

I hit the 250 FSB wall with my Corsair XMS 3200 as well. I thought for sure that it was my CPU, since people always bitch about the 2.6c's overclockability. But when I put in a gig of cheapo GeIL 3200 I could push the chip up to 265 FSB, and run Prime95 all day. I wonder what it could do with a little PC3700 in there.

I knew I should have gotten a 2.4c...

RoundelMike said:
I hit the 250 FSB wall with my Corsair XMS 3200 as well. I thought for sure that it was my CPU, since people always bitch about the 2.6c's overclockability. But when I put in a gig of cheapo GeIL 3200 I could push the chip up to 265 FSB, and run Prime95 all day. I wonder what it could do with a little PC3700 in there.

I knew I should have gotten a 2.4c...

I wish I would have gotten your 2.6C instead my of 2.8C :p

It's not his CH-5 ram, it's his motherboard. IC7 series is CRAP. Period. Pre nov 2003 they have a faulty MC64 that causes ram voltage flucts, not to mention none of them have VTT tracking.Top it off with shoddy construction, especially when it comes to the cheap NB fans that launch themselves off of the board and have bearings that squeal incessently ( 3 boards so far, 2 have launched ) For enthusiast level boards, I have found this last round of Abit's I have gone through are VERY disappointing -- Im not skilled enough to do the VTT mod but I shouldn't have to mod a part of the board that other boards like Asus come standard with.

edit -- I also believe the NF7 and many other Abit boards also have this problem.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jsemler/message-images/IC7-MAX3_VTT_Mod/Installation_Guide.htm

http://home.columbus.rr.com/jsemler/message-images/IC7-MAX3_VTT_Mod/Construction_Guide.htm

The faulty M64 is only present on the IC7-Max3 as far as I know, however you are right about the VTT not tracking when vDIMM is raised above 2.8v.

For the record though, the Winbond CH5 "brick-wall" issue is present on ALL i865/i875 boards.

Also to those with XMS3200 memory, different versions use different chips:

XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.1 : Winbond BH-6
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.2 and above : Winbond CH-6
XMS-PC3200LL Rev1.1 : Winbond BH-5
XMS-PC3200LL Rev1.2 : Winbond CH-5
XMS-3200LLPT (2-2-2-6-1T) : Winbond BH-5
XMS/TwinX-PC3200LL Rev1.1 (DualPack) : Winbond BH-5
XMS/TwinX-PC3200LL Rev1.2 (DualPack) : Winbond CH-5

Taken from here

Nitro16 said:
The faulty M64 is only present on the IC7-Max3 as far as I know, however you are right about the VTT not tracking when vDIMM is raised above 2.8v.

For the record though, the Winbond CH5 "brick-wall" issue is present on ALL i865/i875 boards.

Also to those with XMS3200 memory, different versions use different chips:

XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.1 : Winbond BH-6
XMS-PC3200C2 Rev1.2 and above : Winbond CH-6
XMS-PC3200LL Rev1.1 : Winbond BH-5
XMS-PC3200LL Rev1.2 : Winbond CH-5
XMS-3200LLPT (2-2-2-6-1T) : Winbond BH-5
XMS/TwinX-PC3200LL Rev1.1 (DualPack) : Winbond BH-5
XMS/TwinX-PC3200LL Rev1.2 (DualPack) : Winbond CH-5

Taken from here

the brick wall issue wasn't present in my MAX3 when i had a gig Corsair PC3200XMS PRO going 250fsb 2-2-2-5 1:1 :).

flip

I have Abit IC7-G with XMS 3200 C2PT -- I get the brick wall as well. I don't even bother OC'ing anymore.

I hit a brick wall at 234FSB with my 2.8C, even with just my PC4000. I think it's the chip giving out, and not my memory

fLiPaChu said:
the brick wall issue wasn't present in my MAX3 when i had a gig Corsair PC3200XMS PRO going 250fsb 2-2-2-5 1:1 :).

flip

The CH5 issue is only present when using dividers. 1:1 works fine as high as the memory goes.

Back