How Long will the Windows 10 wars last ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrostyAMD

Gawd
Just saw few posts about Windows 10 Anniversary update. This got me to wondering when and how this war will end. What I mean is the war between MS and the enthusiasts, hackers and all who want more control over their Os's. MS has the the money and resources the others only have their willpower and persistence. Sort of like the Revolutionary War. Please give your opinion.

Have Oracle or Adobe yet given up on their albatrosses?

There's a hint.

I think this is being way overblown. Microsoft has no reason to piss off enthusiasts, because each "enthusiast" tends to have an umbrella of people under them that follow their advice. The last thing Microsoft needs, during what is already a time of decreasing market share to companies like Google (via Android devices), is for enthusiasts to be actively seeking alternatives to their products and recommending those alternatives to other people.

I get the impression that most of the limitations they are putting into place are not to stop enthusiasts, but rather, to stop those who really have no fucking clue what they are doing. The same people who spend 30 seconds on google reading a "guide", end up messing up their OS, and then of course blame Microsoft when their computer no longer works correctly.

Calling this a "war on enthusiasts" would be like saying someone is anti-gun just because they don't leave loaded guns in the playpen.

It isn't a war, Microsoft is just trying to build their own walled garden with per-installed spyware on it for their advertising division and big brother.

I think this is being way overblown. Microsoft has no reason to piss off enthusiasts, because each "enthusiast" tends to have an umbrella of people under them that follow their advice. The last thing Microsoft needs, during what is already a time of decreasing market share to companies like Google (via Android devices), is for enthusiasts to be actively seeking alternatives to their products and recommending those alternatives to other people.

I get the impression that most of the limitations they are putting into place are not to stop enthusiasts, but rather, to stop those who really have no fucking clue what they are doing. The same people who spend 30 seconds on google reading a "guide", end up messing up their OS, and then of course blame Microsoft when their computer no longer works correctly.

Calling this a "war on enthusiasts" would be like saying someone is anti-gun just because they don't leave loaded guns in the playpen.

Because not providing a way to turn off spyware is intended to nanny idiots? Get real.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Until subscription only Windows 11 comes out. All will be peace then.

It isn't a war, Microsoft is just trying to build their own walled garden with per-installed spyware on it for their advertising division and big brother.

If anything Microsoft is being a follower here, not a leader. They are copying companies like Apple and Facebook. By the way, no company spies on you more than Google. "Do no evil." Ha!

If anything Microsoft is being a follower here, not a leader. They are copying companies like Apple and Facebook. By the way, no company spies on you more than Google. "Do no evil." Ha!

It's exactly what makes this so funny.
The same people complaining have no qualms using their smartphones everyday. Unless these guys switched to ancient flip-phones, it's hard to take the complaints seriously.

If they didn't want to piss off enthusiasts, then why are they taking steps like forcefully removing the GP object from 10 Pro to turn off Cortana, but leaving it intact for Enterprise? If someone's going to go to the length of editing GPO's, why not let them?

Sorry, your argument doesn't hold water. Seems to me they're systematically doing everything they can *TO* piss off enthusiasts, by creepily eroding and removing options and choice in every update.

It's exactly what makes this so funny.
The same people complaining have no qualms using their smartphones everyday. Unless these guys switched to ancient flip-phones, it's hard to take the complaints seriously.

Except we're talking desktop PC's, not smartphones.

The day we start comparing our desktop PC's to our smartphones we've truly lost the battle to corporate greed.

But google now provides a way for you to delete all the stored data. Did it myself just a week or so ago.

Welcome to My Activity

Every release, people find something new and outrageous to complain about in Windows. A release or two later, and they completely accept and forget about the old outrage and engage the new one. Anyone still care about Vista capable vs. Vista ready? Or forced driver signing? How about incompatibility with the odd XP era program? UAC (though it was toned down a bit)? etc.

I dunno, how long did it take for all the whining about Windows 7 to die down after it released? 5 years?

This happens with every new Windows version and eventually everyone upgrades. Who here is running XP right now? How about 98?

I dunno, how long did it take for all the whining about Windows 7 to die down after it released? 5 years?

This happens with every new Windows version and eventually everyone upgrades. Who here is running XP right now? How about 98?
I don't remember anyone whining about Windows 7. I do remember people saying it was the best OS ever released.

Eventually people won't have a choice but to upgrade because 7 won't be supported anymore and there will be no drivers. I'm really not concerned about it though because I don't give a shit was OS people run.

I don't remember anyone whining about Windows 7. I do remember people saying it was the best OS ever released.

Eventually people won't have a choice but to upgrade because 7 won't be supported anymore and there will be no drivers. I'm really not concerned about it though because I don't give a shit was OS people run.

Its going to reach the point very soon (if we aren't there already) where if you build a new computer, there just wont be a driver for 7. Its 2 generations old now and doesn't make sense for companies to release drivers for an old OS. With that said, people bitched about Windows 7 too. Every Windows release had a good group of people who hate it. People just hate change.

Its going to reach the point very soon (if we aren't there already) where if you build a new computer, there just wont be a driver for 7. Its 2 generations old now and doesn't make sense for companies to release drivers for an old OS. With that said, people bitched about Windows 7 too. Every Windows release had a good group of people who hate it. People just hate change.

False equivalency there - nobody bitched about 7 anywhere near the level of the metro era of Windows suck. And any minor gripes were a far cry from the consumer hostile erosion of features and options that MS continues pulling in 10. People hate change when it's not for the better.

And it still makes sense for companies to release drivers for 7, since Windows 10 is only 19% of PCs, while there are still hundreds of millions of 7 machines out there and that pool will be around another decade. If the MS cronies thought people clung to XP, 7 is going to be 10x that because of MS's arrogance with 10.

So there really is no need to rush into 10 when MS is constantly pulling the rug out from users with every major update, 7 and 8.1 are working fine and will be supported til 2020 and 2023 respectively, and DX12 has yet to prove itself beyond a marketing bulletpoint.

I don't hate change, since that is the nature of the Universe itself ("The only constant in the Universe is change..." and all that) but I do despise change for the sake of change just because somebody decided they needed to change things even when it's not necessarily a good thing. As has been stated many times, there's nothing in Windows 10 that couldn't have been implemented in 7/8/8.1 except maybe DirectX 12 (and I have my doubts on that one since it's just freakin' code at the heart on the Windows side, the hardware is part of the GPU aspect). But anyway, Windows 10 offers nothing for me over Windows 7 - I don't game and even if I did (well I do but it's only Quake III 'cause that's all that I personally care about) I wouldn't base an entire OS just on that one aspect: those games run just fine in DX11 mode from what I understand and it could be years before DX12 games are even available in large quantities.

Look, Windows 10 has now been "out" for a solid year, we all have our opinions and experiences with it, supporting it (when necessary as I almost refuse to do it for clients in all situations), and generally dealing with it overall so all we're doing now is just rehashing the same old shit over and over again in these types of discussions.

As for a "Windows 10 wars" I won before the first shot was ever fired by making the decision to never use it as my daily runner OS. I did take advantage of the free upgrade, yes, on two laptops but that was only so potential future owners of these laptops (if I choose to sell them at some point) have the option to use Windows 10 at their peri---errr... discretion. :D

Reactions: DPI
like this
OK, I'll play along, what did you mean if not the OS makes you miserable. Please be detailed.
Windows ME. Windows Millenium Edition. Windows Miserable Edition. That was its nickname for years.

Hence. Whoosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back