How long until the 5850 is around 250 prince point?

AMDXP

2[H]4U
I'm hoping by September or Christmas.They're already around 289. It's the only card I can justify going to from my 8800; however the 5830 looks decent as well, but not significantly better.

If you're waiting till then to buy a card, may as well wait for AMD's southern island.

I do think the card should be around that price in September, maybe less.

funny thing is they were $259 when they launched in September last year.

It's hit $270 a few times already so it's getting close. Usually after 8 months a video card would be at least $50 below retail.

Lol other than sales, over here in Canada, prices have been going up. Pretty simple, no competition initially and demand was high, low supply, price goes up.

Still very low competition but Nvidias prices have been dropping where it's been able to compete. If that continues and supply increases (I don't really see demand changing), you can see prices drop.

GTX 460 due out in a week or so is going to seriously compete with 5850, so expect the 5850 to drop a bit.

NV has been deliberately avoiding price wars with ATI by positioning their cards in different price brackets so that the competition is not as direct.

The GTX 460 1GB will most likely be faster than GTX 465, and therefore within say, 5% of 5850's performance. The amazing overclockability of GTX 460 would change the story if rumors hold true (although at the cost of power consumption, but so what)!

funny thing is they were $259 when they launched in September last year.

This^

5850 prices are so messed up it's not even funny. I was able to get a BNIB 5850 in Canada for $260 last year. Good luck trying to get one for under $300 these days.

GTX 460 due out in a week or so is going to seriously compete with 5850, so expect the 5850 to drop a bit.

NV has been deliberately avoiding price wars with ATI by positioning their cards in different price brackets so that the competition is not as direct.

The GTX 460 1GB will most likely be faster than GTX 465, and therefore within say, 5% of 5850's performance. The amazing overclockability of GTX 460 would change the story if rumors hold true (although at the cost of power consumption, but so what)!

So you have this card in your system and an NDA is preventing you from talking about your benching and overclocking results right? If not then all you are spewing is rumor and fact-less fanboy speculation.

So you have this card in your system and an NDA is preventing you from talking about your benching and overclocking results right? If not then all you are spewing is rumor and fact-less fanboy speculation.
whats with the shitty attitude? basically all he is saying is that it looks like it may help spur a price drop for the 5850. the gtx460 is pretty close to launch and most of the rumors are from solid sources and he even said "if rumors hold true".

5870s used sell for around the $300-320 price point here on the forums and on eBay as well. And from experience a 5850 to a 5870 was a worthy upgrade and for not much more.

don't be a bitch

$229 for a 5850? Hook me up!

Exactly. I'll skip buying a Geforce card for this cycle for prices like that. Especially since ATi's driver team have really come together since the last time I used a Radeon card (2005).

Shitty drivers were the biggest reason I ended up switching to nVIDIA cards in the first place, not to mention their excellent OpenGL performance. A couple cool games with PhysX kept me in green goblin land when the 4800 series was out, but with no more major games with PhysX, and the fact that I'm on my 4th RMA for this GTX 260 sitting in front of me, I'm more open to alternatives. Especially ones that draw a lot less power and don't sound like a dustbuster.

Still, I think I'll just start putting money in the bank for a Southern Islands part and hold tight with the 260 until then.

Last edited:
Lol other than sales, over here in Canada, prices have been going up. Pretty simple, no competition initially and demand was high, low supply, price goes up.

Still very low competition but Nvidias prices have been dropping where it's been able to compete. If that continues and supply increases (I don't really see demand changing), you can see prices drop.

if its within 5% of 5850, then its pretty much 5% with 470..

I highly doubt that..

whats with the shitty attitude? basically all he is saying is that it looks like it may help spur a price drop for the 5850. the gtx460 is pretty close to launch and most of the rumors are from solid sources and he even said "if rumors hold true".

Dude, thanks.

don't be a bitch

You couldn't have said it better than that *evil laughter*! :D

if its within 5% of 5850, then its pretty much 5% with 470..

I highly doubt that..

Naw, the 470 is more than 5% faster than the 5850. Well, if the 460 does have 32 ROP's and the "leaked" specs as found in this thread: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1530311 then it should be maybe 5% slower than the 5850, but yeah, it could be like 10% slower. I dunno!

agreed. just traded my 2x xfx 5850s for a 480+ coolit alc eco cooler. going from matx gaming to mini itx... can only take 1 card to the party :)

ditto, only I went 5970 (basically the exact same thing as 2x 5850s, lol)... this is going to be a fun shrink from an antec 1200 to mini-itx

Back